A Haitian State of Mind

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Quite the optimist, Mr. Woods. He should meet mountainannie...

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
very interesting! yes, there are people who really HAITI HAS NOTHING GOOD to offer!

Aug 21, 2007
Great article. Wish there were more pics.

I, too, agree with the take on the NGO's and missionaries. Real change does not come about during a 2 week mission trip. Real change does not involve lots of money and top down decision making. Real change sprouts from the dreams and desires of those who want and need it. Ultimately, they are the people who must do most the work. It takes time and hard work. Charity groups can provide help, but only a long term commitment- years, not weeks- working within the cultural understandings and belief systems and inside the educational ability level of the recipients.

A quick fix is often just a band aide that covers up the problem.

Lindsey

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
"Paolo Woods/Institute Radio Macaya 102.5 FM, in Les Cayes. Marie Lourdes Jean Pierre is a mambo, or female Voodoo priest. Every Sunday she hosts a program about her religion, countering the negative stereotypes promoted by Protestant missionaries."

WE need more of these shows to counter the damage being done to Haiti's culture and people by these protestant missionaries.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Paolo Woods/Institute Radio Macaya 102.5 FM, in Les Cayes. Marie Lourdes Jean Pierre is a mambo, or female Voodoo priest. Every Sunday she hosts a program about her religion, countering the negative stereotypes promoted by Protestant missionaries."

WE need more of these shows to counter the damage being done to Haiti's culture and people by these protestant missionaries.

What good does Voodoo do?

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Im sorry, its late and i followed the topic with one eye open. Saw last post and replied not going far back my bad :)

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
What good does Voodoo do?

I am not an expert on religion, however, I believe the religion has been associated with strong negative connotations by missionaries and folks bent on destroying a pure religion. Its roots are all African infused with some catholic saints. In Africa, the practice is very much alive despite Christianity, Islam, Hebrew, etc.

When a person is practicing "their" own religion, the civilization is strengthened. Its not a secret that the first thing administered to a conquered people is the religion of the conqueror, followed by language and customs. You would be eternally enslaved if you believe in the ideals of others.

India was occupied by many conquerors throughout her history but she never succumbed to the religious beliefs of others. Hindu is still the religion practiced by the majority, followed by Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Sikhs, etc. The Indians held energetically to their religion and that alone offered them solace through their many ordeals and episodes of invasions.

The practice of voodoo garnered the spirit of the ancestors and enabled the Haitians to fight as a mighty unit against the forces of Napoleon. Many people lacking knowledge or the ability to learn, have an innate disposition to malign or kill whatever they don't understand.

When a people are able to sever the chains around the mind, then and only then, could they claim freedom!

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
NAked Snake,

It appears you have described the Dominican people..the masses remain uneducated while Cardinal Rodriguez lives royal like the king of Spain. I was raised in a Catholic home where we shunned anything voudou like majority of Haitians.. As an older wiser person, I see the damage it has done to our psyche and culture. I wish I new more about it. Please do not disrespect our religion. If you don't understand it, fine but let's not defame our religion culture heritage. Neg ameriken sa frekan anpil..

This is another side of Haiti the NGO's and all of the pledges of millions of dollars don't want you to see..Haitians living a normal well to do everyday life. Look up the word pledge it doesn't mean they are going to follow through. Thank for this nice thread.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Quisqueya.. your reply prompted me to look up the donations as they stand and I was surprised to see that most of the pledges have been met.. Pledging Donors | Haiti Reconstruction Fund not that there is a lot to show for the money.. since I suppose that a lot of it went to keeping folks alive in the camps and perhaps even to cholera treatment.. and there was not much left to "build back better"

I have done some studying of voodu and I think that Christians ... particularly evangeligals.. are particularly threatened by it. Some that I have met indeed will credit all of Haiti's problems to voodu...... for the sake of argument ... Haiti and the 'Devil's Curse' - YouTube (this video uses what are considered pro Aristide or leftist sources)

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
NAked Snake,

It appears you have described the Dominican people.

Last time I saw, your country have a greater illiterate mass than mines (the proof being everyday I pass nearby one of the plantations of cement here, or simply by looking at those field hands that pass through my neck of the woods from the top of my balcony). And besides, I wasn't attacking Vodun, I was just hilighting the fact that religion provides a necessary brake on a population that otherwise would be passing through one uprising to the next.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am not an expert on religion, however, I believe the religion has been associated with strong negative connotations by missionaries and folks bent on destroying a pure religion. Its roots are all African infused with some catholic saints. In Africa, the practice is very much alive despite Christianity, Islam, Hebrew, etc.
VooDoo is a "pure" religion?

Can you please explain what a "pure" religion is?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Last time I saw, your country have a greater illiterate mass than mines (the proof being everyday I pass nearby one of the plantations of cement here, or simply by looking at those field hands that pass through my neck of the woods from the top of my balcony). And besides, I wasn't attacking Vodun, I was just hilighting the fact that religion provides a necessary brake on a population that otherwise would be passing through one uprising to the next.

And yes, Qisqueya, Vodun isn't above being used as a means to control a population, just like any other religion out there. Hint: The Macoutes weren't the only instrument Francois Duvalier would avail himself with to keep control of that country.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
And yes, Qisqueya, Vodun isn't above being used as a means to control a population, just like any other religion out there. Hint: The Macoutes weren't the only instrument Francois Duvalier would avail himself with to keep control of that country.

NS,

Religion is the opiate of the masses. Voudou isn't pure as it has many catholic doctrine. Cobraboy if you want to learn more about voudou get a book or do a google search. Please let's keep this thread focus on the other side of the coin.. Haitians living a normal well to do life.. I know it is hard to fathom but it's a reality.