Official: Figures prove Dominican Republic?s tourism is among safest

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/to...e-Dominican-Republics-tourism-is-among-safest

Santo Domingo.- Tourism minister Francisco Javier Garcia on Thursday said Dominican Republic?s tourism is among the safest with a very low rate of assaults against locals and foreigners alike.

He said the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) acknowledged the security surrounding tourist resorts and lauded the Tourism Police?s automation and efficiency. "We?re one of the countries with the fewest attacks against tourists, if we look at statistics and figures at the regional and global level."

He said at this time the Tourism Ministry works to strengthen the security with high-tech devices, surveillance cameras to provide security for tourism venues and resort towns.

Garcia said the plan also covers Santo Domingo?s Colonial Zone, which "will soon be one of the world?s safest areas.?

As to Las Terrenas, Saman? province (northeast), the official said in many ways the community has become a model for other destinations. "Las Terrenas is a place which the Tourism Ministry intervened since we arrived five years ago. Before it had many holes, not today the streets are done, it has sidewalks and gutters, there a series of boardwalks which are being adopted as a model, Pescador and Ballenas for example and Playa Bonita, which are models we developed."

Garcia, quoted by diariolibre.com, added that the Atlantic Tourism Boulevard at Saman? has had a positive impact because it makes it easier for local and foreign tourists to visit Las Terrenas. "The Boulevard has created an important development in that part of Samana."

------------
I wonder what these guys are smoken or snorting?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Yo, Francisco Javier Garcia, donde esta tu ropas?

political-pictures-naked-british-guy-emperor-clothes.jpeg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
really? and there i was, thinking DR was somewhat closer along those lines:
23h7xmt.png

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
really? and there i was, thinking DR was somewhat closer along those lines:
23h7xmt.png

Now we on a roll. DV8 is here. lol.

I looked and looked and looked. Googled and searched. I never found anything close to the UN report that they refer to. Did anyone else?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/to...e-Dominican-Republics-tourism-is-among-safest

Santo Domingo.- Tourism minister Francisco Javier Garcia on Thursday said Dominican Republic’s tourism is among the safest with a very low rate of assaults against locals and foreigners alike.

He said the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) acknowledged the security surrounding tourist resorts and lauded the Tourism Police’s automation and efficiency. "We’re one of the countries with the fewest attacks against tourists, if we look at statistics and figures at the regional and global level."

He said at this time the Tourism Ministry works to strengthen the security with high-tech devices, surveillance cameras to provide security for tourism venues and resort towns.

Garcia said the plan also covers Santo Domingo’s Colonial Zone, which "will soon be one of the world’s safest areas.”

As to Las Terrenas, Saman? province (northeast), the official said in many ways the community has become a model for other destinations. "Las Terrenas is a place which the Tourism Ministry intervened since we arrived five years ago. Before it had many holes, not today the streets are done, it has sidewalks and gutters, there a series of boardwalks which are being adopted as a model, Pescador and Ballenas for example and Playa Bonita, which are models we developed."

Garcia, quoted by diariolibre.com, added that the Atlantic Tourism Boulevard at Saman? has had a positive impact because it makes it easier for local and foreign tourists to visit Las Terrenas. "The Boulevard has created an important development in that part of Samana."

------------
I wonder what these guys are smoken or snorting?

Expats are not tourists.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Expats are not tourists.

Read first sentence. "...very low rate of assaults against locals and foreigners alike."

Read more: "We?re one of the countries with the fewest attacks against tourists, if we look at statistics and figures at the regional and global level."

and: "will soon be one of the world?s safest areas.?

Where is the UN report on this? ROFL.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
The main beach road of las terrenas is missing its big man hole covers, quite scary. So much for fixing holes there.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I m sure tourists in resorts are more than safe..... its the rest of the population, us included, that Im worried for....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The main beach road of las terrenas is missing its big man hole covers, quite scary. So much for fixing holes there.
That's no big deal.

Just do what we do: assume every manhole is sans cover.

No problema...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
While I'm no fan of bureaucrat weasel words, I suspect there is a grain of truth in what Javier states IF one only looks at assaults on what one would define as a "tourist", and not an expat, part-time resident (illegal/overstay or otherwise) or Dominican returning home for a visit with family & friends.

I'll further suggest that those "tourists" who mix it up with uestionable locals are far more vulnerable than "typical tourists"...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the claim should be something like: we do not kill the visitors here, only those who live here! so come over, turistas, it's totally safe.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'll further suggest that those "tourists" who mix it up with uestionable locals are far more vulnerable than "typical tourists"...

The same is true of expats.

This is something that is frequently ignored on DR1. The German who was recently killed, for example was not someone I would want to associate with and his murder does not make me feel in danger.

Like wise the German killed when his arsenal/fortress was attacked.

I'm sure that most of the killings discussed at great length on DR1 would have been foreseen if we knew the full story.

If you come here, mind your business and conduct yourself like most would in their home country, I think there is very little danger.

You may be robbed given the level of poverty, but you aren't going to end up in barrel.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, because matilda and jrhartley are well known for their rotten and evil ways. they needed to be shot, right? had it coming, those devils.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
yes, because matilda and jrhartley are well known for their rotten and evil ways. they needed to be shot, right? had it coming, those devils.
I suspect statistically they are outliers, but when it happens to you, it's not an outlier.

But jr lives in a neighborhood known for violence, and Matilda lived in a virtual Haitian barrio. I know because we visited twice for Toby, and she will admit to the same...

There are ways to mitigate exposure to problems in the DR just like anywhere else on the planet.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you are looking for excuses now. oh, it happened because of the location. oh, it happened because of an unpaid bill. oh, it happened because of this and that and something other.

It could have happened.
It had to happen.
It happened earlier. Later.
Closer. Farther away.
It happened, but not to you.

You survived because you were first.
You survived because you were last.
Because alone. Because the others.
Because on the left. Because on the right.
Because it was raining. Because it was sunny.
Because a shadow fell.

Luckily there was a forest.
Luckily there were no trees.
Luckily a rail, a hook, a beam, a brake,
A frame, a turn, an inch, a second.
Luckily a straw was floating on the water.

Thanks to, thus, in spite of, and yet.
What would have happened if a hand, a leg,
One step, a hair away?

So you are here? Straight from that moment still suspended?
The net's mesh was tight, but you? through the mesh?
I can't stop wondering at it, can't be silent enough.
Listen,
How quickly your heart is beating in me.

Wisława Szymborska Any Case, Translated from the Polish by Grazyna Drabik and Sharon Olds.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
you are looking for excuses now.
Not at all.

I AM saying...in fact there is an entire sticky on DR1 about the topic of making yourself safer...that LOCATION absolutely is one mitigating factor in one's safety.

Fact is, more bad stuff happens in some neighborhoods than another.