Insolation Charts for DR Regions.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
This is a shout-out to Don Luis, Ringo, Grecco, and/or anyone else that may have the info. What are peak sun hours in the DR? Do they vary by region? Do they vary by elevation? Where can I find the charts? Google did not help. I ask for yours.

P.S. If this info was posted previously, spare me, I missed it.

Last edited:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
It depends where you move the umbrella to? lol

This may help you point the panels in the right direction though.

Solar Irradiance - calculate the solar energy available on your site

Went looking for lit @ B&N today. Nothing in hard copy. Was going to look @ their electronic offerings, but your suggestion does fine. I just ordered it. I did not see that the handbook has the chart I'm looking for though. My arrays will be directed optimally (due south), w/the ability to tilt manually during the day. I need to calculate # of panels I'll need for a 1000kw system. I've been using 5.5 peak sun hours in calculations. I want to be sure for obvious reasons. Thanks for the resource.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm a little confused. You need 1000 kw? My rather large diesel generator is 50 kw, the amount of power that it can produce at a given moment of electricity required, I've never maxed it out with 12 AC units and everything I have on and running. Do you mean 1000 kWh per ..day, week or month?

A couple of us find that their is not enough variance between winter/summer to bother adjusting our panels. Trackers are expensive and need maintenance but would give you a little more AM to PM power.

In the summer my panels are producing from around 8 AM to 7 PM so your peak times sounds about right. Altitude should not make much difference unless you are in cleaner air?

Perhaps a little more detail on what you want to due would help us help you. :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
If you mean 1000 kw...

1000 kw = 1,000,000 watts. So you need 4,082 panels that produce 245 watts at maximum/peak sun without clouds.

This is a little beyond my little 12 panel system. lol.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
1000kw/m. Mods are 315w x 5.5 peak sun hours x 30 days/m / 1000 = 52kw/m per mod. If I need 1000kw/m then 1000/52=19-20 panels. Every 1/2 hour less peak sun means 2 more panels worth of cost. I need to know peak sun hours so i can be precise towards cost-savings. The number of kw/m needed is not fixed. I have a lot of space/area to cover though, so I anticipate that the energy demand eventually will be around 1000kw/mo.

Yeah, that park generates 1.5meg/w = 1,500,000,000 watts. There is a big difference. Get back.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
1000kw/m. Mods are 315w x 5.5 peak sun hours x 30 days/m / 1000 = 52kw/m per mod. If I need 1000kw/m then 1000/52=19-20 panels. Every 1/2 hour less peak sun means 2 more panels worth of cost. I need to know peak sun hours so i can be precise towards cost-savings. The number of kw/m needed is not fixed. I have a lot of space/area to cover though, so I anticipate that the energy demand eventually will be around 1000kw/mo.

Yeah, that park generates 1.5meg/w = 1,500,000,000 watts. There is a big difference. Get back.

OK. I think that we have some very good people here that might be able to help.... now that we know the target. LOL.

Have you read the LONG read here on DR1?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/125977-changed-solar-wow.html

Long read but packed with a lot of information from some very smart people.

Your title may not get them to see your/this thread. Posting in the above thread they will look, it's our interest and learning place. If so, then you can ask for this thread to be closed.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I've been following your LONG read ;-): Useful but. No mention of peak sun hrs (insolation) for the DR, though. Did I miss something? I'll go back and reread quickly.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I've been following your LONG read ;-): Useful but. No mention of peak sun hrs (insolation) for the DR, though. Did I miss something? I'll go back and reread quickly.

Don't re-read and congrats if you read it. lol.

Post your question there. I don't think that was discussed and should add a good thread. :)

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Yeah, you made reference to 8 pk hrs. Another poster suggested 6. You agreed. Nothing precise though. Proximity to the equator does not relate to more peak hrs. Google reveals a map of US w/peak hrs by region. No such thing for the DR that I've seen. I'll keep looking.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Peak production for me here in Santo Domingo is from 10:30 A.M. until 2:30 P.M. on the fixed array, on the 2 axis

Peak production is around 8:30 A.M. until about 5:00 P.M.