Work from Home questions

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am contemplating applying for a few work from home positions and I have a few questions.
The positions are work from home in the US. Would they be able to tell that I'm in DR if I still have a US number? How can I get a US number besides Magic Jack, I bought 2 of those things and they're crap.

From what I get from the job description its all (or mostly) outbound calls so I don't have to worry about incoming.

Anyone work from home? Can you give me a little info, help, I'm not sure how to handle it. Of course, I haven't even applied yet so I may not even get a job but just in case by the grace of God I do....I want to be prepared to have what I need to do it.

Thanks,
SHALENA

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I work from home here in DR... the company i work for pays for skype unlimited north america... which give me an american
number so i can receive calls, voicemail etc.. just need good internet and power

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I use Skype with a UK number (I'm sure you can get a US number too), not too expensive. It's ok most of the time, but if it is absolutely required that you should be in US (by their contract) then it's not recommended to do it this way. They might eventually find out and that won't be good...

Apr 13, 2011
Also look into Talkatone app used with Google Voice, that way your Google Voice US Number is used over internet data plan and not part of cell phone minutes.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
They could tell you're not in the US by your IP address, but that can be solved, too. However, as Uzin said, there are just too many ways somebody can find out you're not in the US to take the risk. Specially in DR where you can easily suffer power and internet outages. Not to mention the bachata blasting at the colmado could be overheard. ;)

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
With cable del Norte, my ip shows up as from Miami. Not sure that's each time.

You can port an existing US number to Google voice or create a new number that you can use to receive calls on your android phone with grooveip or Apple with talkaphone.

A pc will also ring when gmail is open giving you the option to answer with different devices. You must be very close to the WiFi signal.

It's noisy here, dogs, music, wind, fans, traffic, windows are open unless you have good quality windows shut and AC on.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Want a hook up! Go to www.elance.com Create a business profile, then search for jobs that you like and know how to do..Be sure to save each job via your watch list..Place your proposal, be sure its in range with other providers, rate of hour, duration, etc..In most cases, your potential client will have the hours and time frame posted on their ad...Then if they select you, called awarded, you have the job. However, they usually will setup a met to interview you etc..Do it! you will never be sorry and you will make dollars!! much more in one week working than an entire Month of working in the DR..

As for location ID..No worries with Elance, the buyers could care less. However, if you're making calls for them, then you will need a local number which Skype is great for..Buy their subscription at about 8 bucks a Month for USA unlimited minutes, then whatever number you need to make your calls at about 12 bucks per Month..Total of about 20 bucks..your number is good for 3 Months, Sub is Month to Month

You will not be sorry!! This is the best work at home site on the planet!!! its a free membership which gives you around 20 connects..So for example, a job that has a budget of 500 bucks would cost you 1 connect...anything above 1,000 bucks is 2 connects..You can also pay for a membership and get around 40 connects per Month..The membership is really for those folks that can do more than one kind of service..For example, Telemarketing is in one category, while translations are in another...You would need to have a paid membership in order to place a proposal on both since the free membership you can only pick one..

Go ahead and check it out...

Good Luck!

Anthony

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Shalena,

If it's a legit opportunity, I would simply ask them if you're required to be local, or if there are any restrictions as to geography.

Is this something related to medicine? Because you're in such a specialized field, I wouldn't be surprised if they were fully willing to work with you.

To the extent you need to "present" yourself as local, Skype offers US numbers, along with RingCentral.

In addition, as Skynet mentioned there are plenty of proxy services out there. One I use when traveling abroad is hidemyass.com. They have a monthly fee, but no ads and no pesky dropoffs.

It would, of course, be critical to have reliable (very) high speed internet.

Best of luck!

BigTex

Sep 8, 2013
How does the DR handle taxing temporary residents earning money from an US company deposited in a US bank then withdrawn from a DR bank.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I still find the best call quality to be with Vonage. Lately I have started to hate them for other reasons, but call quality is not one of them. I have tried to switch to Magic Jack, Skype and Google Talk but it's just not as good 24x7. With Vonage you don't have to have a computer but the annoying thing for me (keeps me from working outside of the house some times) is you have to have the stupid Vonage adapter. Others are certainly cheaper and all you need is the computer, but like I said the quality isn't the same.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks everyone,
These are legit US companies. I would be an RN Maternal Case Manager. There are several different openings but basically the job descriptions say I would be telephonically providing health education, coaching and guidance to expectant and post-partum mothers. Coordinating necessary services and follow up with patients following hospital discharge, making outbound calls to members, providing education to patients, coordinating member care & making referrals.
All of the positions require RN with High Risk OB and Labor and Deivery experience of 3-5 years (I have almost 13 yrs) so we'll see.
If I by chance get an interview, then I'll feel then out and tell them that I had a 2 weeks vacation planned to DR but would like to work during the vacation and see what they say. If totally against it then I know I can't do it, but if they say something like "That's no problem, as long as you have phone and internet access" then I know it'll be okay.
The positions are $25 - $35/hr. It would be a dream come true for me if I didn't have to get on a plane every week anymore.

I will look into all suggestions. Thanks so much :)

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
They could tell you're not in the US by your IP address, but that can be solved, too. However, as Uzin said, there are just too many ways somebody can find out you're not in the US to take the risk. Specially in DR where you can easily suffer power and internet outages. Not to mention the bachata blasting at the colmado could be overheard. ;)

My neighborhood is very quiet, have no problems with that at all. I have an Inversor also, if I needed to buy another one specifically for a home office I will do that. If I was offered a position, I will do most anything right now to accommodate. I buy 2 International round trip flights per month between $1100 and $1400/mo depending on season, on a plane every week coming or going, I pay $600/mo for a small room for when I'm working in NYC plus transportation there runs me about $160-$240/mo and eating at about $240/mo. My company pays me well but if I could snag one of these jobs I'd build a bomb shelter if necessary. I'd be making the same even though the pay is lower because I won't have all of the expenses of working in NYC.

SHALENA

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hope it works out for you and the family. As I'm sure you know, you would enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle off 70k a year. After taxes, you'd be clearing at least 4k a month, more than enough, especially in Santiago.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Better than that, for her - no more travel hassle, and more home time

It'll add years to your life !!!
Best of luck with it

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
check with the cable company. I have a VIP line (cc. 4k rds per month) and it gives me a fixed IP in Miami...

Good luck Shalena, bet your kids would love it you being at home :)

BelgianK

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Good luck. I tried it. I find that Claro's internet service just is not up to par. It is just not the same, tends to drop a lot both at home and in the office. I can say that it can be done. Find the way. I just decided to give up on telephone calls over the internet and focus on my writing business. That was a good idea. I think I may order a vonage and test it out though.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Good Luck. They may be open to letting you work from home in the DR. I would not try to hide that you will be working from the DR because I think they can fire you for that. The taxes and employment laws are different even though you are working for a U.S. company, so they'll want to know to make sure they are in compliance and treating you as an employee with a foreign address.