La Sirena Coming

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Rumors have been flying for a while, but according to lasterrenaslive.com La Sirena Department Store/
Supermarket is going to be a reality in Las Terrenas. Building is supposed to begin in Feb. of 2014. This will
create jobs and have an impact on prices in the village.

LTSteve

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Good news. I just hope they build it far away from the beach, so it doesn't ruin the perfect atmosphere there.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
great for them (+/- 18,000 las terranas inhabitants), but we need one in sosua too +/- 45,000 inhabitants !!

recycle

Jun 28, 2012
I cant believe there will be any sirena in Las Terrenas
actually this is a non confirmed rumors (read: urban legend)

- Megastores like that needs hundreds of trucks going in & out weekly: narrow streets of the pueblo does not permits the heavy loads.

- The hill around LT (fuel consumption) and the boulevard ticket would also increase the costs of the transport.

- Megastores are situated in higly populated areas and this is not the case

I' not a market consultant, but Sirena in Las Terrenas makes no sense for me

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I heard the rumor is big, and it seems to be true. But it shall be located on main street, between Helados Bon and "20 y 10". It will kill most of sloppy inefficient small businesses down here in LT, but it's a good thing to move forward, and balance will come through the massive amount of employment.
I can't wait to buy my food there, as there is more choice than local supermarkets, and it is about half-price from Lindo ;)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Why in the world would they put that size store in the middle of town. I would be very surprised if it was built there. It makes
no sense. The location I mentioned has easy access for both customers and deliveries. Trucks can take the new highway cut off and avoid having to go through the center of LT.

LTSteve

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hope not. Most of their stuff is junk made in China. I'll stick with Playero.

I would take La Sirena over Playero any time. I guess the rumors of a La Sirena in the Sosua/Cabarete area were just rumors.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I hope not. Most of their stuff is junk made in China. I'll stick with Playero.

They just started to build La Sirena in La Romana, and rumors says that when finish there will come to San Pedro, looks like they have a very big plan of expantion. About the stuff each Sirena has stuffs acording the area where they are, for example the stuffs that you find in La Sirena Churchill or Galerias 360, are not the same you find in La Sirena Mella or Villa Mella. The same happend with Plaza Lama, you dont find the same stuff in Plaza Lama 27 de Febrero than Plaza Lama Duarte.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
It has been confirmed. But it won't be a "Multicentro La Sirena". It will be a "Super Pola". This is mostly a food-only supermarket. And yes, the location will be in front of Plaza Italia.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
La Sirena

It has been confirmed. But it won't be a "Multicentro La Sirena". It will be a "Super Pola". This is mostly a food-only supermarket. And yes, the location will be in front of Plaza Italia.

I confirmed the same info with a real estate friend of mine in LT. This will certainly make Lindo Supermarket lower there prices. They have made a lot of money being the only real game in town and their prices reflect this . Competition is good for all.

LTSteve

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
This might probably kill Lindo (they kinda deserve it), but also Rey & Atlantic...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I believe The French will still patronize Lindo because they have so much imported food from France, albeit expensive, but it is nice.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know the area but i know that la sirena has also smaller shops apart from those molochs in larger cities. and i believe they have plans to open several more shops in different areas and enlarge the number of employers from 8000 to 10000 in total.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
New Market in 2014

This might probably kill Lindo (they kinda deserve it), but also Rey & Atlantic...

Yes, Lindo will probably lose some of it's business but they can still do well if they become more competitive with pricing and if I were them I would start immediately to get their prices down.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
other markets can survive competition with la sirena. just offer slightly lower prices, stay open for longer and bring in the goods that la sirena does not carry. in POP the arrival of the force of ramos did change existing shops but they did survive.