New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Hello everyone

I've recently moved with my husband to Santiago. I arrived almost a month ago so I'm trying to get used to living here. We're both Venezuelan and lived in Brazil for some time so this feels like a pretty small town.

That's it I guess...just trying to meet someone to talk to!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hello everyone

I've recently moved with my husband to Santiago. I arrived almost a month ago so I'm trying to get used to living here. We're both Venezuelan and lived in Brazil for some time so this feels like a pretty small town.

That's it I guess...just trying to meet someone to talk to!

Welcome to DR1. Always lots of "conversation" on this message board. Join in. Also, some of the posters live in Santiago, perhaps even near you. Vamos a ver.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Where are you from in Venezuela ?
I lived in Valencia a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.
Romulo Bentancourt was the President back then.
His was the first "Rolls Royce" I ever saw.
Cris Colon

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Welcome, I am sure you will meet up with the other members here who are living in that part of the DR, they are pretty active. I would love to see Venezuela and go to Brazil, hopefully I will make it... one day. Good luck and keep on posting. BTW, love your username too (methinks you are really completely the opposite :D)

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
I'm from Caracas and my husband is from Barquisimeto. I wasn't even born when Romulo Betancourt was president lol

Regarding my handle...well, I did try to stay true to myself. Also, I'm a bit disturbed by the "conversation" remark. I shall do some research going through the forum to see what you mean, Ken.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Hello Grumpy,

Confession of the soul is virtuous. If in the future, I read a rambunctious response or quote, I would just interpret as you being yourself :)

Bienvenidos a Santiago!

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Thank you very much for the comments. I see you're an active bunch.
So far it's been a cool experience. I'm loving the supermarkets (it sounds depressing, but what's truly depressing is going to a supermarket in Venezuela or trying to afford or even find American products in a Brazilian one) and how much cheaper life seems to be here. The heat is killing me though.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Yeah, well you did come at the 'hot' time of the year... it is incredibly hot right now here in PC but at night it is getting so much cooler, thank goodness :)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Welcome to dr1 Grumpy.
LOL........
You came to the right place.
Dopey's around here somewhere.....:nervous:

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Grumpy, why did you move to DR, at least in general terms..., did you do a research to have an idea of the place?

do you have a hobby, what do you do for a living, what are the thing you like doing?

based on your answers, you will get suggestions to feel more at home in DR

btw, you can always take a confortable bus to the capital, which is not an small place by any means, and back on the same day, not an expensive trip

as they say dominicana lo tiene todo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you very much for the comments. I see you're an active bunch.
So far it's been a cool experience. I'm loving the supermarkets (it sounds depressing, but what's truly depressing is going to a supermarket in Venezuela or trying to afford or even find American products in a Brazilian one) and how much cheaper life seems to be here. The heat is killing me though.

Good to get another perspective. You'll find many posts on dr1 complaining about the high prices here.

I spent about a year in Puerta La Cruz. The meat we got in the supermarket there was better than what we get here.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Welcome to DR1. Don't worry there is plenty of toilet paper in DR.

The paper toilet thing is quite an embarrassing event, and for those of us who don't agree with the current government (and the one prior to this one) it's not a joke but a huge facepalm and a huge shame. I agree that as a Venezuelan we, as a people, should look at the bright side of pretty much every calamity. Sadly I didn't take much after my Venezuelan side of the family in that aspect.

Mr Empiric, I moved to DR basically because my husband got a job offer from his father to work at a banana plantation in Monte Cristi. Since we'd been living in Rio de Janeiro and struggling quite a bit, it was a welcome thing and a breath of fresh air to move. We had visited DR back in march (his parents have been living here for three years) and we thought it was beautiful and suitable for us as a newly married couple.

I myself am a Civil Engineer (who always wanted to work in tourism despite my social shortcomings) who has been unemployed for over a year now. I hate being a housewife and not being productive. My hobbies are basically drinking (shhh, I'm quite the beer enthusiast), reading and...reading.

About the prices...well, I've lived in two really expensive cities all my life. I still convert everything to dollars, even though I knowI'm not supposed to. I'm still not quite grasping it since it's only been a month for me here but it does seem ridiculously cheap so far compared to Brazil, where my husband had a similar salary and we were used to spending over 500USD on food a month, so I'm still in transition, still comparing to Rio.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm from Caracas and my husband is from Barquisimeto. I wasn't even born when Romulo Betancourt was president lol

Regarding my handle...well, I did try to stay true to myself. Also, I'm a bit disturbed by the "conversation" remark. I shall do some research going through the forum to see what you mean, Ken.

my son stayed with a family from Barquisimeto on a student exchange program, for a year. at christmas, the father of the family was too lazy to think up interesting gifts for his three kids, so he just got each of them a BMW 325i. problem solved.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
my son stayed with a family from Barquisimeto on a student exchange program, for a year. at christmas, the father of the family was too lazy to think up interesting gifts for his three kids, so he just got each of them a BMW 325i. problem solved.

well there are people with lots of money in Venezuela. He was probably a chavista ergo a thief. Glad your son got to experience the good life there. Upper middle class is a status my family started with (and ending in borderline poerty) while Chavez was president. Now the honest, like my father, have had to shut down their businesses while chavista, worthless scum can enjoy the amenities of having money that wasn't earned by hard work, rather by being a filthy thief, drug smuggling, money laundering piece of poo!

I apologise, this is a touchy subject for me and I don't mean to be rude to anyone. I'm just easily angered, kinda like The Hulk without the green massiveness (and the purple cut offs). The rest is there...

Oh I wish I could destroy stuff so successfully too...but I just come off as batpoo crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.