Looking for my husband, can anyone help?

Kat Reyes

Aug 27, 2013
Hi all. I need help. I am looking for my husband. I married him in NY back in 2003 and shortly after that he disappeared, I went to his job and they told me he went back to DR. I only have his name and date and place of birth. I never got to meet any of his family members and I'm not sure if he went back to his place of birth or somewhere else in DR, I think it could have been another town if I remember correctly. Would anyone have any suggestions on how I could find him? Also, I'm sorry if I'm not posting in the correct section, but I really wasn't sure where to start. Thanks for all of your help.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
kat, i would start from searching facebook and various other social sites: badoo, hi5, msn.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
With his name and date and place of birth you can do a search at the Junta. That should give you his cedula number, where he votes (which he might have changed from where born) whether married (again) and if he has any children. You will need a contact at the Junta to do this.

You could search on Facebook/Badoo and other chat sites although Dominicans often do not use their real names.
You could Google search using Dominican Google and look at blogs and the news as well as web links.

If you know where he came from you could go there and ask - or get someone to do it for you.

Just a few ideas

matilda

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
How does a mf go back to his country without his wife having the slightest clue ? Right !

He is still in the US living with his novia, and in NY !

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Kat, matilda has given you good advice. Try to follow it.

If this is for real, and I reserve judgment on that, she may want a divorce to get on with her life. There are so many unknowns here that it's impossible to help her. Did she bring him to NY on a K-1 visa? If he wanted a green card, he'd have to hang around for quite awhile to finalize it, not take off just after the wedding. A marriage certificate means nothing, he'd need to prove he wa still with her and go through a process [medical tests and hearings], so taking off right after a wedding makes little sense.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If he wanted a green card, he'd have to hang around for quite awhile to finalize it, not take off just after the wedding. A marriage certificate means nothing, he'd need to prove he wa still with her and go through a process [medical tests and hearings], so taking off right after a wedding makes little sense.

That is, assuming the perpetrator is well informed, which is seldom the case.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I agree with AE maybe she is looking for him after all this time so she can get a divorce and get on with her life.

Last edited by a moderator:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
All you know is his name and date of birth? What about his social security number, didn't you say he worked? The first thing you should have done was to file a missing person's report.

You should've hired a private investigator.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Hire an attorney and divorce the clown. I'm pretty sure you can get divorced in N.Y from a deserter husband.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And maybe she is looking for him as they have a child who needs a kidney or bone marrow transplant.
Who knows.

Matilda

Kat Reyes

Aug 27, 2013
Matilda, thanks so much for your info, i did try facebook and google as well I actually found 2 profiles for him on FB but they are private and it seems that he hasn't accessed them in a few months. But I will try Junta as well. Thanks

For everyone else who made rude comments, that weren't very nice that's fine, I guess I had that coming, however none of you know the circumstances as to what our relationship was or why it ended. I also want to find him because I want a divorce and YES 10 years later, because initially I didn't care about a divorce because I didn't ever plan on marrying again, HOWEVER, things do change over the years AND people to change their minds so in this case I have since changed my mind.

Kat Reyes

Aug 27, 2013
Oh sorry, Also I asked for help but I didn't post his name, I was hoping first to get some responses then I could have posted his name here and to the person who asked if I had a social security number because he worked, I don't because he wasn't legal in NY and worked off the books at a barber shop. Jeeze people cut me some slack, I made a mistake, I married a man I hardly knew, I thought I would be able to help him get his green card as well but he obviously had other issues going on.

and Yes I do want to divorce him however NY law states that I still need to find him to have him served with papers and if i don't it can get quite expensive which is money that I do not have.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with AE maybe she is looking for him after all this time so she can get a divorce and get on with her life.

Isn't there is something in the law that says if a spouse vanishes and nothing is heard from him/her and no sign of the person anywhere that after a certain number of years a divorce can be obtained from the missing spouse?

Kat Reyes

Aug 27, 2013
Consulted a lawyer and he said I need to find him to serve him with papers, I will definitely be awarded the divorce but I have to find him because if not i have to pay thousands of dollars to hire an investigator and then I have to pay for an ad in the newspaper to show that i am looking for him, this can be up to 10 thousand dollars the lawyer told me, I really don't have that kind of money.

NaguaRick

Jun 26, 2013
Consulted a lawyer and he said I need to find him to serve him with papers, I will definitely be awarded the divorce but I have to find him because if not i have to pay thousands of dollars to hire an investigator and then I have to pay for an ad in the newspaper to show that i am looking for him, this can be up to 10 thousand dollars the lawyer told me, I really don't have that kind of money.
All you have to do is post ad in newspaper. Do not pay a lawyer a dime. You can do a divorce with help from websites for as little as $99 Get a second opinion.