Collard greens availability

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I am looking for a store that sells collard greens (fresh, not canned would be welcomed) available in Santo Domingo. I have seen KALE, but no other. A definite substitute would be Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, or any hearty local greens that would accompany Ox-Tails, Ham Hocks, or Smoked Turkey Wings. Thanks in advance!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I want to know, also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm DYING for some collards or turnip greens.

I doubt they are here. My Dominican wife never heard of either. I describe a turnip and she thinks radish! :cheeky:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I want to know, also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm DYING for some collards or turnip greens.

I doubt they are here. My Dominican wife never heard of either. I describe a turnip and she thinks radish! :cheeky:

i can't even find caribbean spinach here.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
FWIW, you can get it here on the North Coast... fresh (organic) Kale, Mustard Greens, and occasionally collards...at Playero and Janet's...grown at "Finca Verde"

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Check the frozen foods section in Nacional, La Sirena or el Jumbo. They do have other frozen veggies.

They are frozen at their peak freshness.:)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Wanna, why don't you use kale instead if you can't find collard greens or mustard greens? I've used it many times for variation mixed with ham hocks or smoked turkey wings.:)

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
Yes, I have used Kale before as mixed with collard greens ( fantastic ), but when I used Kale alone it was not the same ( I guess my mother ruined my taste with her down south southern cooking. Collards are affixed to my memory along with those black-eyed peas. Thanks!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"I served collard greens. I know collard greens. Collard greens are a friend of mine. Kale, you're no collard greens."

:cheeky:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There's frozen collard greens at Nacional.. The most abundant greens I've seen here fresh are definitely bok choy.. wow is it amazing :)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
turnip/collard/bok choy/hoja de batata etc

couldn't you grow your own pretty easily, even in a large window box in a garden terrace?

There's frozen collard greens at Nacional.. The most abundant greens I've seen here fresh are definitely bok choy.. wow is it amazing :)

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008
Having grown up in North and South Carolina, I LOVE collard greens. I cook fresh collard greens once every week . . . cook some carrots and onions in olive oil (or bacon grease if you want to go unhealthy), add some fresh garlic (or at least some garlic salt), a little red and black pepper, salt, seasoning salt, add a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar at the end before then chopping up the collard greens and dropping them along with a can or two of chicken broth and add some bacon or bacon bits, bring to a boil and then par-boil for an hour or two. Crisp and delicious. I eat them and nothing else for lunch. I've thought about my 10-14 day stays in the Dominican Republic and if I knew I could find fresh, not frozen, collard greens my stays could be even more extended! Collard greens are the king of greens for me . . . though I do want to find some good recipes for bok choy and try those out for size since I notice they are always available at Playero. Trust me, from now on I'll keep an eye out for fresh collard greens from "Finca Verde" at Playero. Please join me in prayer that I will find some!