car import 2010 to dominican from Miami

spokojnie2

Aug 21, 2013
hi all!
my first post here, my first month living in dominican and many more :)

planing to this weekend to Miami to buy a camaro 2010 v6 for half price than price in dominican.

could you estimate me a extra costs please? i mean could you correct me if i`m wrong.

1.shipping up to 2000 usd
2.import tax 18 % based on value $638,024.86 taken from Consulta Valores de Veh?culos Livianos

120000 pesos
3. extra cost at importing car at the port 5000 pesos

total 125000 pesos plus 2000 shipping - aprox 5000 USD.

this figure is correct ? +- 10 000 pesos?

another quick question. im not resident here in dominican, my wife is domincan and i will go throught residency process but we did not even started it yet.

is it better if I import it on dominican citizen name? i can go with this person to usa and purchase it on his name.

please help.

ps anybody offer an assistance service for import that car for me ?

thanks in advance !
michael

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
another polak? most will fret for calling DR "dominican". i understand.

anyway, a car. i would not. and a camaro? v6? if you are concerned about it's price in DR how will you afford to dive it?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
With the roads in DR as they are, I also question the choice of a Camaro, but hey, it's your dime.

Dominicans living out of DR for a certain length of time [I don't want to say how long because I'm not sure] have a one-time partial tax exemption to bring in a car as a "returning Dominican".

Another big expense you haven't mentioned is the cost of the first license plates, nothing like US costs. Someone who has done it will chime in, I think it's close to $2000 US.

Someone here on DR1 just went through this process, and shared a timeline and costs here - hopefully they will chime in here with a link to the thread.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know someone who imports cars. They told me if I wanted I could choose a car in the US and they would import it for a total price of 40% of what I paid delivered to me. That seems to be about the going rate since cars here are normally about 40% higher than they are in the US.

I understand you may have a unique situation where there is no "competition" in Camaro pricing since you might have found the only 2010 Camaro in the DR. There is a good reason for that. I would certainly not import a Camaro or anything like it into the DR.

Feb 7, 2007
As my fellow board members chimed in, the information is correct. It's like 38 to 40%, with taxes, import duties, and first license plate all calculated in. Even though they reduced some import taxes, they increased others, so it's basically the same thing as it used to be. And it sued to be 38 %. So with ITBIS up from 16 to 18%, 40% does seem quite correct.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was looking at a vehicle in Santiago a couple of days ago. I just did a price work up on Edmunds.com to see what it would cost in the US. I took the fair market price in Florida and added 40%. The sticker price in Santiago came out about $500 US less and I would have a warranty if I purchased it here (i.e. no warranty if imported) . And I suspect the vehicle in Santiago had a few options I did not price into the US price. So in this case, it is definitely not worth it to import that car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Once you get your residency, you will be allowed a car - less than 5 yrs old but you need to have owned for 1 year before importing.

Wait 'til then.... cheaper by a few thousand

Jan 9, 2004
Shipped a Vehicle

You are under estimating the costs.....if you want to be absolutely sure use 40-50% of the valuation of the vehicle added to your cost of the vehicle as your total all in costs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Agree with dv8......really a Camaro here! we came from Michigan (home of the car industry) Camero is going to stick out like a sore thumb, for a while?!?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Shipped a Vehicle

You are under estimating the costs.....if you want to be absolutely sure use 40-50% of the valuation of the vehicle added to your cost of the vehicle as your total all in costs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
It's 35% (18% + 17%, not sure they are cumulative) just in taxes alone. That doesn't include all manner of port fees and shipping.

Jan 9, 2004
It's 35% (18% + 17%, not sure they are cumulative) just in taxes alone. That doesn't include all manner of port fees and shipping.

.....And that's another rub. They tack on the 17% first placa.....and then calculate ITBIS.....a tax on a tax so to speak.

As you suggest, you also need to factor in port charges, transportation, propina, etc......and the cost of any items that may go missing from the car. Mine was a plastic insert in the front bumper and the screw in antenna. Could have been worse as I forgot to remove the floor mats and bring them in myself....but by some miracle they were still in the car.

Piece of advice for those who ship....never leave the remote attached to the key.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The USA and the DR have a special deal...if the vehicle is made in the USA. I just had a friend import an SUV from Miami and it was cheap. He also used an agent as everybody should. They cut much of the red tape.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The USA and the DR have a special deal...if the vehicle is made in the USA. I just had a friend import an SUV from Miami and it was cheap. He also used an agent as everybody should. They cut much of the red tape.

I believe you mean the DR-CAFTA agreement which includes any vehicle with sufficient US made content including some Toyotas.

What percentage did your friend pay over his price in the US for his US made car?
Was it new or used and did he mind not having a warranty here in the DR if new?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I believe you mean the DR-CAFTA agreement which includes any vehicle with sufficient US made content including some Toyotas.

What percentage did your friend pay over his price in the US for his US made car?
Was it new or used and did he mind not having a warranty here in the DR if new?

That's correct....DR-CAFTA. His SUV is only a few years old. The DR only valued it at USD$9K, which blew him away. It should have been at least double that.