Marrying a Domincan and relocating to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
Hi all!! I am in desperate need of advice on marrying a man from DR. I know the place is full of "sankies" and con artists etc, however I do not believe my man to be one of these based on the simple fact that he has never asked me for ANYTHING. He has his own business and takes care of his own problems. I have even offered to help and he would not allow it. So basically I've already gotten the "don't marry a Dominican" speech. LOL I have made the decision to move forward with the relationship, and met him while visiting DR on business. I had already planned to relocate there, it just so happened that I also met a great guy. Problem is, it seems like everything on the net is talking about bringing your Dominican fiance or spouse to the US and I'm going there. Can someone with experience please help!!! Gracia! :)

Apr 13, 2011
It is not talked about much because it is relatively easy for you to just come to the DR.
Hop on a flight and be with him.
Finding work is a different story.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
That there is a tough one...Keep in mind, here in the DR the so called saying is, there are 8 woman for every man here...From my experience, I was used & abused by a Dom Woman and stole everything I had..The Dom men seem to be on the prowl at all times, so you only need to be sure that you can trust him like any other relationship. And since he owns his own business, all woman here may see $$$ and of course attempt to make him their man...I too have started a new relationship recently, 6 Months now and have been very cautious only because of what happen to me already..But hey! we can't punish others for what another person has done to us, but the odds unfortunately are against us because we are Americans...Most think we are rich, that's the mindset here

If he truly loves you and can resist all temptation etc, then you should be fine..I would have a sit down and discuss what is truly in his heart before things lead into that common law (living together) and you could lose everything when the times comes...See, here in the DR, if you want to leave, you can take anything you want from the household without the other even knowing about and there is nothing you can do..Thats what happened to me, She took everything I had! So, just fair warning, you're not or won't be in the USA anymore, things are much different here..If you have money, maybe consider a prenup?

Just something you should think about...Protect yourself at all time..LOL ;)

Anthony

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
That there is a tough one...Keep in mind, here in the DR the so called saying is, there are 8 woman for every man here...From my experience, I was used & abused by a Dom Woman and stole everything I had..The Dom men seem to be on the prowl at all times, so you only need to be sure that you can trust him like any other relationship. And since he owns his own business, all woman here may see $$$ and of course attempt to make him their man...I too have started a new relationship recently, 6 Months now and have been very cautious only because of what happen to me already..But hey! we can't punish others for what another person has done to us, but the odds unfortunately are against us because we are Americans...Most think we are rich, that's the mindset here

If he truly loves you and can resist all temptation etc, then you should be fine..I would have a sit down and discuss what is truly in his heart before things lead into that common law (living together) and you could lose everything when the times comes...See, here in the DR, if you want to leave, you can take anything you want from the household without the other even knowing about and there is nothing you can do..Thats what happened to me, She took everything I had! So, just fair warning, you're not or won't be in the USA anymore, things are much different here..If you have money, maybe consider a prenup?

Just something you should think about...Protect yourself at all time..LOL ;)

Anthony
Thanks Anthony, and sorry to hear about your bad experience. I am not a stickler for monogamy, just loyalty. One can exist without the other in my humble opinion. My main concern in any relationship is always that there's a strong foundation of friendship and integrity. Just don't lie to me, that's all I ask. I think we'll be ok. ;)

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
It is not talked about much because it is relatively easy for you to just come to the DR.

Yes, I am aware that work is hard to find. Thankfully I'm starting a business there already (how I ended up meeting my BF in the first place).

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
Right, I knew it wasn't too difficult. But as far as the process is concerned, I just want to make sure I have all the documents etc. that I need before I get there. And also, I need info about their fiancee visas...

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
My sentiments exactly!

Best wishes to you!!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, and sorry to hear about your bad experience. I am not a stickler for monogamy, just loyalty. One can exist without the other in my humble opinion. My main concern in any relationship is always that there's a strong foundation of friendship and integrity. Just don't lie to me, that's all I ask. I think we'll be ok. ;)

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Hi all!! I am in desperate need of advice on marrying a man from DR. I know the place is full of "sankies" and con artists etc, however I do not believe my man to be one of these based on the simple fact that he has never asked me for ANYTHING. He has his own business and takes care of his own problems. I have even offered to help and he would not allow it. So basically I've already gotten the "don't marry a Dominican" speech. LOL I have made the decision to move forward with the relationship, and met him while visiting DR on business. I had already planned to relocate there, it just so happened that I also met a great guy. Problem is, it seems like everything on the net is talking about bringing your Dominican fiance or spouse to the US and I'm going there. Can someone with experience please help!!! Gracia! :)

I have lots of experience. Listen up! You are from a first, world, rich country. They are from a poor country. They are from a culture full of dishonest people and it is ok in their mind to lie or cheat or pretend or fake to be in love for monetary benefits or any other type of benefit. I can speak from many relationships. THEY WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU. Eventually, they may ask for a visa, green card, help for a family member, job, money, high end jewelry and an SUV. There is a 99.9% chance that they will want something. You better feel them out really good. Take years to see what is going on. I am almost 100 percent sure that in weeks, months, years or more, they will try to hitch a free ride off of you or some type of monetary benefit. I am not saying to not marry them (Dominicans are often good looking and awesome people and very laid back and cool and fun to be around). I am just saying to hold onto all of your money and visa help and everything and just sit back and wait for them to ask for something. Do not trust them, just wait for them to try something to see how it really is. When they ask, fake like you are really stupid and have no idea what they are doing. Do not give them anything. See what happens if they get mad or change suddenly. Maybe even toy with them and tell them after the marriage and see what happens. Wait for their finances to coincidentally collapse or something like that mysteriously and you are the only person who can help coincidentally. Wait for a day to come when you say I love you and they hit you for some cash like an ATM. Just don't get your head taken off and be careful. You are putting yourself out there for this person and personally, I would have too much experience to be in your shoes thinking of marrying them instead of feeling them out for 3+ years. Be the person who stinks financially who cant give a visa or money or anything and see what happens. If they want or need your cash and visas and thing then you know the real deal and how it really is and the true colors.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
More advice. It is a different culture. It is ok to drink and drive, it is ok for men to sleep with prostitutes and have any sexual encounter however they want and to be prideful about it, it is ok for male bosses to sleep with their workers, it is ok to beat up robbers in the police station, meeting someone off the internet is some huge luxury, it is ok lie and cheat people to get money and visas and it is a great big honor to do so, it is ok to cheat and be prideful about it and many other differences. Do not just jump into a relationship, you really got to feel out the person and the culture and that takes years of feeling everyting out and looking to see if it is real or not.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
If you are not concerned about monogamy, why get married? You could have a "loyal" Dominican boyfriend ;)
By the way not impossible, but highly improbable. Good luck with your plan....

One question, why isn't he seeking out the information (visas etc.) for his bride to be?

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
A couple of things are troubling here:
"He has his own business and takes care of his own problems. I have even offered to help and he would not allow it. ........"

meaning the business is obviously having problems, and asking for "consejos" from strangers online is also troubling.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Do not marry until you lived with him under one roof for at least couple of years! Its cheaper to pay a lawyer to get ur dominican residency than to get out of a bad marriage!
Its not just a talk, i fled from my ex who didnt want to divorce and 4+years after im still married but living with another man who i cant get married to because im not divorced. And seriously who needs that marriage thing? Just live together as long as you are happy with each other, and when/if love is gone, walk out without a hassle.

Last edited:

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Its not just a talk, i fled from my ex who didnt want to divorce and 4+years after im still married but living with another man who i cant get married to because im not divorced.
If you can't get your divorce in DR in more than 1 year, that means that you must fire your lawyer and find the right one.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I did not try to divorce from DR, my ex is in another country and i dont speak to him. Someone told me one lawyer could divorce me for 2000$... Well, i have better use for that money.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Since this thread has more to do with relationship advice than moving from the DR I have moved it to Mars/Venus.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

Baby I have been looking for a woman just like you for decades. ' Honey how was your day ?" Baby I had sex with 3 different woman today. "oh no problem , just as long as your honest"

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I have lots of experience. Listen up! You are from a first, world, rich country. They are from a poor country. They are from a culture full of dishonest people and it is ok in their mind to lie or cheat or pretend or fake to be in love for monetary benefits or any other type of benefit. I can speak from many relationships. THEY WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU. Eventually, they may ask for a visa, green card, help for a family member, job, money, high end jewelry and an SUV. There is a 99.9% chance that they will want something. You better feel them out really good. Take years to see what is going on. I am almost 100 percent sure that in weeks, months, years or more, they will try to hitch a free ride off of you or some type of monetary benefit. I am not saying to not marry them (Dominicans are often good looking and awesome people and very laid back and cool and fun to be around). I am just saying to hold onto all of your money and visa help and everything and just sit back and wait for them to ask for something. Do not trust them, just wait for them to try something to see how it really is. When they ask, fake like you are really stupid and have no idea what they are doing. Do not give them anything. See what happens if they get mad or change suddenly. Maybe even toy with them and tell them after the marriage and see what happens. Wait for their finances to coincidentally collapse or something like that mysteriously and you are the only person who can help coincidentally. Wait for a day to come when you say I love you and they hit you for some cash like an ATM. Just don't get your head taken off and be careful. You are putting yourself out there for this person and personally, I would have too much experience to be in your shoes thinking of marrying them instead of feeling them out for 3+ years. Be the person who stinks financially who cant give a visa or money or anything and see what happens. If they want or need your cash and visas and thing then you know the real deal and how it really is and the true colors.

Good advice for anywhere, and especially here.

Status
Not open for further replies.