threads closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hello.

Well... I don't know if they ban people here for asking such questions, but, if so, there will be no real loss. In any event, it will likely suffer the same fate as is referenced in its title.

Is there any real criteria, other than a moderator having a gas pain, for closing a thread?
I've seen some very interesting ones, that seemed to be on point with regard to relevance to the DR, that seemed, on the surface at least, to be closed simply because a particular moderator didn't like the tenor of the conversation. I've actually read where participants were referred to as children...although this is understandable to a degree, given the nature of some of the responses. But, then again, the same few, in my humble opinion, seem to be the ones that typically make dumb-assed statements. Why does the majority have to suffer for the idiocy of the few?

There are some really relevant things that I (and I supposes others) would like to know about the country that are off limits (e.g. race). This is sad, in my opinion, because a discussion of the same does not have to spiral into the abyss, if certain irrelevant, intentionally inflammatory responses are redacted. Who the hell wants to make 500 posts, just for the privilege of asking a question in the "off topic" forum, or whatever it is called?

The site seems to have a great deal of potential...but is more of a gelding than a stallion.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Hello.

Well... I don't know if they ban people here for asking such questions, but, if so, there will be no real loss. In any event, it will likely suffer the same fate as is referenced in its title.

Is there any real criteria, other than a moderator having a gas pain, for closing a thread?
I've seen some very interesting ones, that seemed to be on point with regard to relevance to the DR, that seemed, on the surface at least, to be closed simply because a particular moderator didn't like the tenor of the conversation. I've actually read where participants were referred to as children...although this is understandable to a degree, given the nature of some of the responses. But, then again, the same few, in my humble opinion, seem to be the ones that typically make dumb-assed statements. Why does the majority have to suffer for the idiocy of the few?

There are some really relevant things that I (and I supposes others) would like to know about the country that are off limits (e.g. race). This is sad, in my opinion, because a discussion of the same does not have to spiral into the abyss, if certain irrelevant, intentionally inflammatory responses are redacted. Who the hell wants to make 500 posts, just for the privilege of asking a question in the "off topic" forum, or whatever it is called?

The site seems to have a great deal of potential...but is more of a gelding than a stallion.

Just sayin'.

You're just a very boring and uninteresting person, and no one likes you,

Try not to take it so personal........

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
OK I'll be the brave one ;)

Unfortunately when a good DR related question is asked some people seem to think they are in the off topic forum and will run off and talk about every thing else in the world.

Here's the rule for those that have been here a million years and still do not get it or you are new or you went and changed your username.

This site is called DR1 Dominican Republic Forums. All Questions and topics HAVE to be Dominican RELATED or it's a no go. If you do start a thread that is DR related and posters run off and post 50 unrelated posts :rolleyes: , guess what, that is too fricken much work for most of the mods to sift through and it will be closed. So sad for people that really wanted an answer. If you have a question or subject that isn't DR related go find another message board or just wait till you get 500 posts.

So simply,any more questions?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The Haitian occupation thread was closed because it appeared to be generating a lot of anti haitian feelings and AE was evidently being overwhelmed in moderating. We had been trying very hard to keep it to an academic discussion.. and it was very useful.. because some of the most important and informative posters on that thread did not have enough posts to go to OFF TOPIC where we can talk about anything.

The issue is that there is evidently only one eyewitness account .. it is in Spanish,, out of print.. never translated, brought back from Cuba, guarded by the family....

AND more importantly.. thie particular invastion on which we kept getting stuck.. IS NOT TAUGHT in HATIAN HISTORY
Timeline of Haitian history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so, for instance, when the Haitians named the University after Dessalines, who slaughtered and burned the country.. well.. Dominicans were incensed.. but Well,, the bulk of Haitians did not know. He is simply known as the father of their country,. Like our George Washington. Certainly, I am sure that it would never have been the intentions of the Haitians to offend the Dominican Republic.

They did not know. I did not know. The world does not know. As far as I have seen. That DR thread, which is searable in google is the first account, in English, of the sacking and burning of the Cibao in 1803.

I am going to talk to a friend about seeing if we can get a grant to get the book republished in Spanish and Kreyole so that this can see the light of day.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
sorry, explor!, that may have nothing to do with any thread that you were referring to .. but it was my thread,, and it had a lot of hits on it, and it was in the Haiti forum, and ....

but..

the moderators are GODS

and have the final word.

And if they were not here, we would be a herd of cats.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Why do you take it so serious? It's just an Internet forum. If the owners/mods decide a discussion is over, that's it. It's not that they're firing you or taking your money.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Thank you darling at least you do get it. :)

OK, your first response was...in questionable taste. This one... sort of proves my point, dontcha think? "Go find another message board", eh? So much for moderators... moderating. I have found another board, but still find some of the participants on this one very helpful. Should I refrain from participating simply because you have no better answer?

Calling the moderators gods, Annie, with all due respect (and I do respect your input, as always), seems to me a bit like casting precious stones to... lesser deserved entities.

The thing is, unless there is some agenda (there always is, no matter the source) which is not known to the rest of us, it seems that participation, particularly by knowledgeable people who bring up interesting points of discussion, should be valued for what they contribute...no?
So, it follows that, if you alienate the aforementioned, what you will have left is a collection of participants who cannot raise an interesting discussion to save their respective lives.

Just sayin'.

Now, excuse me, while I find a state willing to grant me asylum...

Last edited:

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
You're just a very boring and uninteresting person, and no one likes you,

Try not to take it so personal........
I presume you meant "personally". You do realize that this is a prime example of part of the (legitimate) problem, right?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hey, I didn't make the rules I gave a prescripted answer made by the owners. :)

lesser deserved entities? :( that's what happens when you work for nada

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Looks like the owner of this forum still wants to promote the "Tropical Paradise" image of DR, not the real SH#THOLE image. That's why negative threads are closed.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Looks like the owner of this forum still wants to promote the "Tropical Paradise" image of DR, not the real SH#THOLE image. That's why negative threads are closed.
I remember a recent thread where Robert stated that many countries are so much better than DR...

May 12, 2005

You are living in la la land. Lots and lots of posts and threads about the realities of everyday life in DR.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Why do you take it so serious? It's just an Internet forum. If the owners/mods decide a discussion is over, that's it. It's not that they're firing you or taking your money.

Believe me, the harmonic resonance of my universe does not depend upon this issue.
So... would you like to tell me which questions are suitable and which are not?
Why are you taking the question so seriously?

Geez... it was just a question. And Russia won't answer the damned phone!

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
My bad... didn't mean to stir up the mierda.

And I do understand the nature of scripted answers. I have no right to dictate what the owners of the forum deem appropriate.
But, it is a forum, about the DR, and I am very much interested.

It is just that it is frustrating to be able to get most of the story people are ready to tell.
And, as for lesser beings, it is not personal. Simply a metaphor that could have been constructed better. My apologies, Anna.

Dammit, Putin! Pick up! Well... there's always Argentina...
Don't cry for me.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Haitian occupation thread was closed because it appeared to be generating a lot of anti haitian feelings and AE was evidently being overwhelmed in moderating. We had been trying very hard to keep it to an academic discussion.. and it was very useful.. because some of the most important and informative posters on that thread did not have enough posts to go to OFF TOPIC where we can talk about anything.

With all due respect you aren't interested in an academic discussion because you keep ignoring the facts.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
could someone explain to me again how to put a poster on ignore? is there a button?

Click on the posters name to see profile then on the left hand side you'll see a list of things including "add to ignore list". Unfortunately if someone quotes a post of the ignored poster you will still see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.