All inclusive Resort Recommendation

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK guys need a quick recommendation for an all inclusive for two days (I can't take more than that at one of those places) in Puerto Plata area this week for the family. Something where two 18-19 year olds can have enough fun. A quick search gives me a wide range of prices. Some like Casa Colonial or Lifestyle look pretty nice, but I'm afraid the kids would be bored and that's my main concern that they're entertained, since it's just a quick trip to get out of town before they go back home.

Have any of you stayed at or know enough about any of the following?

- Be Live Grand Marien
- Blue Jack Tar
- Celuisma
- VH Grand Ventana

Is Cabarete an option?

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Lifestyles was nice, all age ranges from little kids to older couples. A lot of activities to choose from when we were there.

I don't really remember a lot of 18-19 yr olds though........

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
How about Viva Wyndam Tangerine, it is all-inclusive.

The Wyndam is on the edge of Cabarete coming from Sosua. You will have a walk down the beach or on the main road to get to where the action is. Not what I would want for my 18& 19 year olds. I would find something more center.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
BELOW IS A REVIEW I SUBMITTED TO TRIP ADVISOR ON BLUE JACK TAR
“Modern with great potential for more”
Reviewed April 19, 2013
This property is a not an all inclusive although a complete, real and well done breakfast is included for two. The breakfast lounge (also the restaurant by day) has a great view of the peaceful lawns. The beach area is right over the lawns and it was spectacularly tranquil with great canopy beach beds. Only a couple of other guest were there as the hotel was sparsely occupied.

The room was great, really well finished with flat screen tv and comfortable mattress. Great hot water and quiet ac and fan.
FYI.... I arrived driving my own vehicle instead of in a taxi/shuttle and Security at the front entrance seem protective and maybe a bit abrupt, since they thought I was a local but thats probably just me nitpicking. Overall it was good, prompt service by all. I recommend this place when gotten at the right price and I will be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Value
Rooms
Cleanliness
Service
Problem with this review?

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Lucrecia P, Front Office Manager at Blue JackTar, responded to this review
May 11, 2013
Thank you for your review about Blue JackTar. Your comments motivate us to continue offering a better service to all our current and future guests.

Sincerely
Management

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
OK guys need a quick recommendation for an all inclusive for two days (I can't take more than that at one of those places) in Puerto Plata area this week for the family. Something where two 18-19 year olds can have enough fun. A quick search gives me a wide range of prices. Some like Casa Colonial or Lifestyle look pretty nice, but I'm afraid the kids would be bored and that's my main concern that they're entertained, since it's just a quick trip to get out of town before they go back home.

Have any of you stayed at or know enough about any of the following?

- Be Live Grand Marien
- Blue Jack Tar
- Celuisma
- VH Grand Ventana

Is Cabarete an option?

Definitely scratch Celuisma off your list - it's 2-3 miles away from Cabarete with absolutely nothing around, and it's currently 90% empty, with nothing special in any case. Unless the kids are into kite-surfing, my vote is on Lifestyles Puerto Plata, - at least it's big enough to not be boring for a couple of days, and the rooms are nice. Otherwise, if you want to be close to Cabarete, I'd go with Wyndham.

mustang88

Jun 19, 2010
we stayed at th v.h. gran ventana in july for a week....we found it to be very clean, quiet and the staff very professional..........would be happy to return there...for the 18/19 year olds, the bars at the plaza are there for dancing.......it is such a shame about how quiet playa dorada is now, the potential for a fun enjoyable vacation is still there, but the owners of the A.I.s need to sink some money into them to update them...........hope that this helps,

Drea

Nov 25, 2010
I have been to all the resorts you mentioned except for Blue Jack Tar. For the kids they would likely enjoy the Grand Marien the most, stuff going on the day time for them to do, great beach etc. They can hit Pure Disco, just outside the gates of Playa Dorada, almost next to the Grand Marien...2 minute walk. Its a decent resort, not bad, not great. Iberostar is my personal fav...Hope this helps you out.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Funny the Iberostar here was our least favorite AI we have ever stayed at all across the DR and the Caribbean. The specialty restaurants were not up to par and the buffet was way better. Actually we had better meals going into Sosua and Cabarete than at the resort itself. I have heard rave reviews on Lifestyles though from friends that have been there.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I am in Puerto Plata but we like to go to an AI resort every so often. I called Barcelo and it is $35 person for a day pass but it would be around $45 a person to stay the night. I guess they do not want to many locals coming for a day pass. But it seems weird because the money they would save for not providing a room and the electricity for the room. It isn't like they are making monte of you when you stay the night.

Does anyone else know the prices of day passes at some of the AI? Otherwise I have to call them individual. I have stayed at Lifestyles, Barcelo and Blue Bay. Is Celuisma in Playa Dorado any good? We don't think the food is great at Barcelo but we like their main pool. It isn't bad for $90 or less for two people. You can enter the code 10barcelo to get the room under $90.

Let me know with any other suggestions on the lower price range or for day passes. I agree we seem to get better food at restaurants outside the resorts but they are fun every so often.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am in Puerto Plata but we like to go to an AI resort every so often. I called Barcelo and it is $35 person for a day pass but it would be around $45 a person to stay the night. I guess they do not want to many locals coming for a day pass. But it seems weird because the money they would save for not providing a room and the electricity for the room. It isn't like they are making monte of you when you stay the night.

Does anyone else know the prices of day passes at some of the AI? Otherwise I have to call them individual. I have stayed at Lifestyles, Barcelo and Blue Bay. Is Celuisma in Playa Dorado any good? We don't think the food is great at Barcelo but we like their main pool. It isn't bad for $90 or less for two people. You can enter the code 10barcelo to get the room under $90.

Let me know with any other suggestions on the lower price range or for day passes. I agree we seem to get better food at restaurants outside the resorts but they are fun every so often.

Celuisma? my buddy tried to book it with a travel agent in Mississauga, and she would not sell it to him. he went elsewhere and booked it, and left the same night he checked in.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
My husband and I have stayed at Barcelo numerous times and it's really popular with locals.... I'd say in Playa Dorada complex, Barcelo is the most popular hotel for locals.... because they have more typical DR food and they have an on resort nightly disco at the beach.. there were lots of young people every time I've been there.... I find the service was terrible at Barcelo the last time we stayed there though.... Gran Ventana is my favorite hotel in PD because they have great service, a nice pool, great food and lots stuff for all ages.... but they don't always offer day passes. Celluisma is a dive according to my husband.... BTW my husand is Dominican and we travel down to POP quite frequently from Canada... if he says it's a dive, I believe him.... I think Lifestyles and Iberostar are nice resorts but cater more to older folks.... and couples...

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
FYI there's supposed to be renovations going on sometime soon or possibly already underway at Gran Ventana. You may want to ask whether or not they will affect the pools and restaurants etc... if you plan to stay there.