I'm Amercn. She's Domincn. We Have a 2 month Old. Wld Like to Get Home for Christmas

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Hello all,

The thread title says it all. I am American. She is Dominican. We have a baby that was born here. The baby's first interview for her visa is this Friday coming up. I would like to take the family home for Christmas, but my esposa does not have a visa. I know we can eventually get her one. I am asking for advice on the fastest way to get things done. Fiance visa? Thought about that but the application is like $340 and it HAS to be filed in Texas which means a hefty FedEx fee. Don't want to pay all that $$$ and get turned down. Also, not trying to just get hitched on the fly if I can avoid it. I would like to have a nice wedding.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Yes, I did declare my daughter and I am sure she is mine.

P.S. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in July and my dad is disabled after a stroke years ago. They have NEVER seen their granddaughter (their first and only grandchild) and I just want to make it happen. Not trying to give a sob story, my peeps are OK (as can be,) but is there any way I can convey the seriousness of this to the deciders at the consulate?

Thanks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hello all,

The thread title says it all. I am American. She is Dominican. We have a baby that was born here. The baby's first interview for her visa is this Friday coming up. I would like to take the family home for Christmas, but my esposa does not have a visa. I know we can eventually get her one. I am asking for advice on the fastest way to get things done. Fiance visa? Thought about that but the application is like $340 and it HAS to be filed in Texas which means a hefty FedEx fee. Don't want to pay all that $$$ and get turned down. Also, not trying to just get hitched on the fly if I can avoid it. I would like to have a nice wedding.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Yes, I did declare my daughter and I am sure she is mine.

Thanks

you are sure? DNA? i have several buddies who were sure, too, until DNA disagreed with them.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hello all,

P.S. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in July and my dad is disabled after a stroke years ago. They have NEVER seen their granddaughter (their first and only grandchild) and I just want to make it happen. Not trying to give a sob story, my peeps are OK (as can be,) but is there any way I can convey the seriousness of this to the deciders at the consulate?

Thanks

Don't want to rain on your parade, but a snowball in hell has a better chance. As for a DNA, I think they will require that before you can get the baby declared yours. Good Luck with both.

tranquilogringo

Feb 26, 2006
I'm in a similar situation, but I caution I'm no expert.

First step is to make a registration of birth abroad at the US consulate and apply for a US passport for the child AT THE SAME TIME. If done right— with all the correct papers— the child can have a US passport in its hands in about six weeks. A DNA test is sometimes required, sometimes not. For my first child, the consulate wanted a DNA test to prove the mother was the mother. The second child no DNA was required.

As for getting a US tourist visa for your girlfriend, my girlfriend got turned down. Under US immig law, an applicant is guilty until proven innocent. There is a presumed intent to stay in the US once there, that must be overcome. An applicant must show evidence of strong ties to the DR to overcome this. Cash in the bank, a car, job, property ownership, etc.

When my girlfriend applied for a US tourist visa about three years ago she went with bank statements showing money in the bank, a personal letter from me guaranteeing I'd pay all her expenses while in the US, evidence of MY links to the DR (property, bank accounts). She was denied. She said the consular official asked why we were not married and suggested I marry her.

The same week as my girlfriend's tourist visa denial, another 'poor' DR girl got a US tourist visa with absolutely no evidence of links to the DR.

Now I'm about to try again to get a US tourist visa for my DR lady. She's the mother of a US citizen child. She's got more money in the bank, a couple of non-US foreign visa stamps in her DR passport. But I'm told she will still get turned down.

It looks like I'd have to buy her a house and a car to satisfy the 'strong DR ties'. It's outrageous. I'm a US taxpayer who can't take the mother of his American children to Disneyworld. The US is full of illegal immigrants. The system rewards the dishonest and victimizes the good.

Marriage appears to be the US consulates preferred method to get around this problem (despite the fact it's illegal to marry solely for US immigration purposes). I've been told it's better to get married in the DR (the process takes 3-4 months) rather than to take the fiance visa route.

I wish you luck. The system is screwed up. If there's a good way (other than marriage) around this tourist visa for mothers of US citizen children I'd like to hear it myself.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

First step is to make a registration of birth abroad at the US consulate and apply for a US passport for the child AT THE SAME TIME. If done right— with all the correct papers— the child can have a US passport in its hands in about six weeks. A DNA test is sometimes required, sometimes not. For my first child, the consulate wanted a DNA test to prove the mother was the mother. The second child no DNA was required.

As for getting a US tourist visa for your girlfriend, my girlfriend got turned down. Under US immig law, an applicant is guilty until proven innocent. There is a presumed intent to stay in the US once there, that must be overcome. An applicant must show evidence of strong ties to the DR to overcome this. Cash in the bank, a car, job, property ownership, etc.

When my girlfriend applied for a US tourist visa about three years ago she went with bank statements showing money in the bank, a personal letter from me guaranteeing I'd pay all her expenses while in the US, evidence of MY links to the DR (property, bank accounts). She was denied. She said the consular official asked why we were not married and suggested I marry her.

The same week as my girlfriend's tourist visa denial, another 'poor' DR girl got a US tourist visa with absolutely no evidence of links to the DR.

Now I'm about to try again to get a US tourist visa for my DR lady. She's the mother of a US citizen child. She's got more money in the bank, a couple of non-US foreign visa stamps in her DR passport. But I'm told she will still get turned down.

It looks like I'd have to buy her a house and a car to satisfy the 'strong DR ties'. It's outrageous. I'm a US taxpayer who can't take the mother of his American children to Disneyworld. The US is full of illegal immigrants. The system rewards the dishonest and victimizes the good.

Marriage appears to be the US consulates preferred method to get around this problem (despite the fact it's illegal to marry solely for US immigration purposes). I've been told it's better to get married in the DR (the process takes 3-4 months) rather than to take the fiance visa route.

I wish you luck. The system is screwed up. If there's a good way (other than marriage) around this tourist visa for mothers of US citizen children I'd like to hear it myself.

there is no logic behind the granting of visas. the interviews are conducted by human beings. some old hag gets up on the wrong side of the bed and Danilo Medina is going nowhere.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Actually, I think there is some logic to the denial of tranquilogringo's girlfriend.

Years ago we went to the American Embassy with my father-in-law to apply for a visitor visa. We happened to get a friendly guy at the window, and he quietly told me that having an American relative [me, and Mr. AE was a US citizen] made them LESS likely to grant a visa, because it increased the possibility that he would stay in the US.

They might have thought tranquilogringo was going to move back to the US and she'd overstay her visa.

They did give my father-in-law a visa, because he owned 2 homes in SD, had a wife and 5 other children living in DR. They were convinced he would come back, and he did.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
This post is on spot!! Your daughter is a done deal, no worries...That said, do a joint Fianc?e Visa! that would be the best way to get your GF approved...However, be sure she has strong ties to the DR....What guarantees does the Embassy have that she will return to the DR?? I would just marry her here in the DR and don't give the title Fiancee Visa a thought, just file for it and don't forget, you will need 3 bios, one for each of you, a Police report for her, Doctors report, etc...look over the instructions of the Fiancee Visa...Once its approved, be sure to file for her I-94 asap...I think the BIOS is number I-84...forget, look over the forms via the embassy website.. The Fianc'ee Visa is form I-129 or with F..once approved, file for an I-130 asap! and its no longer cheap! talking about 1,000 US, around there.. BTW, all of the above worked for me on the first shot!! And being its such a short time together correct? Be VERY SURE!!you know everything about her for they will ask stupid questions such as her favorite color, what color is your apartment/house, her birthday, her parents names and her too, even an email address or phone numbers...and take many pictures asap!!! make them look like they were taken at least 6 Months ago!! I doubt they will allow anything for her with only a 2 Month relationship if I have that right..

Also take pics of her family together with you and her, stage it all, that there will help a bunch!!

PS...If you have any old correspondences via emails, print them! Anything that shows this is a serious relationship, not a scam or as they call it, sham! Bring those, photos, and anything else that shows strong support of your relationship for her interview..Both of you will be done, not just her..

Good Luck

Anthony

Last edited:

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Hello all,

Thanks

It appears that you just wish to visit the U.S. If that's the case, then she can apply for a visitor's visa at the U.S. embassy. A fiancee visa is for someone who plans on getting married and staying in the U.S. She will have to prove that she has a residence in the Dominican Republic that she does not intend to abandon. They will ask if she owns a home, a business, what her current employment sitauation is, does she have family in the U.S., the economic situation of her family in the DR, etc. Basically, they want to see what she has to return to in the DR as opposed to staying in the U.S.

Getting a visitor's visa is not easy if you're not a successful business owner or a professional like a doctor or lawyer. Good luck.