How to book a flight 101

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Really, I need a course in this. In the past, I've stuck with jetBlue because it seemed they went to where I wanted to go, their prices were competitive, blah blah blah. In truth, and this is embarrassing, I've always been baffled about how to go about searching for the best fare and jetBlue makes the booking process easy. I almost always get crazy results when I go to Orbitz, Expedia, etc., and have trouble even finding out what airlines fly nonstop from my destination. With that caveat, i.e., an admission of stupidity, I could use some help booking a flight from POP to the NYC area (any of the 3 airports).

I'm taking advantage of a jetBlue sale to fly from JFK to POP - about $182. However, I wanted to return 9/29 and it's more than twice the amount for a ticket. I stupidly assumed that the return flight would be about the same amount. 9/28 is better at $279, but it still seems like a lot. United came up when I googled to see who else flew from POP to NYC. Yet, when I went to the United site, I got 0 results even after changing criteria several times.

So, I'm in a bind. I'm more or less committed to go. However, one reason I'm going is that I thought it would be cheaper. The jetBlue sale ends today so I have to take care of buying the tickets today (I'm departing on 9/22). Can someone offer some advice on how to find a relatively inexpensive flight?

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Well, I figured out my problem with getting to and from POP -- United flies from Newark but only on Saturday. I keyed in Sunday. The site is unforgiving, haha. Even with the JB sale, United would be cheaper to fly roundtrip, but for various reasons, I need to fly JB.

I've tried all those sites you mentioned and I ALWAYS get irrelevant results. Like, if I say non-stop, I get flights with stops and layovers. And the prices are almost always insane compared to booking it through the airline. One day I'll try hotwire.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I can get you $220 on 9/29, Delta from STI to JFK ...pm me if STI works for you, POP not much flexibility at that airport)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I use the airline home sites, Kayak, and other search sites from time to time.

Once you find a suitable price, you can try to bid slightly lower on Priceline. At least that was true some time ago, not sure if Priceline has changed recently.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks chrisgy, but it wouldn't make sense to pay the extra car fare from STI.

windeguy, yes, priceline and hotwire. I was in Santo Domingo last month and paid $75 with breakfast at Nicolas de Ovando using hotwire. It's normally double the amount.

There's also a very informative site about all this stuff, flyertalk.com, but it's too much work for me. -)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Generally you will not find cheaper fares than found on the airline web site, especially if they are running a sale. Take into account with Jet Blue your first bag is free. Stick with Jet Blue. They have a very good track record for on time flights.

LTSteve

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Travelocity.com is the best site for an over-view of all flights available (and prices) on a particular day. Then change the date(s)
to compare price differentials. Then go to airline website to make your actual reservation. This works best for me.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I use skyscanner.com to look up the flights and it will give you an option to save $$$ at the top sometimes flying into an alternate airport. You can also try flights.google.com and it works pretty good also but only when flying out of the US for now.

Sep 4, 2012
Unless there is special/sale running, not much to gain from any other website besides the airlines. Prices are cut and dry now days.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sigh... i wish i could make complains like this. few months ago i bought a ticket to berlin. my first search with air france or air europa was 1800 dollars return. feeling better now? ;)

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
POP is always more expensive than STI and SDQ and PUJ...we are from Michigan and Detroit to POP is expensive and unless a charter almost always at least one stop.....Delta, United, American Airlines fly in and out of POP and NY....several times going to Detroit we had to go to either Neward or JFK and then on to Detroit....American airlines has always been our cheapest route....if you fly first class 3 50lb bags are free. Go directly to their website and put in return date and hit 3 days prior or after button and it will show you all the flights for a 6 day timespan. Good luck!