Coming into DR with a laptop, is there a tax?

jon3

Aug 3, 2013
I'm traveling to the DR on vacation, but came across a thread about laptops being taxed quit high. Is this true? does anybody know if I'll be taxed for bringing my laptop with me?

-j

Apr 13, 2011
Agreed - a laptop you bring with you to use while on vacation will have no problems.
Nobody has even asked me to open my laptop bag after arriving at any of the DR airports I have used.
I have had a few times (not often) when they wanted to look through my actual luggage, but then got waived through without having to pay any fees.
You will have no problem with your laptop. When you fly home, you will do the same thing you normally do at airport security - put the laptop in a separate bucket as it gets scanned with any other carry-on that you have - but no fees.
I believe the other threads were discussing when a person has a laptop shipped to them, because then customs views it as a resale item and wants the taxes.
Wherever you are staying for vacation - ask about internet access - some places have it in every room, some only in the common areas, some places charge extra, some provide it free.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Lap tops are like cameras and cell phones now a days!! No issues at all...smile and walk thru the gates!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I came with a huge computer tour (desktop computer) in a separate box and a 30" monitor in my suitcAse last time... Didnt pay nothing they did check it tho and try to hustle a tip, i gived them 5$ and argue 5-10 mins before they let me go.

Anyway, no u will never have to pay nothing for a laptop!

jon3

Aug 3, 2013
thanks guys. im a software developer coming to live in dr for a season. i kinda need my equipment. lol