where to take a date/things to do in santiago

alaska1986

Hey guys im here in santiago and im enjoying my time here its a great city and it seems like there is a lot to do here just wanted to get some more info on things to do and places to take a date.

Im looking for suggestions on places to take a date, im looking for anything from activities to restaurants. I know where a few things are in santiago like the bars surrounding the monument, movies, malls (las colinas mall, terramor, centro plaza internacional), bowling, kaskada aqua park just looking for more things to add to the list. I heard there were go karts somewhere also im not familiar with restaurants in the area, anything suggestions for good food and a decent atmosphere but not extremely expensive would be appreciated

Thanks

May 12, 2005
There is always Camp David, better for drinks and dessert, as the view is better than the food. Centro Leon is good for some culture. Tell us more about your dates and we can make better suggestions as where to go.

Last edited:

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Franks spot on. Also if you want something authentic, try the cockfights this weekend. Make sure you have the stomach for it.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Franks spot on. Also if you want something authentic, try the cockfights this weekend. Make sure you have the stomach for it.

I think the Op asked "where to take a date in santiago". Cock fight would not be decorum for a date with his honey. LOL
If she is from regular Barrio then take her to monumento area Example: Ahi Bar or Kukara macara. She will also love a concert in tipico bar.
If she is from a well to do neighborhood (example: villa olga, los jardines, ceros de gurabo etc) then take her to american style places: tony roma, TGIF or some other fancy bar where "chicas finas" go.
AZB

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"TGIF" "Tony Romas", wow aren't you a restaurant aficionado. maybe he can take her to McDonalds

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I think the Op asked "where to take a date in santiago". Cock fight would not be decorum for a date with his honey. LOL
If she is from regular Barrio then take her to monumento area Example: Ahi Bar or Kukara macara. She will also love a concert in tipico bar.
If she is from a well to do neighborhood (example: villa olga, los jardines, ceros de gurabo etc) then take her to american style places: tony roma, TGIF or some other fancy bar where "chicas finas" go.
AZB

I'm loathe to admit it, but Zeeber is correct.

If the OP doesn't know that much about Santiago, odds are astronomical his GF is someone who would appreciate one of the finer restaurants in the city. You don't want to go to Pez Dorado and have your chica start ordering camarones because the telenovelas told her it was a high-end meal.

Take her to an american-branded fast-casual spot like AZB mentioned, then to a local concert or to dance. You'll do more than just fine.

Last edited:

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hey, you can have a nice dinner by the square, go bowling, then come back to one of the many very nice liquor stores for drinks,.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
"TGIF" "Tony Romas", wow aren't you a restaurant aficionado. maybe he can take her to McDonalds

I am continually amazed by comments like this. Go to fridays, tony romas, hard rock, and you see upper middle class dominicans. What is average at best chain restaurant food in the US is "exotic" american food.

The gringos in DR want to eat la bandera, mofongo and plato del dia for 140 pesos. The Dominicans want ribs, wings, and GOOD burgers. . . . .. whacky. . .

I don't remember the last Outback I ate at in the states. There are way better options. In DR, Costa Rica or Brasil I have eaten at Outback. In DR, the only place to get a decent prime rib or pretty much ANY prime rib is outback. In CR and Brasil they don't do prime rib, but sometimes I just want a damn bloomin onion . . . . .

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am continually amazed by comments like this. Go to fridays, tony romas, hard rock, and you see upper middle class dominicans. What is average at best chain restaurant food in the US is "exotic" american food.

The gringos in DR want to eat la bandera, mofongo and plato del dia for 140 pesos. The Dominicans want ribs, wings, and GOOD burgers. . . . .. whacky. . .

I don't remember the last Outback I ate at in the states. There are way better options. In DR, Costa Rica or Brasil I have eaten at Outback. In DR, the only place to get a decent prime rib or pretty much ANY prime rib is outback. In CR and Brasil they don't do prime rib, but sometimes I just want a damn bloomin onion . . . . .

words of wisdom from someone who actually lives among dominicans. I didn't bother replying to pauleast post because I knew he had no idea what he was talking about.
AZB

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I lived in Miami, and suprisingly Tony Roma's in DR is way better for some reason.. If I was to take a date out, I'd perhaps check out one of the american style places azb mentioned.. or if you are bit more adventurous and want to try something different try out bbq express in los jardines, satay in los jardines, maybe chef pepper, zokalo cafe on luperon (near h20 bar) , maybe la campagna on juan pablo duarte for something a bit more casual.. in my opinion the american places are like a copout and it will seem like you didn't really try but there's lots of good food in santiago..

if she is more laid back and you wanna try something really suprising.. monchi's pizza on juan pablo duarte is the best pizza i've ever had (really greasy though).. I'm not a pizza afficionado or anything but I asked the owner why the pizza was so good and he said it is because he makes everything but the cheese from scratch.. sauces, dough, garlic knots, it's really good.. i wouldn't try to take some stuck up girl here tho she might make goofy faces although a lot of well to do folks in santiago frequent the place.

just wanted to add.. skip pez dorado nowadays.. it looks like a restaurant straight out of the old godfather films and is just like.. stuffy i guess.. so dark and kinda eerie.. if you must, the chinese food is pretty good but avoid the rest of the menu.. <--- pez dorado is considered one of the best restaurants in santiago but I don't think that title is going to stick long.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
words of wisdom from someone who actually lives among dominicans. I didn't bother replying to pauleast post because I knew he had no idea what he was talking about.
AZB

Not everyone has a sophisticated palate like you. No one from my neighborhood goes to "TGIF" and we can walk there. However they often are at the cockfights.
bon appetit AZB, don't forget to super size your next McDonalds meal for your chicas finas

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Not everyone has a sophisticated palate like you. No one from my neighborhood goes to "TGIF" and we can walk there. However they often are at the cockfights.
bon appetit AZB, don't forget to super size your next McDonalds meal for your chicas finas

Not even the most dedicated "gallero" in the entire world would think of taking a date to the gallera.. It's probably the biggest faux pas one can commit in the cockfighting world. It's a place for men, to gamble, pick up hookers, lose money, fight, and watch animals kill each other, not a place for a date by any means. Anyways, maybe we should meet up for a day at the gallera sometime :)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Love to. I'm a regular. Addicted to it. I do like to bring along a little arm candy, it strokes my ego. First round is on me.

alaska1986

your observations are spot on the middle class dominicans want mcpollo and kfc and fridays i dont get it..the chain food is below average in the states..i prefer local cuisine...i guess im looking for somewhere that may bridge the gap..some american food with some dominican food selections