Making the move!

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
So we've recovered from our DR trip and now the real fun begins, getting things ready to move! While on our two week vacation we found a home, lease to purchase, and got everything squared away on that so we'll have a place to lay our heads when we arrive at the end of October. It's a nice place, with a pool and a large yard (I think they call them gardens) in a secluded area of Punta Cana Village. We looked all over Bavaro, Cortecito and that area but settled on PCV because it's so close to the international school where my son will go, and where my wife will have a chance to work with any luck. Plus it seems like a great area to ride my bike when I'm home, and you can't beat the weather that's for sure!

Impressions after the trip:

The people are AWESOME! Everyone we met was very friendly and amazed that we were there not to party but to find a home. Everyone wanted to help us, which was weird at first. People in America simply aren't that way.

Cost of living is going to be a welcome change from what we're used to. I LOVE that there's not a Wal Mart that we can just pop into and buy whatever we want. I've been looking to live a much simpler life for a while now, and this will definitely afford us the chance to do that. After a quick run through the local grocery store I was shocked and amazed at how inexpensive food was compared to where we live. Unreal. I can't imagine paying even less at the smaller stores, so yeah that'll work.

Drivers! I'd read that driving was an adventure, but that in no way prepared me for the reality that was Friusa and the surrounding area! WOW! Biggest vehicle wins that's for sure! We saw a two truck wreck, but no fights over any of that so that was nice. The motorcycles make me laugh, and the fact that lanes are more of a suggestion than any sort of actual rule. When they get the new highway built it'll be some quick trips to Palma Real that's for sure!

Peace. Of all the reasons we're moving that was the most definite objective. We want a quieter life for us and our kid. We're done with the rat race, done with the hectic pace of things in the states. We want the peace that we've simply not been able to attain, and even after a brief time there in the DR we could both feel it. That slowing down, that relaxation.

So yeah, we're about to take a leap of absolute faith and more than a little madness. My family thinks it's awesome, but they nothing I do is ever really what you'd call normal, so they're not shocked. Our friends are jealous, and everyone is booking dates to come visit us. *sigh* We may have to institute black out dates just to get that peace after all!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to the bubble! We're in PCV too and our son is an 8th grader at PCIS.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You'll be just fine.... your first take is what ours was.....

We went straight off the high dive board into the deep end and have never looked back.

Smooth move w/ the lease to buy.... very nice:bunny:

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
You'll be just fine.... your first take is what ours was.....

We went straight off the high dive board into the deep end and have never looked back.

Smooth move w/ the lease to buy.... very nice:bunny:

Thanks man! I was pretty stoked to get that deal as well! I think the guy really wants to unload the house. It had been empty over a year.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So how do you and your son like the school? From what we've seen it seems awesome, but I'd love an inside perspective. My son has two years before he starts so it would be better to find out now if the fit is as good as it seems.
He has been there since 3rd grade and the experience has been mostly very good.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
So we've recovered from our DR trip and now the real fun begins, getting things ready to move! While on our two week vacation we found a home, lease to purchase, and got everything squared away on that so we'll have a place to lay our heads when we arrive at the end of October. It's a nice place, with a pool and a large yard (I think they call them gardens) in a secluded area of Punta Cana Village. We looked all over Bavaro, Cortecito and that area but settled on PCV because it's so close to the international school where my son will go, and where my wife will have a chance to work with any luck. Plus it seems like a great area to ride my bike when I'm home, and you can't beat the weather that's for sure!

Impressions after the trip:

The people are AWESOME! Everyone we met was very friendly and amazed that we were there not to party but to find a home. Everyone wanted to help us, which was weird at first. People in America simply aren't that way.

Cost of living is going to be a welcome change from what we're used to. I LOVE that there's not a Wal Mart that we can just pop into and buy whatever we want. I've been looking to live a much simpler life for a while now, and this will definitely afford us the chance to do that. After a quick run through the local grocery store I was shocked and amazed at how inexpensive food was compared to where we live. Unreal. I can't imagine paying even less at the smaller stores, so yeah that'll work.

Drivers! I'd read that driving was an adventure, but that in no way prepared me for the reality that was Friusa and the surrounding area! WOW! Biggest vehicle wins that's for sure! We saw a two truck wreck, but no fights over any of that so that was nice. The motorcycles make me laugh, and the fact that lanes are more of a suggestion than any sort of actual rule. When they get the new highway built it'll be some quick trips to Palma Real that's for sure!

Peace. Of all the reasons we're moving that was the most definite objective. We want a quieter life for us and our kid. We're done with the rat race, done with the hectic pace of things in the states. We want the peace that we've simply not been able to attain, and even after a brief time there in the DR we could both feel it. That slowing down, that relaxation.

So yeah, we're about to take a leap of absolute faith and more than a little madness. My family thinks it's awesome, but they nothing I do is ever really what you'd call normal, so they're not shocked. Our friends are jealous, and everyone is booking dates to come visit us. *sigh* We may have to institute black out dates just to get that peace after all!

I'm right behind u. Bought a place on the north coast. Planning my exit strategy from the rat race right now. Getting all my little duckies in a row to be living in the dr within the next year. And moving for the reasons you said. Looking forward to a quieter life and much slower pace. I'll probably live longer......

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
I'm right behind u. Bought a place on the north coast. Planning my exit strategy from the rat race right now. Getting all my little duckies in a row to be living in the dr within the next year. And moving for the reasons you said. Looking forward to a quieter life and much slower pace. I'll probably live longer......

Excellent! I found that while emotionally I was more than ready to chunk it up here and just go, it was a lot more difficult that I'd thought! Just the...stuff! I mean you don't really think about how much junk you acquire during your life until you are faced with having to pay by the pound to have it shipped! At that point you start separating the needs from the junk pretty fast! It's been fun though. We've already begun the journey to simpler lives, and I think as my son grows that's going to serve him well.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Keep us posted on your progress. We have been thinking over the last couple months about getting out of Santo Domingo and have discussed the pros and cons of moving to the Bavaro area. We have some friends who have a place in Punta Cana Village and they really enjoy living there.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Welcome to DR1! When you say you were amazed at how inexpensive food is in the local
grocery store, are you talking about colmados? Because if you go to the supermarkets
like La Sirena, El Jumbo and others, food is super expensive! Unless you are thinking on
eating only local produce.

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
Welcome to DR1! When you say you were amazed at how inexpensive food is in the local
grocery store, are you talking about colmados? Because if you go to the supermarkets
like La Sirena, El Jumbo and others, food is super expensive! Unless you are thinking on
eating only local produce.

I wish I could remember the name of the place we went to. It's the big grocery store in Punta Cana Village, right down near the Wendy's. I was looking at things like apples, eggs, and beef primarily, because those are things we buy a lot, and they were WAY cheaper than what we pay in the states. I can only imagine things being even cheaper in the colmados, which is pretty cool! And I do plan on eating a lot of locally produced food if at all possible. The friends I have in the DR right now say the beef is above and beyond what we get up in our neck of the woods, and without all the hormones and such.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That would be the Supermercado Nacional, which is the nicest supermarket in the area. However - we've found that our shopping bills there are about 15% more expensive overall compared to Super Pola in the San Juan Shopping Centre in B?varo.

The bread in Pola is considerably better than Nacional, but Nacional is generally considered superior for quality of meat, fish, cheese and fruit and veg. It also has a slightly better selection of non traditional/exotic/imported products.

Not sure that things are cheaper in colmados due to economies of scale. What colmados do offer their customers is the option of buying things in very small quantities.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I wish I could remember the name of the place we went to. It's the big grocery store in Punta Cana Village, right down near the Wendy's. I was looking at things like apples, eggs, and beef primarily, because those are things we buy a lot, and they were WAY cheaper than what we pay in the states. I can only imagine things being even cheaper in the colmados, which is pretty cool! And I do plan on eating a lot of locally produced food if at all possible. The friends I have in the DR right now say the beef is above and beyond what we get up in our neck of the woods, and without all the hormones and such.

Let me tell you, the beef is super tough! The way Dominicans eat it is by cooking(boiling) it for hours until it's tender.

If you are going to eat the local beef, I suggest you buy a pressure cooker. The meat will be tender
in about 30 minutes.I did not like the local beef instead I bought Angus.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
That would be the Supermercado Nacional, which is the nicest supermarket in the area. However - we've found that our shopping bills there are about 15% more expensive overall compared to Super Pola in the San Juan Shopping Centre in B?varo.

The bread in Pola is considerably better than Nacional, but Nacional is generally considered superior for quality of meat, fish, cheese and fruit and veg. It also has a slightly better selection of non traditional/exotic/imported products.

Not sure that things are cheaper in colmados due to economies of scale. What colmados do offer their customers is the option of buying things in very small quantities.

I agree. I used to buy my groceries in el Nacional(among other supermarkets) and I found it to be more expensive, except for local produce, compared to the states.Overall food is not cheap.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Please!!Make sure that the contract you signed is a valid one and that the owner has a real title to the property. Was a lawyer involved in your deal? Don't buy anything unless you have a lawyer check out the background on this property. As a tourist, you may think all is well in the land of Oz but don't be fooled. Protect yourself.

LTSteve

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Hi seacreature and a warm welcome to PC and DR. You will love it here! We did the same thing in 2006, came for a holiday, came back the following month with some idea and bought a place, moved into it in 2007 - all the way from Spain (both of us are originally from the UK)... so I can tell you that THAT move was an eye opener, just start with voltage ... anyway, here we are six years on and still loving it.. I have to say that things have REALLY changed here since then though, much more 'sophisticated' than when we first arrived. There are actually places like Super Pola, Lama - when we first came we had Plaza Estrella lol.... anyway, enough of us.. congrats for making the move, bring lots of good tools for DIY, anything that you think you would 'like' to have here too that can be a bit expensive over here. Oh yes, and a gadget for clearing out your sink pipes (like a coil).. very useful!

We are in fact going for our first holiday in 6 years... to Orlando, lol! I can't wait to go shopping for clothes and getting some 'different' food (so love and miss my Indian cuisine, I'm far too British obviously, lol). Do ask us any questions as we are not too far away from you, in Los Corales..

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Welcome Seacreature, Ive been in the DR for 10 years, Punta Cana for 5 of them. You will love it here, things are always changing. The supermarket you were at used to be a bowling alley and sports bar! If you don't like something just wait a year it will change again and as long as you don't let the little things get to you, life is beautiful!
My wife and I have a daughter about the same age as your son it sounds like. She goes to a Pre-K class in Bavaro but we were thinking to send her out to the Heritage school or the PC international when she gets older.
So what about yourself? Are you planning to work here? sneaky suspicion tells me you know something about diving but Ive been known to be wrong on occasion!
cheers

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
Thanks folks, for the warm welcomes and the great info! I've always found there's really nothing like first hand intel on the ground, and I'm sure that's the case here as well.

Yep, Nacional! That cracks me up that it used to be a bowling alley! But you know, I shouldn't be shocked by that. While in the DR I noticed a huge bit of ingenuity in the people there. They use what they have and they make it work. I think that's great! Sometimes a little scary...but great! I like that whole make it work attitude I guess. I'm a DIY freak from way back.

Tool wise I've already got a good bag packed with my essentials, and of course my whole rolling box will follow when we have everything shipped in a year.

Legality, we're good. Everything we've done is via a lawyer and it's all on the up and up. That was something I'd figured out in talking with a couple of guys I work with who have gone through the pains of learning the hard way, so it was primary on my mind. After looking at the house twice, for a good bit of time both times, I'd say my wife is about 90% on buying it when the lease is up, and I'm about 60% at this point. First, because we're not actually living there yet and you don't know jack about a house till you rest your head there. Second, my DIY nature says wait and see, because every house is different and the work involved could be huge, just depending. I'll know more after a couple of months there, but it is an awesome house so I'm really kinda pulling for it to make us love it, you know?

Tough beef huh? Good to know! I like Angus myself, as my dad used to raise them, so even if it's more expensive I'll probably go that route. We're big on grilling so my first big mission after beds will probably be a grill. We saw several sizes and prices on them as we shopped around, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

As for me...right now I work all over the world, diving as you figured, so it really doesn't matter where I live, as long as I've got a good airport nearby. The plan is to work a couple of years, pay the house off, and then maybe go teach some SCUBA at one of the resorts. I've been going to see for 25+ years, and it's time I stayed closer to home. So I'm ready for a change, I just gotta get everything sorted and I'll be semi-retired. Then I'll have time to tinker with a solar array, make more mods to my bike, and dive for fun more than money!

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Good for you seacreature! We have owned for a few years but don't live there full time...yet. We love it.
Just curious, how did you find the lease to own? You don't have to be specific but what kind of a deal did you get with this?
General info is fine;)

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
Good for you seacreature! We have owned for a few years but don't live there full time...yet. We love it.
Just curious, how did you find the lease to own? You don't have to be specific but what kind of a deal did you get with this?
General info is fine;)

I actually stumbled on it by accident! The house was for rent, as one of about 10 we were shown by our agent, and he mentioned that the one we chose, as well as three others we looked at were all available as lease to buy deals if we were interested in that sort of thing. No obligation or anything, but as a heads up. So when we decided on this one we talked details and it's basically a 12 month lease and if at the end of that I decide to purchase I get 70% of the rent I pay during the least applied to the purchase. I figure that's a win either way, you know?