Looking to "Retire" in The DR

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I recently bought a place near cabarete. The goal was to rent it and use as a vacation home, until I was closer to
retirement. The problem is the more I come to visit, the less I want to return home and get back to the grind.
I am 50 yrs old and I have had it with my career. I'm done, toast, I'm totally fried. I don't know if I am foolishly talking myself into a dumb move, but the more I think about it the more I wanna move to the DR and live permanently. My wife was actually raised in the DR and turned me on to it a couple of years ago. She would move back in a second. We think we can actually retire, but are too young to do nothing for the rest of our lives. Am I outta my mind? Can a 50 yr old gringo actually live there and "adapt"? Is there anybody else in this forum that done the same thing? I've read alot about expats, but i find the younger folks adapt better. I would be grateful to recieve any insights or advice.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As they say, you should retire for something, not away from something. So, retiring at 50 is a good idea. It is a time to start something new while you still have the energy to start a new life. Go for it.
Think about the skills you have and think out of the box. Go slowly until you develop new income. You need to go through an adaptation process to learn how to live low cost here. There are many things that cost less, but there are many many that you are accustomed to that will cost you more. I think the trick is to be frugal and start adapting little by little.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I thought I had retired at age 56, but my wife keeps me too busy to feel retired. Dolores gives good advice. Take your time deciding on what you can do, what you want to do, and what you can make a decent income at, if you require it. Adaptability is the key.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I "retired" in Cabarete three years ago aged 56. I have bought some apartments that I rent out to gringos and have a pretty easy life. I don't make much money but that's not why I came here. So far I am very happy to have given up the rat race and moved here.

So, if you have or can develop enough income to live, I would recommend it!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I "retired" here at 56, ten years ago.

The first big issue is can you afford it? If you really, really can. And by that I mean.. do you have a secure or online source of income that will generate at least $1500 to $2500 a month.... then, yes. That is a perfect age because you are right about being younger and being more adaptable.

I have had ten of the most interesting years of my life. And you will as well. Sure maybe the first year you will spend lying about and appreciating the beauty. Then you will find something new to do.. like being a music teacher, or getting involved with various local projects. There is a lot to be done here. And it does take a while to acclimate.

The fact that your wife is Dominican will make it much easier as you will have an instant family.. which can turn out to be either a pro or a con, from what I have read, since the families are very close!

But definitely a great idea.

The only real red flag is if you plan on supporting yourselves with the pesos you earn here. Then I would have to say.. no.. do not do it.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I "retired" here at 56, ten years ago.

The first big issue is can you afford it? If you really, really can. And by that I mean.. do you have a secure or online source of income that will generate at least $1500 to $2500 a month.... then, yes.

You are right about having access to about $2,000 a month to live comfortably here. Other threads about the cost of living here but in my opinion you are not going to save much by living here. I wouldn't have moved here if i didnt have the savings...the thought about working here, competing in workforce against the locals, or starting a business here to try to cover my expenses sends shivers up my spine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will have been in Cabarete full time for 10 years this month after having purchased a place a couple of years earlier and planning for my escape from the US, retiring at 48.

It is not cheap. If you are adaptable, give it a try. Having a wife that is a native is a big plus. I do as well. Good luck with your plans.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Nice to see other 50 somethings having done this. I don't think I would have to "work" down here. Investments would carry me over till pension ss an 401k kick in. But who knows. I also want to be able to go back home when I would want to. Has anyone moved here an gotten"home sick". Has anyone gotten here only to find out they can't go home when they want to because they didn't factor that in to the "cost?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I believe several posters have left and others are contemplating. At least one, The Gorgon suggested the cost was prohibitive for him.

I recently bought a place near cabarete. The goal was to rent it and use as a vacation home, until I was closer to
retirement. The problem is the more I come to visit, the less I want to return home and get back to the grind.
I am 50 yrs old and I have had it with my career. I'm done, toast, I'm totally fried. I don't know if I am foolishly talking myself into a dumb move, but the more I think about it the more I wanna move to the DR and live permanently. My wife was actually raised in the DR and turned me on to it a couple of years ago. She would move back in a second. We think we can actually retire, but are too young to do nothing for the rest of our lives. Am I outta my mind? Can a 50 yr old gringo actually live there and "adapt"? Is there anybody else in this forum that done the same thing? I've read alot about expats, but i find the younger folks adapt better. I would be grateful to recieve any insights or advice.

I'm 37 and retired with my wife! I thought i would be bored stiff b/c I love working...In 8 months haven't thought about working once!
You only live once DO IT!!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I think they were just trying to figure out how to retire early, Tambo.

37 is a bit early, but it really depends on what you want. I'm not quite 44, and could "retire," but there's still a bunch of stuff I want to do with my life.

It's nice to not have to work for someone else, but it just feels like I should contribute towards something. Also, I'm just too much of a fan of the US to leave it and become a permanent expat.

Perhaps one day doing the "snowbird" thing (where you split your time between two or more places) might make sense, or perhaps even a "gap year" or other similar kind of sabbatical, but in the meantime, extended vacations of up to a month are just fine.

OK i will expand...I lived in Vancouver the 2nd highest housing market in North America... I sold my house in a nice area and i can retire...I am lucky. I grew up in a Family who chose the right place to live. Vancouver is ridiculously expensive to live in.
I could have worked my 3 jobs to survive in that City or retire in the Dr...I chose to retire mostly b/c my wife needs to be in a warm place to not be in pain 24/7.

I am not rich by any means!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nice to see other 50 somethings having done this. I don't think I would have to "work" down here. Investments would carry me over till pension ss an 401k kick in. But who knows. I also want to be able to go back home when I would want to. Has anyone moved here an gotten"home sick". Has anyone gotten here only to find out they can't go home when they want to because they didn't factor that in to the "cost?

I factored in the cost for a couple trips off the island each year. I also make us of frequent flier miles to defray the costs. It takes creative thinking to be retired here.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

The first three or four years I went "home" every year. After the earthquake in Haiti I gave away so much money that I really have not been able to travel.. and honestly.. it was hard at first.. but then I just settled in. The thing about "home" is that it is just the same. In that they are all doing the same thing as when I left. And they are interested in what I am doing for about five minutes.

Yes, I do want to see neices and nephews, but fortunately this is a great place to visit and they have come here.

So yes, it does happen. But the other part that happens is that HERE feels more like home and there feels more like AWAY. With Skype and FB and cheap phone calls, it does not seem so distant. Phone calls to the States from my landline are 3 cents a minute so I really keep in touch with my friends.. those who still have landlines!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
With Skype and FB and cheap phone calls, it does not seem so distant. Phone calls to the States from my landline are 3 cents a minute so I really keep in touch with my friends.. those who still have landlines!

GOOGLE VOICE is FREE to US numbers, need to set up in US IP @ first!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I do not have a US IPS.. but that is a good tip

I just like tallking over a phone line, I guess... Even on Skype it goes in and out when I move about.. seems tiring. But with the phone I can roll around in the office chair. Some folks talk about the Magic Jack but my bill has never been so high as to warrant looking around for stuff.