A good gesture but shortsighted...

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
In Cristo Rey, there's a buy back program where the community is offered free notebooks in exchange for knives, machetes, and other home made weapons. The concept is noble but these people in the picture aren't in school to begin with. Maybe the notebook could be offered to a younger sibling and also a few weapons are taking off the streets.

After the exchange program, these residents would re-arm themselves if they were temporarily disarmed because these items are relatively cheap and ubiquitous. I'm sure there are more weapons than notebooks, however, the idea is admirable.

El Caribe ? Intercambian armas blancas por cuadernos en Cristo Rey

Last edited:

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I?m just glad at least something is being done to help lower violence, although it is as you say it. :(

Well it remains to be seen if there would be any effects by this program. I praise the concept but my gut feeling is jealously skeptical. Maybe if the program can be replicated nationwide, but again, it would depend on the results of this pilot program. These items, as stated, are cheap, very cheap to replace. Also, the environmental reality stipulates that one has to be protected at all times.