moving to Costambar

migoga

Sep 23, 2012
I am planing to retire in Costambar within the next two years. I already own a house there. Can I live on $2500.00 a month? Can one get decent health care coverage and how much is it?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
That's a decent amount to live off of, provided you don't go bat crap crazy! I can't answer about health care but I would think so from what my friends tell me. Congrats and good luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how old are you? it is difficult to get insurance if over 65. the monthly rate can be anything from 20 dollars (basic TSS) upwards, depending on insurance, plan and extras.

migoga

Sep 23, 2012
how old are you? it is difficult to get insurance if over 65. the monthly rate can be anything from 20 dollars (basic TSS) upwards, depending on insurance, plan and extras.

I am 58 and live fairly conservative. But I still plan to have a bit of fun as long as I can. I am going there for 5 years but since I was always on a holiday I never got a feel how much money I need to live on. I think on a holiday the money is spend easier than when you live there. I am looking forward to move there. I love the Dom Rep and especially the area around Costambar and Cofresi. I never once had problem with locals

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
get a plan from universal or humano as soon as you arrive. a decent one will be 50 dollars, i guess. 2,500 dollars a month is plenty, fun included. there are few threads on the cost of living so read on to get the feel of the basic cost. costambar power is crap so prepare to invest in an inversor (if you don't have one yet).

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Can I move in with you?? LOL...Thats plenty, an overkill of funds you will need here!! And yes, take a look around about the cost of living here, I too posted there..Humana is very cheap although I don't have it now, I did..I paid 45 bucks a Month for the Royal Package which is very good coverage..I think their Platinum package is about 100 bucks, but thats 100% coverage of everything..their best package..

PS, I believe Humana is now in the States, perhaps check into them there or online..But the prices would be much cheaper here of course..

Best of luck!!

Anthony

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i have lived in costambar for 5 years on the 26... its a wonderful place, with great people and lots to do. Welcome

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
there is darts several nights a week at different locations, here at my place is tuesdays, we have quiz on thursday nights, we go dancing at the gate on friday nihgts, people play bocce monday afternoons on the beach, tennis, raquetball, walking the beach, I also have people here playing cards two mornings a week, three or four in the winter.... karaoke on the beach saturday
afternoon.... is that enough for you??? Haha... life is what you make of it... we are surrounded by wonderful people here and I enjoy every day... just work gets in the way unfortunately

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
there is darts several nights a week at different locations, here at my place is tuesdays, we have quiz on thursday nights, we go dancing at the gate on friday nihgts, people play bocce monday afternoons on the beach, tennis, raquetball, walking the beach, I also have people here playing cards two mornings a week, three or four in the winter.... karaoke on the beach saturday
afternoon.... is that enough for you??? Haha... life is what you make of it... we are surrounded by wonderful people here and I enjoy every day... just work gets in the way unfortunately

With all that play you have time to work! Good for you, I am envious!

anthony

Mar 17, 2010
I've been staying in Costambar for the last 10 years and I like it . I will again be there at the end of the month for 2 weeks .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you certainly set it up well. i have been in costambar for 4 years or so and the only thing i'm getting is depression and anxiety. i may start drinking after all, like all my neighbours.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
I guess it all depends on your lifestyle. Not being a night hawk or wanting to be part of the club scene, it suits us perfectly. I love that I can walk everywhere to get most stuff I want