Why sopita is so bad for your health..

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I personally think sopita has affected the life expectancy of many nations considering the overuse of them.. I have completely banned them from our cooking for the last year and a half. I now create my own stocks using beef and chicken bones. Luckily my mom, being an old school dominican cook, has never used them in her cooking either.

Two of the top 3 ingredients in sopita cubes are ones that are slowly being banned and removed from food stuffs in other more savvy nations. These are hydrogenated oil and MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). Hydrogenated oil is where trans fat comes from, which is one of the greatest contributors to poor heart health. MSG has its own giant list of health ailments caused by it..

Just a warning to some friends on here that always seem to come to my aid when I need help, stay away from the sopita cubes and stay healthy friends!

PS. Maggi Sopita Cube ingredient list

SALT, HYDROGENATED PALM OIL (CONTAINS SOY LECITHIN), MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, WHEAT FLOUR, SUGAR, ONION POWDER, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, DEHYDRATED PARSLEY, COLOUR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, SPICES, FLAVOUR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I was concerned about the level of Sodium in them a few years ago.
Soooooo, I checked the level and sow something like 200 mg. per "Serving".
Not TOO BAD, I thought, then I saw that 1 cube is like 24 servings.
People of African heritage have high incidences of high blood pressure and diabetes.
AND, sadly for Dominicans, their diet is very high in salt, fat, and sugar.
AND,..."Monotony" so!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sopita was one of the first things my gynaecologist/obstetrician asked me to drop when I got pregnant for the first time. Have never used it again in home cooking. Actually, Dominican seasoning from original ingredients is so much tastier. Albeit, admit sopita is an acquired taste.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I personally think sopita has affected the life expectancy of many nations considering the overuse of them.. I have completely banned them from our cooking for the last year and a half. I now create my own stocks using beef and chicken bones. Luckily my mom, being an old school dominican cook, has never used them in her cooking either.

Two of the top 3 ingredients in sopita cubes are ones that are slowly being banned and removed from food stuffs in other more savvy nations. These are hydrogenated oil and MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). Hydrogenated oil is where trans fat comes from, which is one of the greatest contributors to poor heart health. MSG has its own giant list of health ailments caused by it..

Just a warning to some friends on here that always seem to come to my aid when I need help, stay away from the sopita cubes and stay healthy friends!

PS. Maggi Sopita Cube ingredient list

SALT, HYDROGENATED PALM OIL (CONTAINS SOY LECITHIN), MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, WHEAT FLOUR, SUGAR, ONION POWDER, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, DEHYDRATED PARSLEY, COLOUR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, SPICES, FLAVOUR.

if MSG is so dangerous, how is it that the orientals live so long?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
sayonara, it's a battle royale with our Dominican housekeeper, she is addicted to cooking with it. I purposely didn't buy it, and found out she went to the colmado and bought them herself ['solamente 5 pesos Dona!']. I finally put my foot down and told her all the other spices were enough, she's a good cook without that crap.

Last trip I brought down a bunch of garlic powder and onion powder, and convinced her that if she added a little of either, it was the same. Since she adds fresh onion and garlic to almost everything anyway, it works. So far so good.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The reason why doctors say to stay way from using bouillon cubes(sopita) is because of
the high salt content and people with hypertension or pregnant women need to watch
their intake.

Do you want to know what other foods contain? Just read the labels.:rolleyes:

I've been using bouillon cubes for years and I am not stopping now. By the way,
I just made beefy noodle soup and added sopita de res. Delish!;)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The reason why doctors say to stay way from using bouillon cubes(sopita) is because of
the high salt content and people with hypertension or pregnant women need to watch
their intake.

Do you want to know what other foods contain? Just read the labels.:rolleyes:

I've been using bouillon cubes for years and I am not stopping now. By the way,
I just made beefy noodle soup and added sopita de res. Delish!;)

You do know trans fat is a key ingredient in sopita right?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
if MSG is so dangerous, how is it that the orientals live so long?

It's not particularly dangerous, but it does have side effects attached to it and even asians report having them. Most of these side effects are pretty minor though I will admit.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"GORGON", how do you know that "Orientals" live a long time????
They all look alike, you could be seeing different people!
NOTE, My first wife was a beautiful Thai girl.
When she got to Boston, she said "All Americans "LOOK ALIKE"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And she used a LOT of "MSG" in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
HEY, maybe THAT's why I look so young!!!!!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Don't forget exercise and taking fish oil supplements.

hahahahaha

Exercise is very key if one does not want to struggle with the nuclear stress test. I know a few that could not finish the test because they could not make it pass the heart rate of 130 beats per minute.

I think the 3 times I took it I needed to hit the 160 mark or close to it. :)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
A cholesterol pill now and then works as well. hahahahahahaha

Also, a nuclear stress test is essential every few years after the age of 40.

I just looked up the nuclear stress test, have you seen these performed in the DR? Sounds pretty interesting.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I just looked up the nuclear stress test, have you seen these performed in the DR? Sounds pretty interesting.

Unfortunately no. When I frequent the DR, I come back needing one!!!!! hahahahahahaha

Too many chimichurris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
At 47 deaths per 100 in vehicle accidents Ill take my chances with the sopita cubes!

Lol.. yea , I wouldn't worry about my diet and health at all if I rode around on a motorcycle/pasola with no headlights on a daily basis.. Without a helmet to top it all off..

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Yeah, but there's trans fat in other foods also. The key is moderation.

When it comes to transfats, there is no such thing as moderation...........
Do everything in your power to remove them from your diet.
They are deadly.........
Most companies have removed them from their products, those products that still have transfats can easily be replaced by something else.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
When it comes to transfats, there is no such thing as moderation...........
Do everything in your power to remove them from your diet.
They are deadly.........
Most companies have removed them from their products, those products that still have transfats can easily be replaced by something else.

So far so good for me. I have my yearly check ups and blood work done and everything is fine.:)