New Member Needing Suggestions/UNPHU area

Martin Baba

Aug 6, 2013
Hi. I'm a new member here and I'm actually posting for a friend who's currently attending graduate school at
UNPHU (His internet service is down at the moment and he's busy with exams).

He's lived in the DR for almost a year now; his current furnished apartment was found under the time and cultural pressures of moving to a new country and having only a week or so to find housing. His current living situation is adequate, but he's trying to find something more suitable. I'll make a list of considerations below and I'd welcome not only tips for actual rentals but also other things one should take into mind.

1. Within walking distance of UNPHU (he's currently in Arroyo Hondo). I guess there are several different neighborhoods surrounding the campus.

2. One or two bedrooms. (He currently has three and the unit is simply too large and hard to maintain with a busy schedule).

3. Pet (cat) friendly (From what I understand, most units in the DR will accept pets and this isn't such an issue as many places in the U.S.).

4. Furnished or unfurnished. I would appreciate anyone's input in terms of the costs of furnishing a one bedroom apartment and whether this is advisable.

5. Prefer a unit with a laundry room.

6. Price range <$500 US or 20,000 Dominican.

Thanks in advance.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Let's see. Walking distance is very relative, but in general the only neighborhood I would suggest is where he already lives, Arroyo Hondo. The rest are either too expensive (Piantini, Evaristo Morales) or not good neighborhoods like Los Jardines or Claret.
Now, US$500 for a one-bedroom seems enough. Maybe he can find some 2-bedroom apartments for that in that area, but I don't think he will be able to find furnished units in that monthly rent range. Pretty much all apartments in the neighborhood will have a "laundry room" (it won't include washer or dryier, though, just the "room"). Pets are not usually a problem, specially cats as they don't make noise and don't smell, which are usually what neighbors complain about.
I live in the area, so I know my way around the neighborhood.

Good luck.