Renewing expired Permanent Residency

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
If my Permanent Residency expired 4 months ago, can I still renew it? Any issues or problems?

Also, is there a minimum $ balance in a bank account required for the Bank Reference letter?

Thank you in advance for you insights ...

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005

If it is permanent how can it be expired? Like a marriage license shouldn't that expire cada rato?

I guess you are new here. I know it's stupid but yes, the "Permanent Residency" in the Dominican Republic must be renewed. It does have an expiry date. People first get a Temporary Residency Permit, and then they get a Permanent Residency permit, which as you point out is not really "permanent".

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I had to wait 'till after my temporary expired before they would let me apply for permanent. (That was two years ago and I'm still waiting for it). My impression was that you have to wait 'till things expire before you can renew them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are threads on renewing 'Permanent" residency. It is more complicated than before. Yours being expired fro 4 months should mean you just pay more for being late, as far as I know.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Permanent residents must renew their residency card after one year; subsequent cards will be renewable every four years, except for retirees and rentistas who must renew every two years. After ten years, permanent residents will be issued a definitive residency card, not subject to renewal. An annual residency fee, however, will still have to be paid.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Permanent residents must renew their residency card after one year; subsequent cards will be renewable every four years, except for retirees and rentistas who must renew every two years. After ten years, permanent residents will be issued a definitive residency card, not subject to renewal. An annual residency fee, however, will still have to be paid.

Is this not true only for retirees? As I am prior to 1996 way past the 10 years, but still working, I just renewed for 4 years. They said nothing about the definitive residency card when I renewed.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
can retirees who have permanent residency for 10 yrs get this definitive residency ? Or must they always be renewed every two years. ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
can retirees who have permanent residency for 10 yrs get this definitive residency ? Or must they always be renewed every two years. ?

I believe the new policy is for "renewal" every 4 years of "permanent residency", so there is no such thing as real permanent residency. This may drive some people into becoming DR citizens to avoid the hassle. Keep in mind you can be denied renewal if you do not pass the physical.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I believe the new policy is for "renewal" every 4 years of "permanent residency", so there is no such thing as real permanent residency. This may drive some people into becoming DR citizens to avoid the hassle. Keep in mind you can be denied renewal if you do not pass the physical.

My wife and I DID have our "permanent residency" for years. Both ours needed renewing ??? again in June. Had to start as if we had never applied before with all the tests and documents. One document we would not provide was our financial statement and we signed a waiver that worked OK.

We both have our "permanent residency" that is good for 4 years.

NOW... just to keep you all on your toes?

My wife wanted to do her Cedula while we were in S.D. but her B-day is in August. No Can DO. You have to be within 30 days of your B-Day to renew. Each month after the expiration date is another 700 pesos late charge. I'll have to go back in March when mine expires.

Bottom line is that we can not coordinate any of our papers anymore and requires more time and money to stay legal.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My wife and I DID have our "permanent residency" for years. Both ours needed renewing ??? again in June. Had to start as if we had never applied before with all the tests and documents. One document we would not provide was our financial statement and we signed a waiver that worked OK.

We both have our "permanent residency" that is good for 4 years.

NOW... just to keep you all on your toes?

My wife wanted to do her Cedula while we were in S.D. but her B-day is in August. No Can DO. You have to be within 30 days of your B-Day to renew. Each month after the expiration date is another 700 pesos late charge. I'll have to go back in March when mine expires.

Bottom line is that we can not coordinate any of our papers anymore and requires more time and money to stay legal.

isn't that great? Extra trips to Santo Domingo because one hand of the government cannot work with the other. That's the DR for you.

I did miss the important post in this thread by Dr Guzman in this thread that after 10 years an "almost permanent aka definitive residency" is given:

it isn't really permanent because you still have to pay a fee. Dr. Guzman, do "definitive residents" have to go every year to Santo Domingo just to pay this fee?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
My experience: the letter of my bank, confirming that I'm client since 2000, actual balance 30000 pesos, was sufficient for
solvency. This was in April 2013.

The rules say 100,000 pesos. Any exceptions made are at the discretion of the employee at Migracion.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Where are the rules written? Re pesos required for solvency? Yes health is important or one could lose residency....

Last edited:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Tiempo vencido / Time expired : 4 mes(es) / month(s).

Monto a pagar por atraso / Amount Due unpaid month(s) : Si tiene seis (6) meses o m?s de atraso pagar? RD$4,200.00 pesos. Si tiene cinco (5) meses o menos de atraso pagar? a raz?n de RD$700.00 por cada mes. / If you have six (6) months or more in arrears will pay RD$4,200.00 pesos. If you have five (5) months or less in arrears will pay at the rate of RD$700.00 per month. THIS IS INFO ON PAYING CEDULA LATE FEES ,

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I found the bit about the 100,000-peso solvency requirement on a FAQ on the Migracion website. That website appears to be down now.