papers mother-in-law

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Hi, we would like to apply for a tourist visa for my husbands mother to meet her grandchild. But in order tot do that she first needs a passport. I understand she needs an acta de nacimiento and has to legalize this. Does this have to be done in the city where she was born or can it be done in other places as well. She does have a c?dula already.
Also does anyone know how much this cost (approximately) and if she needs anything else to get her passport? (And again same questions, where can this be done and what would the price be).

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Where is this 'La feria' (center De Los heroes) to legalize the acta de nacimiento. Is this a place in santo domingo or something else?

Mother in law is from moca and lives in cabarete. And are the prices mentioned in the post still correct (or almost correct) or did the quadruple the prices in the mean time. On the internet I can only find the price of a passport, but nothing on the acta de nacimiento.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where is this 'La feria' (center De Los heroes) to legalize the acta de nacimiento. Is this a place in santo domingo or something else?

Mother in law is from moca and lives in cabarete. And are the prices mentioned in the post still correct (or almost correct) or did the quadruple the prices in the mean time. On the internet I can only find the price of a passport, but nothing on the acta de nacimiento.

In Santo Domingo, where Avenida Churchill meets the Malecon.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Ok, thanks. So this has to be done in Santo Domingo? They can't do this in Sosua, Puerto plata or even Santiago?

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I have a new question, mother-in-law went to the place to get the birth certificate. But it only says her moms last name (not from her dad). She has a cedula which says both last names. So she went back (and had to pay again ...sigh) and got the same birth certificate again with 1 last name! They say the dads last name is not in the system/she is not declared by him (how can it be on the cedula then???).
Anyway my question is: can we just keep this birth certificate and get the passport with it, or do we have to fix this first, because she will have problem with this 1 last name (and cedula with 2).

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I will save you a lot of money, time and heartache. The US will not issue visitor visas to Dominicans. They will have you fill out the lengthy paperwork, charge you money, interview you then tell you that you do not qualify for a visit visa. They will not tell you what you can do to further qualify. From time to time they do issue a visitor visa but to seems almost arbitrary. A friend
applied five times for her boyfriend and after four turndowns she got lucky on the fifth try. Nothing changed in their
relationship or assets from the first to the final time. The US does not want to shut down the visitor visa program
completely so they give out one once in a while so that it appears the program is working. Plus they make a ton of money on
all the turn downs. On our turn down day my wife watched hundreds of people get a no before it was her turn to be refused.
I was so infuriated by this treatment that I applied for a green card and it was granted without a hitch. The green cardprocess is lengthy but at least its honest. This is only my opinion and experience but the visitor visa program is a money
making scam that victimized thousands of people every month. On our turn down day they processed four or five
hundred and its expensive, like $400 as I recall to apply. 400x400=$ 160,000 USD, Not bad for one days take. Run the entire embassy for what they make no problem. As an interesting aside the same interviewer who turned down my wife for a visitor
visa swept us through the visa interview and he had all our information right in front of him much to our
surprise. The only sneaky thing he did was to try and catch us in a lie where there were differences in our previous paper
work. If you are caught in a lie its an automatic turndown. He was very slick about how he handled this part of the interview
and I feel like he was trying to catch us in a lie so he could turn us down. A real cold hearted prick and clever. Whatever you
decide to do good luck.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Visitor visas do get issued. We have to understand the fact that most of those who apply for it really don't meet the requirements to be issued one. Hence the huge rate of rejections.
But I think we can all agree that no country, even if they really wanted to, can cancel its visitor visa program. They can make it as strict as they want (as the US has) but cannot shut it down. Thousands of people enter the US everyday to make business on visitor visas. Millions of dollars are spent every day by tourists on visitor visa in the US.

You have to understand that US consuls have to deal with hundreds of applicants every day who in one way or another are trying to trick them. In countries like DR, where almost everyone has a family member living in the US, and many of them here want to stay illegally in the US, extreme precautions are taken. I agree that at times it seems almost decided by whim, and maybe it is sometimes, but if you meet all the requirements chances are you will be issued a visitor visa.

Princesa777, there are 2 kinds of "Actas de Nacimiento" in DR. The regular one and a summarized version. You have to specify which one you need, depending on what you're going to use it for. I guess for a passport you can use the short version, but I don't really know.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
We dont live in the usa, but in Europe. Still, I'm not really sure if she will get one. But it is worth a try, since its the only realistic option of getting a bond between grandmother and grandson. We will only be able to go there once a year for a couple of weeks...if we r lucky. If we can get her a visa for 3 months every year (or every other year) it would really be better.
The application for the visa is also not that expensive, maybe $50, so it's definitely worth a shot...if she can get a passport.

I don't really know which acta De nacimiento she needs (didn't even know there were 2 kinds). But I'm pretty sure she has the right one...just with incomplete information and I dont know if that could be a problem.
My husband also has only 1 last name, because his dad did not declare him and that has never been a problem. But on his cedula is only 1 name as well where as his mom has 2...