POP - departing

gas

Jul 28, 2013
How soon do I need to get to POP for a flight to the US... 2 hours before?

Is there wi-fi anywhere in the airport or terminal?

How much should a taxi cost. I was quoted prices $20-$30. Is $20 the going price or about 850 pesos?

And most importantly, where can I find a place in Sosua or Cabarate that makes a decent sandwich that I can take on the plane? I have my priorities. -) And please omit rocky's and please don't ask why.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I do an hour and that's plenty. Although different airlines will have different check-in rules.

Wifi in POP available as of last year. There's one or two places at the airport that have food.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks.

I neglected to say that I'm traveling from Sosua to the airport.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Most airlines close their check an hour before the flight.

I am not the type to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight, but an hour before on an international flight is asking for trouble.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Give yourself at least two hours. Remember that boarding is a least 20 minutes before the actual flight time. You are better off to have some extra time . You can buy food at the airport.

LTSteve

Ashley Bishop

Apr 4, 2012
I flew back from Europe via Miami last weekend and noticed there is sporadic wifi throughout the airport. When I left it was just as sporadic as when I arrived...If you use the services of the VIP lounge then you can use their wifi. You can get yourself a decent sandwich in Carolinas restaurant (between gates 8/9 in the dept lounge) or a half decent burger too!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the airport is mall so getting from check-in to the gate is fast but the airlines are not so keen on late check-in. my concept is that 2 hours wait at the airport is nothing comparing to missing your flight. so i always show up early and check in straight away. i am not sure how security will react to a sammich. i know it's only liquids that are not allowed but if your aduana officer is hungry then say bye bye to your food :)

there is wifi at the airport, almost everywhere but may be a bit patchy. if you want to buy even a bottle of water brace yourself for a sticker shock. last time i bought anything at the airport i was charged 70 pesos for a small bottle that costs 7-10 pesos in a supermarket. insane.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the airport is mall so getting from check-in to the gate is fast but the airlines are not so keen on late check-in. my concept is that 2 hours wait at the airport is nothing comparing to missing your flight. so i always show up early and check in straight away. i am not sure how security will react to a sammich. i know it's only liquids that are not allowed but if your aduana officer is hungry then say bye bye to your food :)

there is wifi at the airport, almost everywhere but may be a bit patchy. if you want to buy even a bottle of water brace yourself for a sticker shock. last time i bought anything at the airport i was charged 70 pesos for a small bottle that costs 7-10 pesos in a supermarket. insane.

went to the airport in Santo Domingo once, and ordered a two hotdogs and a sprite. when i asked how much, the guy told me 12 dollars. i told him to keep it. he said that i had to pay for it, since i ordered it.

i told him i only ordered it, and i had not eaten it. i am at liberty to change my mind, i told him.

they asked me to never return. i told them i am accustomed to that request.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if any of you want a treat, use el Catey.... POP people won't be happy = too far....

No lines, no thievery , genuinely helpful, happy staff...

Whenever I can , I go there

Sandwiches are allowed ... liquids are the problem.... s/b all airports for sandwiches

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The prices are high inside the transit hall (US$5 for a small Presidente), but not that high on the outside (check-in hall) in that corner shops.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I bought a bottle of water at POP airport Wednesday of this week and only paid 15 pesos. Shocked me when he gave me that much change.
Der Fish

My guess is that was ouside security by the check-in counters. At the places inside security (by the gates), i've always been quoted "two dollars". When I ask "how much in pesos?", they usually say either 70 or 80 pesos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, the price on the outside is much like in a colmado or something. last year i was picking up someone and bought gatorade there, 50 pesos. it's the price inside that is a real killer. i am accustomed to airports charging more but DR is ridiculous.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Spirit Air gets $4.00 for a 12oz. bottle of water in flight. Ice and plastic cup are free.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Get to the Airport 1.5 Hours before departure. Grab a Sandwich at Morua Mai with fries and tell them it's to go. I travel back and forth every single month and I usually stop by and grab a club sandwich and fries and take it right thru the scanner without ever a problem. The new restaurant inside the terminal is expensive as hell. Crappy looking cheese nachos for $12 is stupid. And yes you will pay about $20 for a taxi from Sosua.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
For international flights into the U.S. airlines are required to provide a list of everyone actually on the plane to U.S. immigration dept. one hour before the airplane takes off. That is regardless of how long the trip takes to get to the U.S. That means there will almost always be empty seats on U.S. flights because many Dominicans aren't familiar with the concept of being "on time".

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I looked and looked, but couldn't find the shop on dr Rosen I'm at the airport now and basically the only option is the place at the end by gate 9. Wish I read about morau tai before I got here. security was tough, unlike SDQ, where you can probably get an a- bomb through. They nabbed my nail clippers, the first time such a thing ever got confiscated. I doubt anyone's getting water through. 493 pesos for 2 sandwiches (1 for the plane), French fries and water. Not TOO bad.

Taxi - $20

No wi-fi to be found but my iphone is a hotspot.

$25 for the VIP room. No massage so I passed.

A very small and friendly airport.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you buy a fria or refresco @ the bar near the gates in POP, he will type the WIFI password into your settings for "Free".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For international flights into the U.S. airlines are required to provide a list of everyone actually on the plane to U.S. immigration dept. one hour before the airplane takes off. That is regardless of how long the trip takes to get to the U.S. That means there will almost always be empty seats on U.S. flights because many Dominicans aren't familiar with the concept of being "on time".

It's not just the US - The WestJet Samana flt y'day sat for 1/2 on the runway until they could match the manifest to the actual passenger load....
They were one person off on the count........ hot as hell in there for 1/2 hour