Sosua News On "Abuse" Of Free WiFi

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In the neighborhood Los Charamicos you can make free use of a Wi-Fi network. Also in El Batey and in particular in the park Mirador you have access to a free Wi-Fi network.

But the people in Los Charamicos complain about the terrible low speed of the connection. The provider of the free Wi-Fi, the entrepreneur Johanni D'Lancer, responded to these complains with the following words:
This facility is only for educational purposes. The intention is that students will learn to use the computer and Internet. So they learn how to use Wikepedia, Google, email and Skype. But the young people abuse the free facility by extensively download music and movies. Moreover, many entrepreneurs also use this free Wi-Fi. That is not the intention, entrepreneurs should pay for a regular internet connection. So because of the improper use of this facility the network speed is indeed very slow. Sothe low speed is caused by the abuse of many users and it is not caused by the service made available for free by the firm D'Lancer.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My own take on this is that D'Lancer is very naive if it really believes the free WiFi will only be used for "educational" purposes.

Of course people are going to download music and use the WiFi for other purposes.

It will be interesting to see what D'Lancer does. Will they terminate the service, improve the service, or ignore the complaints?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Maybe they think they are entitled to abuse it, like err... electricity? Doesn't surprise me. Typical...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
internet provider company and they do not know how to block sites allowing download of music and movies? are they stupid? they could easily regulate the pages that can be visited, as the administrators of the network. allow only the use of limited pages and all will be well.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is another thing they could do--which is done here in Norway in many cafes in downtown Oslo: The server automatically logs your IP address out every 20 or 30 minutes. Which requires you to log back in as a guest. It takes a while, which means, people downloading something, would constantly have to keep running to their computer and logging back in in order to continue the download. Also, if they were to leave the house or go to sleep, the network would simply log them out again after the allowed 20 to 30 minute time limit. It works beautifully here.

Frank

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Something with good intentions offered for free is abused?

First time that's ever happened...:cheeky:

Agree with deviate.

You KNOW what's next: a policy will be put in place to limit access and people will be PI$$ED!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
frank's idea is also excellent. this is a norm in internet cafes in europe, you see info "you have whatever number of minutes left" displayed on screen so you can keep an eye on the situation. i am sure this is dead easy to do.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
In the neighborhood Los Charamicos you can make free use of a Wi-Fi network. Also in El Batey and in particular in the park Mirador you have access to a free Wi-Fi network. But the people in Los Charamicos complain about the terrible low speed of the connection. The provider of the free Wi-Fi, the entrepreneur Johanni D'Lancer, responded to these complains with the following words:

I've had to rely on free internet at times, even going outside a library after it's closed. When it becomes too inconvenient and I needed more, I got my own service, but often I just went without. I was grateful it was available when I needed it.

So I would thank Mr. D'Lancer, and let it at that. He shouldn't have to do anything to accommodate anyone. I doubt it was his intention to provide free service for life to those areas anyway. He undoubtedly wanted them to get a taste for it and create a market. Any increase in capacity will just immediately be eaten up by more users. So once the schools and community centers have access, don't worry about the rest.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Actually Johanni is a lovely, very educated young woman who speaks perfect English and responded very well to the challenges her family's company confronts regularly. I use their service for WiFi and cable and am very satisfied. How often does a local company respond at all? They're offering free WiFi to public places for educational purpose in a place where a few hundred pesos for WiFi is out of reach for many . It was a gift, in cooperation with local government initiatives. If the signal sucks, so what. What exactly does one expect for free? Normally anything for free in the DR gets abused. Instead of making the changes suggested, DeLancer could just as easily shut it down and not contribute at all.