hows the crime near in puerto plata?

jon3

Aug 3, 2013
Seems like all that I'm reading lately about the dominican is robbery, robbery, robbery. Seems like the prices went up as the housing boom in america was rising and then the prices in the dominican never came down after the crash? is that accurate? Seems like poverty is hitting hard and people are getting desparate.

I'm just speculating, but I'm very curious.

I carry a concealed in the US, seems like I should look into doing the same for down there? how would I go about doing that if I'm just on a visa? has anybody tried it?

-j

What kind of visa are you on?
I have been told IT IS NOT a good idea to carry on you b/c it can make you a bigger target for crime against you or get you in the wrong situation.
Guns are expensive here so you may be robbed just for your gun.
On a visitor Visa or 3 month Visa you will not be able to get a gun license, I forget the exact laws but you have to be here for a bit and go through a lot of tests and paper work.

It's always easy to get an illegal gun but is dangerous if you ever have to use it, either way legal or illegal shootings could get you in a lot of trouble with the locals!!!

Yes the prices went up, and they never came down. You are correct. Now these owners want to sell, but they still believe they can get alot of money for their overpriced property in a third world country.
-
Now here is a little advice i want you to keep back in your head: A property down here is only worth as much as YOU are willing to pay, as long as you have money 100% ready you are in a very very strong position when negotiating a purchase. If the seller dont want to lower the price ALOT- then you just walk away. There are so many "one-in-a-lifetime" propertys for sale here, that it is of no importance if the owners "dont want" to sell.

This is a different country, but you do not need any gun down here. I would recommend a shotgun when buying a home, but that i would recommend anyone who are buying a home, anywhere in the world.

Yes you can easily get a illegal gun down here, so if you have a hidden pervertion that you want to sit on the dirtfloor in a tiny Dominican Gulag with 90 other men, then that is the way to go.
If you do not want to experience this, then just do everything legal and stay away from any form of activities that will lead into problems.

Paradise can very quickly turn into a living hell.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what the hell, do you ask abut carrying a gun in every country you visit? are you james bond or something? have some respect for the local law, it ain't murica.
stay away from guns. stay away from drugs. both those things can get you in deep, deep trouble. people have been known to be killed, just for their gun (mainly military and watchmen).
DR is not sierra leone, yemen or syria. it's a normal country. the crime is present but if you avoid trouble the trouble will avoid you. this is a tourist destination, not a war zone.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You cannot legally have a gun until you have legal residency here.
Actually two years after.

And when you do get a gun (VERY expensive here) TELL NO ONE!

Guns are tools. Unless you brag about your hammers or screwdrivers, don't brag about your gun.

Get dogs first for early warning.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have been told IT IS NOT a good idea to carry on you b/c it can make you a bigger target for crime against you or get you in the wrong situation.
How would anyone know, unless you carried in such a way that's it's not concealed...or talked about it?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I would not advise buying illegally. People need to learn to take the information they are given about how things are here and then remember it is unlikely to be the same for us foreigners, on everything. You can walk down any street, go into any bar or colmado, ask any (alright, within intelligent thought) Policia National and arrange to buy a gun, but the chance that you will be arrested and fleeced when it comes to be picked up are really high. Foreigners are getting set up left right and center, if you're not dominican you can't network like a dominican to protect your arse. When people first come here they are always stoked about how lawless and different this place is, it seems you can do anything with money. But over time you begin to see the big clear picture and it is ALWAYS best to do EVERYTHING within the law, it will catch up with you in some way, somehow, some day. You need illegal guns here like you do drugs.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There is robbery all over the world, especially in tourist destinations. Just take normal precautions, such as not showing off how much money you are carrying, and you don't need to worry more than you would in, say, London. A gun is not necessary - it is not the wild west.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There is robbery all over the world, especially in tourist destinations. Just take normal precautions, such as not showing off how much money you are carrying, and you don't need to worry more than you would in, say, London. A gun is not necessary - it is not the wild west.

He probably would not stand out as much in London as it is so multicultured. Here a gringo stands out like a pig in a pussy farm and all gringos are millionaires in the eyes of those too stupid to need to rob us. Yu don't need to do anything to avoid being robbed here, just be lucky and stop trying too hard at being friends with natives.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
"Think outside the box ..."

Something like this works very well for me in tropical weather conditions ...

Amazon.com: fanny pack holster

Easy to draw while sitting/driving ... and with practice, one can draw without moving your shoulders (covert).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't know i just picture since it's so hot here with little clothes the gun will show somehow??!!!
A "friend" of mine tried it once and his wife freaked and said you can see it!
I hear what you're saying, but if I was going to go someplace where I felt the need to carry, I wouldn't dress with clothes that would be revealing. Jeans and a floppy shirt with a good holster would work.

I like the fanny pack idea, also.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't know i just picture since it's so hot here with little clothes the gun will show somehow??!!! A "friend" of mine tried it once and his wife freaked and said you can see it!

a policeman i know carries his gun in a pocket. god knows pockets in man's pants are way deeper than in female clothing. i dunno, maybe dudes like to stroke peen head or something. anyways, the policeman: shorts or kinda sweatpants with deep pockets. i am pretty sure one day he'll forget the security, have an accident and will be known as no-dick manolo.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Actually two years after.

And when you do get a gun (VERY expensive here) TELL NO ONE!

Guns are tools. Unless you brag about your hammers or screwdrivers, don't brag about your gun.

Get dogs first for early warning.

Actually if you do get a gun, let it be known that you have one. This way the thieves are likely to go elsewhere, they really want an easy life so they are MUCH more likely to raid your neighbour, who isn't armed. The idea is PREVENTION, and it's worked very well for me over the last 9 years here (ask my nieghbours)

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Actually if you do get a gun, let it be known that you have one. This way the thieves are likely to go elsewhere, they really want an easy life so they are MUCH more likely to raid your neighbour, who isn't armed. The idea is PREVENTION, and it's worked very well for me over the last 9 years here (ask my nieghbours)
To escape a man eating tiger, you do not have to run faster than the tiger, you only have to run faster than your friend.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Mr. AE's cousin has a job that pretty much requires he carry a gun. He's at our house very often, and when we leave he's the only one with keys to the house. He agrees with you. He makes a point of 'target practice' from time to time in the back of the finca, just to remind the neighbors that there is a gun on the property.