Leg prosthetist needed.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
One of your occasional workers brother was hit by a car yesterday and they had to remove one leg just below the knee. He is at the POP hospital at this time.

A young man and decent family but very poor.

Anyone knowing someone somewhere that can donate (or below cost?) a leg prosthetist would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks ctrob. My wife is looking into it. It's a little confusing since the application says for U.S. citizens only. ?? But she will work through it and see. We are also going to contact some other friends here and in the States.

I'd hate to see a young mans life possibly go to waist for the lack of a leg prosthetist.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
How very sad...hope that he pulls through and gets a chance at leading a full life with a prosthetic limb

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Some people just amaze me!

My wife called Limbs for Life and then they exchanged some Emails. Here is one that my wife just sent me. My jaw about dropped to the floor. Only fair to share with you.

Hi, XXXX, great speaking with you today, and congratulations on your new role as Executive Director of Limbs for Life. As we discussed, I will be looking for resources here that can help this young man and am grateful that your organization could provide the parts at no charge. I look forward to receiving your parts list by return email. I understand that if we can find someone here that can fit and assemble the leg, you will ship the necessary parts at no charge to a US address.

The organization I referred to is HADAC.org, and their work is supported by Monkey Jungle Dominicana | Benefits Projects in Dominican Republic & Haiti. The last time I spoke with Chuck, he indicated that in 2012, Monkey Jungle funded about 85% of their work and he expected it would be 100% funded this year by Monkey Jungle revenues.

I am copying Chuck on this email so the two of you can be introduced and see what kinds of collaboration you can work out. He is obviously better connected with the medical community here than I am. Chuck, I am hoping that you will be able to respond to this email and let me know if there is a way you can help, or if you can connect me with someone here that might be willing to work with this young man to build a prosthetic.

Just to recap, the young man is best friends with one of our workers. This past weekend, he was walking alongside the road with a motor bike with a flat tire and a drunk driver hit him. He lost one leg below the knee. He is currently in the public hospital in Puerto Plata.

This is the link to our place, so you can get an idea of the general area.
www.XXXX

We are more than happy to pay for shipping of parts from Miami when this all gets pulled together. I will provide you with that shipping address at the appropriate time.

Thanks again. We really appreciate any assistance you and/or Chuck can provide.

Best regards, XXXX

We have some paperwork to do and pick out what is needed. We hope that Chuck and our CMC friends will be able to help. It will need to be fitted and some rehab. The director is very interested in working with Chuck and his projects also.

WOW! Thanks so much for the link ctrob and everyones support.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Try and get him to the Asociaci?n Dominicana de Rehabilitaci?n...They have a branch in POP, Santiago and HQ is in Santo Domingo, up from the National Police HQ...sort of tucked away but a great institution.

Cordially,

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks HB. We have a ways to go and until we have this all pulled together will look for and at every option. :)

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
you could ask at the physiotherepy center just up from the police station and funneral parlour- they have a chart with false legs on the wall so I presume they would know

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Try and get him to the Asociaci?n Dominicana de Rehabilitaci?n...They have a branch in POP, Santiago and HQ is in Santo Domingo, up from the National Police HQ...sort of tucked away but a great institution.

Cordially,

HB

Thanks for the Google map also. Fingers crossed.... Looks like I may be making a few trips to S.D.

We know someone that knows someone at the S.D. center that can do the measurements on the leg, order the parts and put it together. We are waiting for the name and information so we can line things up. Then we will have more information concerning rehab.

The young man is 22 years old and a best friend of our long time worker "son" Amado. My wife just told Amado what we are working on. He broke down in tears.

Not a done deal yet but looks very good. Please keep ideas coming so that we have options and back-up plans if needed.

Thank you.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Busy morning... much progress.

We have just finished talking with Amado and getting some details and Amado showed me some photos that I don't care to see again.

The young 22 year old man, Ramon Antonio Villa was pushing his bike on the side of the road due to a flat tire near Gaspar Hernandez. It was early afternoon Sat or Sun, I didn't get that. A Dominican that had been drinking ran over him and the bike and crashed into a tree. Ramons' younger brother was playing basketball near by and saw the whole thing along with several others. The driver was taken into custody by the police.

I don't know who transported Ramon to Bournigal Hospital but they would not take the National Insurance and wanted R.D. $450,000. just for the operation and tend to other wounds. Ramon was then transported to the Military Hospital that takes the National Insurance and the same Doctors from Bournigal arrived and tended to Ramon. He needed over 4 units of blood. Amado and friends gave theirs.

Ramon will be in the Hospital for about 1 month. The community has already figured out daily transportation for family and friends to see and help tend to Ramon. Amado has told them what we are up to and they are already working on the POP rehab place, R.D. $200 a day, as well as the daily transportation from Gaspar Hernandez to POP.

This small and poor working Dominican Community pulled it together real fast. The family has filed with the Fiscal but the driver has minimum insurance and most likely owns very little.

We will have the contact information for the people in S.D. tomorrow and get our part going and hope that it all comes together.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Some people STILL amaze me.

Amado, our long time employee "son". Is doing double duty. He is a smart young man and about to get his teaching certificates. Then he wants to study law. He is also learning English.

Ramon is his best friend and I'm told that Amado has been staying with him at the Hospital to help in all ways. He understands much more the Ramon's parents and others so he helps to explain what is going on. Since most the Hospitals here are different then in N.A. and Europe, it is normal for a family member or friend to take care of much of the nursing. Amado has been helping; washing, feeding, bedpans or whatever and is spending his nights with his friend.

I just learned this from someone else. I'm so proud of my "son".

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good Morning! Amado came to work today looking a little tired after staying at the hospital with Ramon in POP. He said that over 50 people came from his village, around Gaspar Hernadeze, to visit yesterday. He is doing well but the stump smells so they are watching that. Hopefully that won't have to cut back more.

Or friends at CMC have also provided a couple more resources to add to our list.

Ramon will have his job as soon as he is able. He works at a plant nursery and landscaper in his home area. We know the owner and know that he will do everything he can to keep Ramon working with some changes in duties.

We hope to have our contact info for the person in S.D. later today.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
As we feared, Ramon is having more surgery. Amado got the call around noon to start rounding up blood donors, they need 4 to 6 units. We gave him some cash in case Ramon needed anything, cover some gas bills and perhaps some food for those that would be going to the hospital and waiting around. Getting a meal order put together and then sharing is a good way to kill some time and is a good distraction.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks for your thought and concern AE.

They appear to have this covered with at least 6 people with the needed blood type. This village is has come together and doing an amazing job.

Thank you.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Ringo...your posts have brought me to tears.
I am so happy to hear how a poor community has pulled together to assist that young man in whatever why they are able.
I wished that I lived near by as I would without hesitation do my damndest to raise funds for his on going care and recovery.
Please keep us posted

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks for your thought and concern AE.

They appear to have this covered with at least 6 people with the needed blood type. This village is has come together and doing an amazing job.

Thank you.

Sorry... It just started pouring rain so I decided to to go out and get wet... cause I didn't finish some things earlier. lol.

Amado and I are A+ and he knows that. He and others donated so A+ works fine. He knows that if more is needed, that he can just ask.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo...your posts have brought me to tears.
I am so happy to hear how a poor community has pulled together to assist that young man in whatever why they are able.
I wished that I lived near by as I would without hesitation do my damndest to raise funds for his on going care and recovery.
Please keep us posted

Our other worker and our housekeeper also live in that community and know Ramon and his family and doing their part also. Lots of phone conversations in and out with each of them.

My wife and I think and hop that we have our end covered with the leg and other therapy resources when it is time.

First they have to get Ramon well enough to start to learn to walk again.

My father-in-law, RIP, lost both of his legs in a trauma accident over 35 years ago. They had to remove more of his legs twice. It was difficult to know how much damage had occurred and what was still good tissue. Of course we hope that new procedures and medication has advanced.

Thanks for your support. If we need more.... I'll yell for ya. :)