Tourism in Haiti

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Club Indigo Beach 08 - YouTube

Hotel Haiti

These three.. are on what is called the Cote des Arcadins.. a strip of stunning beach which is about two hours north of Port au Prince.. between the City and St Marc.. I lived north of there ,, on the peninsula off of St Marc when I worked for Baskin in the Sun thirty years ago. This has certainly the best diving on the Island, although I am not sure about the facilities. Kaliko probably has fill up capacity for tanks..,, There are great walls and sponges.. OK not at lot of fish and probably the corals have suffered over the years as they have everywhere.

You will see that all the hotels are small. All .. except for the few being built now in PauPrince, are local. The service is impeccable. The beaches are wonderfully clean. These are the hotels that I know.

I will continue to post so that you can perhaps see a bit of the Haiti that I know and why I am, as CB says. "all in" for Haiti.

Unlike the DR, the entire coastline of Haiti remains in HAitian hands.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

Oh that is GREAT! Major.. I had reports on the guy from Lonely Planet who contacted a frined of mine.. Voyages Lumiere who is a travel agent.. She said he was just wonderful, went everywhere on a tap tap *bus.. and covered the entire island. It is wonderful that they put it on line ... that really helps.

I neer found the DR guide very helpful.

But the youtube videos are great.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
All the fantastic resorts in Haiti won't make up for the PR disaster that the country has become.

The Minister of Tourism in Haiti has one of the most difficult jobs on the Planet Earth.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
All the fantastic resorts in Haiti won't make up for the PR disaster that the country has become.

The Minister of Tourism in Haiti has one of the most difficult jobs on the Planet Earth.

Always negative bro. I'm sure these people haven't done anything injurious to yourself or your ancestors. Take a look at Rwanda for example. Only twenty years from a genocide and mistrust between the Tutsi and Hutu, yet today they have a thriving tourism industry. They came out of the ashes not even two decades ago.

Nothing is impossible bro, just the right people and environment.

Mar 1, 2009
Listen Annie, once there is money to be made. The powers that be will sell off those beaches that are now in HAITIAN HANDS as you claim. The only thing keeping them in those hands is the instability. However if the country becomes a place where they want to park there money there will be nothing the Haitian people will be able to do.
It's very nice that you want to promote Haiti on a DR news and information page.
It provides a nice balance. Even though you are sometimes unbalanced in your derision and impeachment of Dominicans in particular and in general.
The Haitians should learn from the North Koreans and the Iranians how to develop there economy under horrible conditions. Everything they have done until now has been pretty dismal so far a new approach is needed. One approach might even be you moving to Port Au Prince and perform your agitation from over there.
Give it a thought. Take Criss Colon with you.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You know Lando, I really have thought how amazing this island could be if there were not this ancient feud between the two peoples and if there could be a jointly managed ecosytem.

I sincerely doubt that Haiti will ever be sold off to foreign investors although there is push to welcome them.

When I lived in Haiti there was more tourism there than there was here to the Dominican Republic.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

I agree. And the hotels are expensive. But even the AIs here are getting expensive. It was one thing when they were a bargin at under a hundred a night but now that they are more like $200 per person .. and very crowded.. and the flights.. well.. who knows.

Jet Blue will start service to PauP in December

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Always negative bro. I'm sure these people haven't done anything injurious to yourself or your ancestors. Take a look at Rwanda for example. Only twenty years from a genocide and mistrust between the Tutsi and Hutu, yet today they have a thriving tourism industry. They came out of the ashes not even two decades ago.

Nothing is impossible bro, just the right people and environment.

Not a fair comparison.

Tutsi and Hutu are of the same "specie" and share a similar culture and language.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Not a fair comparison.

Tutsi and Hutu are of the same "specie" and share a similar culture and language.

Actually I think delite made a very fair comparison....Haitians and Dominicans are all human beings and altho their are some differences in ways of viewing their worlds they also have similarities in language and culture......indeed Nothing is impossible unless thinking remains negative

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
One approach might even be you moving to Port Au Prince and perform your agitation from over there.
Give it a thought. Take Criss Colon with you.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You know I've wondered about this too. I've noticed that some of the expats on here defend Haiti, and Haitians to death, yet some even aren't that fond of us lying, un trustful, lazy, racist Dominicans. I wonder why most of them don't pack and leave to the wonderful land of Haiti. Honestly, I just don't get it, why be surrounded by evil Doms when you can go to paradise, and live with your beloved Haitians. Reminds me of the many Dominican Yorks who bash the US every chance they get, and are always complaining about how racist white Americans are, and how they wish they could live in DR, yet these same people will never ever move out of the US.

I'm all about the pursuit of happiness, in which ever country this may be at. And some expats simply don't seem to be happy in DR, maybe they should take your advise, and try Haiti, I'm sure they'll love it there.

Last edited: