Family History Help "Gabriel"

MJ Gabriel

Aug 22, 2013
Hello All, I'm new here. Just trying to find information about Family History so if anyone can assist please do. I was told Family migrated from DR to Louisiana in the mid 1850's. Last Name is Gabriel. Is that a common Dominican last name?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can try to get ahold of the "G" copy of Familias Dominicanas. It's a series of books written in the late 60s/early 70s, which details all Dominicans from the 1500s to the early 1900s. Not easy to find. I own 3 volumes, but G isn't one of them

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, do you have the B and V volumes or know where they can be obtained?

I have three volumes: tomo I [A&B], tomo II [C], tomo VI [O&P]

I've been looking for the V volume myself, Mr. AE's paternal grandmother was a Vesco, which became Besco & Beco.

Also wish I could find the G volume!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Interestingly there is a Jose Gabriel Garcia who is a Dominican historian and also someone by that name who published a scientific paper at the Univ. of Louisiana in 1986.

Here is the link for the Institute Dominicano de Genealogia:

Instituto Dominicano de Genealoga, Inc.

They have a search page and I entered your last name and there were a lot of results, mostly first names but some last names as well:

Instituto Dominicano de Genealoga, Inc.

I have Dominican ancestry as well from someone who emigrated from the DR in the same time period to Charleston, SC so I would appreciate it if you keep us updated. If you prefer to do it via email send me a pm. Best of luck.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have three volumes: tomo I [A&B], tomo II [C], tomo VI [O&P]

I've been looking for the V volume myself, Mr. AE's paternal grandmother was a Vesco, which became Besco & Beco.

Also wish I could find the G volume!!

Volume 9 of Familias Dominicanas is searchable on Google Books now, maybe you could contact the author about the ones you need.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Interestingly there is a Jose Gabriel Garcia who is a Dominican historian and also someone by that name who published a scientific paper at the Univ. of Louisiana in 1986.

I think that in that case the Gabriel was his second name and not a surname, cuz' one of his sons was called Aristides Garcia Lluberes.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I have Dominican ancestry as well from someone who emigrated from the DR in the same time period to Charleston, SC so I would appreciate it if you keep us updated.

Didn't that ancestor of yours hailed originally from Saint Domingue?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Lol Chip is a NeoGurabero.

Is good to see people researching their genealogy, is an interesting subject, like some have said Gabriel is a rare surname, it sounds more like your ancestor took his first name and made it into his last name, anyways good luck!

@ Nakedsnake thanks for that article on the Dominguez family of Gurabo, since then the other two parts have been published by el periodico Hoy. I have much to share with you, the other forum seems to be down, so I'll PM you some info.

Last edited:

MJ Gabriel

Aug 22, 2013
Lol Chip is a NeoGurabero.

Is good to see people researching their genealogy, is an interesting subject, like some have said Gabriel is a rare surname, it sounds more like your ancestor took his first name and made it into his last name, anyways good luck!

@ Nakedsnake thanks for that article on the Dominguez family of Gurabo, since then the other two parts have been published by el periodico Hoy. I have much to share with you, the other forum seems to be down, so I'll PM you some info.

I wish record keeping wasn't so poor. I would like to get to the bottom of this. As of now all I have is family accounts passed down from mainly deceased individuals who claim they originated from the DR. Didn't find them in the U.S. Census until 1880. However I did locate some Gabriels in the New Orleans area who have verified the DR origin, the only problem is I can't piece together the link between those Gabriels and my family Gabriel. so frustrating

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Mormons have microfilmed thousands of old Dominican civil records, a lot of them are available online. They take time and patience to go through.

Start with their website: www.familysearch.org

Go to 'search' then 'browse by location' then 'caribbean' then 'Dominican Republic'.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
MJ

While the Gabriel name doesn't to be appear common there are 10 households here in Santiago with that last name. Also a lot of names come up in Santo Domingo so maybe you might need to make a trip there to look at the church birth records.