Young Dominican American Starting Over! Wish me luck...

Hi everyone and welcome to my thread. I have secretly scoured the pages of DR1 for a few months now along with some other expat blogs that have been very informative and amusing. I am still in the process of putting this all together and am hoping to be moving back to DR early next year. Once the Holidays are over it should all start to settle shortly thereafter.

A little about me: Originally born in NY now reside in Sunny South Florida with my 4 children. Both of my parents are originally from DR. I have lived and studied there many years ago. I have been going back and forth with moving back there. Still unclear on the route I'm taking to achieve this in terms of residency or citizenship. Perhaps you all can clarify some of these implications, process and cost for each.

I would like information and perhaps referrals on schools, doctors, hospitals, health insurance, safe areas to live as a single mother with my 4 children, along with cost of living and even extracurricular activities available for the kids. My kids range in age from 12, 6, 3 and 2.

Some of my questions are below:

Are private international schools the only option? I personally would prefer local teaching focusing on our history and our literature. They can continue to speak English at home.

Hiring a babysitter, housekeeper averages are what per month?

Activities for kid?s afterschool and cost? Karate, Basketball, Baseball, Dance, Gymnastics etc. Hope I?m not naive to hope these exist here.

Need someone that speaks English that can serve as a personal assistant to answer phones, faxes, emails etc. Doesn't have to be perfect, I can help them refine.

Safe, nice areas to live in with price averages?

I don't require work as I own an online vehicle shipping company that I run from my home.

Finally would like to volunteer to teach English or a cause that helps feed, educate or encourage young women and men, boys and girls. Preferably something I can do with my 2 oldest.

Thanks for reading, I anxiously close!
:rambo:

Welcome to Dr1! I know nothing about school stuff!

I read quickly, did I miss the area you are going to move to?? SD? NC? You will have to narrow down the area for people to give you prices on some things I think?!
Or people can help more if they know what your price range for housing is.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Welcome and Good Luck.

If you're going North Coast, I know of a small school/charity that would love some new energy. I'll send you a link.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I presume your kids speak Spanish??? If so, you don't need an international school.

All our nieces and nephews in SD got excellent educations at Catholic schools, I can ask the names if you're heading there. Now they're all young adults [20-30 somethings] and very successful in their careers.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
"I don't require work as I own an online vehicle shipping company that I run from my home"

If you are shipping cars to the DR I would assume you have more connections and knowledge than most DR1ers. If you ship cars from NY, please PM me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Normally my response to such a request would be why would you do such a thing, but you are Dominican, have a business you can run from anywhere, and would understand the risks better than most.

If you are Dominican based upon your parents, get all of the information you can about them and you can fairly easily become a citizen which is probably best in your case. Residency is now a royal pain in the butt.

As for prices, they will vary widely based upon the location you choose. I am on the north coast and it is vastly different than Santigo or Santo Domingo.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are private international schools the only option? I personally would prefer local teaching focusing on our history and our literature. They can continue to speak English at home.
All private international schools cover the core subjects in Spanish as required by the Ministry of Education. They teach Lengua Espa?ola, Sociales, Moral y C?vica and Mathematics using the approved textbooks.

If you definitely want to avoid the international schools, good schools in the capital that are not bilingual/international include Babeque, Lux Mundi and La Salle.

Hiring a babysitter, housekeeper averages are what per month?
Around RD$10-12,000 but depends where you live and whether she is full time/part time/live in. It will be less in a small pueblo and more in tourist areas. There have been threads about this on DR1 - try the search function.

Activities for kid’s afterschool and cost? Karate, Basketball, Baseball, Dance, Gymnastics etc. Hope I’m not naive to hope these exist here.
They all exist and will vary according to location. Most private schools will have them, often for no extra cost, as part of their extra curricular programme.

Safe, nice areas to live in with price averages?
In Santo Domingo? Rental or purchase? House or apartment? It also depends which school you choose. Bella Vista, Cacigazgos, Mirador Sur, Arroyo Hondo, Naco, Piantini, Julieta, Evaristo Morales, Gazcue, La Julia, La Esperilla, Seralles are just a few.
Here on the east coast it also varies wildly but people living in the nice/safe areas (Cocotal, Punta Cana Village, Res. B?varo-Punta Cana, Los Corales) pay around 1,000 US per month, sometimes much less. There is more offer than demand so it is possible to negotiate a lower rate.

Finally would like to volunteer to teach English or a cause that helps feed, educate or encourage young women and men, boys and girls. Preferably something I can do with my 2 oldest.
Again, depends which part of the country. Here on the east coast several expats and Dominicans I know fundraise for and volunteer in schools in the poorest areas like El Hoyo de Friusa. There are a lot of initiatives on the North Coast and it should be easy to find something like this in the larger cities.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Welcome to DR1! You are one brave woman to want to move there as a single
parent with 4 children.:) That's bound to be a challenge and I wish you luck.

Research thoroughly prior to your move and make a few trips to check out the
locations where you want to live.

Do you have a preference as far as location, north, south or east?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Kareline, from looking at your list of things, how long has it been, since you've
been to the DR? I know you mentioned you're Dominican but if you've been there
recently you would know the answer to some of these questions.

Do not assume that living in the DR is cheaper than living in the states. You have
4 children and the food bill, clothing, activities, travel, etc. adds up quickly times 4.

Make a list of what you will be spending monthly and compare to how much
you currently spend, unless money is no option for you.:)

I'm Dominican too and I can tell you, the DR is not what it used to be years ago.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
To the OP, best of luck. I recommend Santiago as there are many nice places and activities.

As far as cost, for me for a family of 5 it is about a third of the cost compared to that of Orlando where we lived. We don't eat out a lot of course. Our kids are in a private Christian school.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
To the OP, best of luck. I recommend Santiago as there are many nice places and activities.

As far as cost, for me for a family of 5 it is about a third of the cost compared to that of Orlando where we lived. We don't eat out a lot of course. Our kids are in a private Christian school.

Nowhere in The OP's thread is any mention of religious preference or desire for parochial schooling, you just can't post without reference to religion can you?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hello, OP.
I moved here as single mom and I have 4 children also. I live in Santiago. My children go to a private Dominican school that costs 2,000rd/month each. School is taught in Spanish. They only speak English at home.
I have live-in help that I pay 12,000rd/mo. but she is worth 3x that. Plus I have a domestic that comes 4.5 days a week that I pay 2,000 bi-weekly.
My expenses are high but if you live normally it shouldn't be that much (at least not in Santiago). You can PM me if you would like more info on my expenses or how it is here without the Dominican man everyone thinks you need to survive.
Good luck.

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
concentrate your search efforts on santiago or even better SD. only those two cities (sometimes only capital) will provide you with what you are looking for in terms of education and special interests and activities. do not count on kids learning much of literature at school, this is something that can only be done at home. the choice of interesting books in a school curriculum is less than poor, in any country of this world. real interest in literature and real love of books is not born at school desk :)

Harleysrock, I am open to suggestions! I've really lived it all from pooping in a letrina in San Cristobal to running water from a tinaco in the Ralma a small town in the capital. I currently live in Fort Lauderdale and love going to the beach with my kids and my dog. I wonder if I can bring her with me do you know? She's a blue nose pitbull named Luna - beautiful, I'ld hate to have to leave her behind.
Welcome to Dr1! I know nothing about school stuff!

I read quickly, did I miss the area you are going to move to?? SD? NC? You will have to narrow down the area for people to give you prices on some things I think?!
Or people can help more if they know what your price range for housing is.

ctrob, thanks for the welcome. Send me the info I'm still undecided as to exactly where I'm relocating too. I'm still in the planning stages and truely open to anywhere in the country. I didn't even know you guys were replying until now. I received 2 private messages exchanged with someone... duh =)

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I would say stay in Florida... I dream of moving outa DR to FL, if you are young you will be bored to death here in DR. At least i am after almost 4 years living here. May be its like that only on north coast but... I visited NYC last week and i almost cried in the theater, in the supermarket, in stores... From a thought that i would never be able to see, experience, taste or buy things like that in DR. If you can work remotely just come here for a summer, rent, see for yourself.

Hi AlterEgo,
does this question imply that my children would HAVE to speak Spanish to attend a local school not an international school. When I lived there, I mean many years ago. I went to private school but the majority of the kids in my neighborhood attended public school and today they work for banks, the government and some are here. So I agree with you in that non international schools can be just as good.

I presume your kids speak Spanish??? If so, you don't need an international school.

All our nieces and nephews in SD got excellent educations at Catholic schools, I can ask the names if you're heading there. Now they're all young adults [20-30 somethings] and very successful in their careers.