Credit card

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I finally have a local credit card. I never wanted to do the hassle of getting a letter of my European bank ad several references, but at once I could get a duplicate of the card that's on my wife's name, and from many requirements they jumped to no requirement at all. I haven't talked to anyone, my wife asked for the duplicate on the phone, spelling out my name. I have three names and one last name. My first firstname is written wrong and my last name is missing (I'm sure they thought my third name is my first last name). I didn't need to go to pick up the card and/or show a cedula, my wife picked it up when she was at the bank. Used it today without any problem.

Ofcourse I know the security they have is my wife's card, her cedula, her limit and credit history, but it doesn't inspire too much confidence when they deal with this so lighthearted.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i have an extension of miesposo's card and i did not have to show my mug at the bank. it is possible that he did, thou, because my name is spelled correctly :)
next time just do with two words: first name (regardless of how many you have) and one surname (again, regardless of how many you have). i hate this fake royal crap of giving more than one name to a brat. one is a plenty. and no double surnames for me either, the one i was born with is good enough, i ain't gonna change it.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I finally have a local credit card. I never wanted to do the hassle of getting a letter of my European bank ad several references, but at once I could get a duplicate of the card that's on my wife's name, and from many requirements they jumped to no requirement at all. I haven't talked to anyone, my wife asked for the duplicate on the phone, spelling out my name. I have three names and one last name. My first firstname is written wrong and my last name is missing (I'm sure they thought my third name is my first last name). I didn't need to go to pick up the card and/or show a cedula, my wife picked it up when she was at the bank. Used it today without any problem.

Ofcourse I know the security they have is my wife's card, her cedula, her limit and credit history, but it doesn't inspire too much confidence when they deal with this so lighthearted.

Lucky you that you get it just now when banks has new rules charging the interest every month, in the past banks here didnt make it so correct.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Lucky you that you get it just now when banks has new rules charging the interest every month, in the past banks here didnt make it so correct.
I never pay any interest on it (my wife's that is, until now). I always pay the whole thing before due date, I basically use the cc to not walk with cash and to save miles.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm with mauricio on that as well. our cc is only a mean of easy and fast access to money without carrying any cash. we do not actually take any credit as such but instead we use the money we already have.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A DR bank issued card is a chance am not willing to take at all.

Because? In DR I prefer to use a local card than international card. Not much can happen. Years ago, when I had my own local card, I have rejected charges of gas stations that would be applied months after the actual charge. It might be it was me who used the card, but I didn't recall. I called the bank and explained I didn't want to pay for that 4 months later and without further question they removed the charge. I also complained about them charging interest over my total monthly consumption while by accident I short paid the balance by 100 pesos or so, and they also removed the charge. If you do complain (and speak Spanish) in many cases they'll give you your right.

Sep 4, 2012
I'll rather do the talking with a USA backed card. CS is not a skill yet learned in this country and that applies overall. Many good things in DR, but CS and banking aren't two of them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DR based cc is a blessing if you live here. the only time our card was hacked was when miesposo came back from the states and few days later the bank called to ask if he just made a purchase at a gas station in NYC for 1500 dollars. money was returned very quickly too. and no one ever tried to clone any of our cards here, like often happens to dr1ers who use american cc.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'll rather do the talking with a USA backed card. CS is not a skill yet learned in this country and that applies overall. Many good things in DR, but CS and banking aren't two of them.

Most offer customer service agents that speak English.

When you learn how banking works and have a good contact, it's excellent.
Customer service is better than anything I have experienced in the UK.

I never get in line and have a great relationship with the girl that looks after my account.
If she switched banks, I would move all my accounts to that bank.

Sep 4, 2012
I do realize that most often than not, it's all about creating relations but I was speaking more in the general sense. Point well taken though.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i find dominican banking fairly well organized. like robert i use banco popular cc everywhere i go and i never had a single problem. any larger transaction results in a call from the bank asking to confirm it (ticket purchases and so on). we have a cc insurance too and all issues are addressed very fast: getting a new card, replacement, limit changes and so on. they even alert you when your card is at "fraud risk" (whatever that was, they just called to say the card will be cancelled and a new one issued).

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Never have had a problem with our Banco Popular card. I do have cc's from the US and do use them once in a while (no problem yet) but I do find service with Banco Popular is good.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Dominicans credit cards are very safe to use. Yes, you can get hacked, but an international cc is not going to protect you either. Additionally, dominicans banks know very where when,where and for how much to accept charges, because the know your history and specially because they know that if your cc was cloned, they (the bank) will be the ones who are going to pay for it. Debit cards are less safe. Not to mention carrying cash around, of course. The only time my dominican credit card was cloned, it was in the US.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I haven't gone to credit yet, but the debit card works well and the customer service is excellent (Progreso and ScotiaBank).

They speak English if you ask and call even when a large sized check is being processed.

I have had one cloning/theft incident in 5 1/2 yrs -- at a car rental in SDQ.
You can practically see it coming - they insist on writing down the card number to process it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A DR bank issued card is a chance am not willing to take at all.

DR based cc is a blessing if you live here. the only time our card was hacked was when miesposo came back from the states and few days later the bank called to ask if he just made a purchase at a gas station in NYC for 1500 dollars. money was returned very quickly too. and no one ever tried to clone any of our cards here, like often happens to dr1ers who use american cc.

I agree with dv8 that a DR based credit card is much more useful, practical, and safer for those that live here than an out of country credit card in the DR. If there is a fraud problem with an out of country credit card, and there are problems VERY often with those, the problem is hard to correct from the DR. If you have fraud problem with a DR card, it is much easier to deal with and those problems are much less frequent.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I agree with dv8 that a DR based credit card is much more useful, practical, and safer for those that live here than an out of country credit card in the DR. If there is a fraud problem with an out of country credit card, and there are problems VERY often with those, the problem is hard to correct from the DR. If you have fraud problem with a DR card, it is much easier to deal with and those problems are much less frequent.

thank you for backing me up here. we often read how dr1ers are scammed in DR on their foreign cards but never about the same tricks run on dominican cards. if you live in DR full time dominican cc is a great thing. granted, you need to control your expenses and pay it on time but you would have to do the same with any other card. at the same time the risks of a fraud are low. you can easily regulate your limit, add extension cards for kids or partners (at different limits, as decided by you).

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Pardon my french, but what is credit card as opposed to debit card?????
Do the bank send u a bill, or do they debit ure account, in said bank??????

I use a mstercard, it debits my account every transaction on a french account( and a 5 € fee). How do u get money to ure dominican account and at what price?