North Coast Strength for the Journey

Aug 21, 2007
Sometimes, reading the dr1 message board, one is left with the impression- especially for the North Coast- that nothing goes on other than activity with bars, girls, police, and controversy. I thought it might be worthwhile to write this informational post to let you know what else takes place aside from all that.

I happen to manage a very small charity called Strength for the Journey. We are not a mission, although several churches and religious people take part, in addition to those who are of other faiths than Christianity and those not religious at all. We are made up of people from all over the world, including many here on the North Coast. Over the years, our group has taken on various local charity projects, including supporting an orphanage, helping children with medical conditions, driving HIV/AIDS patients to the clinic, providing food package to those in extreme poverty, and contributing support for small scale entrepreneurial projects.

Currently- and what I want to tell you about- we are involved with sending children back to school. Community leaders in Los Charimicos, Cangrejo, Sosua Abajo, Montellano, and the bateys behind Montellano have identified children in dire need. My group did a fund raising campaign with individuals or small groups of people together pledging funds to send a child to school, providing him/her with shoes, a uniform, a book bag, pens, pencils, and eraser, notebooks and paper. Three huge shopping trips took place, followed by hours of sorting clothing and shoe sizes and packing book bags.

Tomorrow, Monday, we will go on the final shopping trip and pack the last bunch of bags.

We are proud to report that, in all, our group with have supported 75 children in need with items necessary to attend school.

This project is successful because of many individuals, here and abroad, who generously gave their time and money to make the North Coast of the Dominican Republic better for all. When we provide a child with education, we are planting a seed for a world we will never see.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Hi Lindsey! I enjoyed the short time we spent at the Del Mar Neptuna in May. Perhaps I'll get to see you again next year. You guys are doing great work! It is good that remind us here on the Forum that there is actually more than sex and alcohol going on the north coast. If you have a FaceBook presence let me know and send me a friend request. I'll post to my Friends and encourage their support.

Aug 21, 2007
Hi Lindsey! I enjoyed the short time we spent at the Del Mar Neptuna in May. Perhaps I'll get to see you again next year. You guys are doing great work! It is good that remind us here on the Forum that there is actually more than sex and alcohol going on the north coast. If you have a FaceBook presence let me know and send me a friend request. I'll post to my Friends and encourage their support.

Hi, Ron- I am on FB. Further, Strength for the Journey has a Facebook group where members make all project decisions, report progress and finances and post photos. Search for us on FB then ask to join the group. I will make you a member and also send you a personal "Friend" request. Thanks for the interest and support.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Could you post a link to receive donations?

Are you in the DR? Or the US? Or another country? There is a US mailing address. People abroad send via Paypal. And those in the DR contact me and we find a way to get contributions from point A to point B. Let me know where you are, Pollogringo, and I will message you the information.

Thanks!
Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lindsey: Great work. It certainly shows people the "other" side of life in the DR. The life that so many of us happen to live outside of the bars (except Rocky's Blues Bar) and "other" places.

Thank you for reminding us of the good side of things.

Cordially,

HB

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Hi Linsey thanks for sharing this with us....well done to all concerned
You are quite right that dr1 can sometimes lean towards the bar/girl/police activity scene and I myself admit to having posted topics around that area.
Keep us all informed and I feel sure that your message will generate more help towards childrens education in the D.R.

Aug 21, 2007
Just want to also mention that not one peso of Strength for the Journey donations goes for administration, gas, salaries, or compensation of any sort. 100% of all donations go directly to the cause or project for which they were intended. When we have completed the Back to School Project, we will be taking on another, especially exciting project. I will write about that when the time comes.

Thanks for the verbal support. Should anyone be interested in hands-on help here on the North Coast, let me know.

Lindsey

bxjim

Aug 14, 2013
A great group helping kids on the N.Caost

I happen to manage a very small charity called Strength for the Journey. We are made up of people from all over the world, including many here on the North Coast. Over the years, our group has taken on various local charity projects, including supporting an orphanage, helping children with medical conditions, driving HIV/AIDS patients to the clinic, providing food package to those in extreme poverty, and contributing support for small scale entrepreneurial projects.

Currently we are involved with sending children back to school. Community leaders in Los Charimicos, Cangrejo, Sosua Abajo, Montellano, and the bateys behind Montellano have identified children in dire need. My group did a fund raising campaign with individuals or small groups of people together pledging funds to send a child to school, providing him/her with shoes, a uniform, a book bag, pens, pencils, and eraser, notebooks and paper. We are proud to report that, in all, our group with have supported 75 children in need with items necessary to attend school.

This project is successful because of many individuals, here and abroad, who generously gave their time and money to make the North Coast of the Dominican Republic better for all. When we provide a child with education, we are planting a seed for a world we will never see.

This is a wonderful grass roots group here in the N.Coast doing great things for kids and families. Check out and friend their facebook page: "Strength for the Journey" and you'll find the stories and pictures of real kids and families from Puerto Plata to Sosua to Cabarete. Great stuff still happens when you get involved.
Jim

Aug 21, 2007
All the back packs and school supplies have been distributed. After everything was purchased, distributed, and totaled, Strength for the Journey prepared 80 children living in poverty in communities between Los Charimicos and Montellano for the first day of school. Thanks to the dr1 members- and other North Coast residents who helped to make this possible.

I am posting a link with photos, but I don't think this is the way to do it, as they don't seem to be embedded in the post. Sorry. If someone can either fix it or pm me how, I will do so.

kaufmanlindsey1's Library | Photobucket

Lindsey