U.S. says Dominican Republic violates trade pact provisions, AP reports

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Washington.- The United States on Friday accused the Dominican Republic of violating protects workers under the Cafta-Dr free trade agreement, by allowing the trafficking, forced labor and the use of children in its sugarcane fields, AP reports.

The allegations figure in a report disclosed by Labor secretary Thomas Perez, drafted after receiving a complaint in December 2011, on the Caribbean nation?s working conditions.

In addition to the report which includes 11 recommendations to Dominican authorities, P?rez announced a donation of US$$10.0 million to reduce child labor and improve working conditions.

He said United States will assess the implementation of its recommendations in six to 12 months.

The AP said it sought a comment from the Dominican Embassy in Washington, but without success.

The United States signed the Cafta-DR with the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua in 2004.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Washington.- The United States on Friday accused the Dominican Republic of violating protects workers under the Cafta-Dr free trade agreement, by allowing the trafficking, forced labor and the use of children in its sugarcane fields, AP reports.

The allegations figure in a report disclosed by Labor secretary Thomas Perez, drafted after receiving a complaint in December 2011, on the Caribbean nation’s working conditions.

In addition to the report which includes 11 recommendations to Dominican authorities, P?rez announced a donation of US$$10.0 million to reduce child labor and improve working conditions.

He said United States will assess the implementation of its recommendations in six to 12 months.

The AP said it sought a comment from the Dominican Embassy in Washington, but without success.

The United States signed the Cafta-DR with the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua in 2004.

What would constitute proof in a case like this?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Opening Your Eyes, and Looking Around"!
Reading a Dominican newspaper!!!!
To bad we all know where the "10 Million" will end up!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Actually Bob, we grow sugar cane in the side yard for the kids to "chew" on, but we don't make them plant, or harvest it!!
I bet you might have newspapers in POP?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Get Dominican TV and Radio stations????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
They all report on the abuse on children, sexual, and "Child Labor".
There was an "AD" for cable TV here a few years ago, the "Tag Line" was,
"Abre Sus Ojos"!!!!!!
Take a lesson!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Gorgon", I lived in Antarctica for 4 months, froze "some" of my "Culon" off!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Actually Bob, we grow sugar cane in the side yard for the kids to "chew" on, but we don't make them plant, or harvest it!!
"Abre Sus Ojos"!!!!!!
Take a lesson!

they got chicas there too?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Abre Sus Ojos"!!!!!!
Take a lesson!

CCC, bob is an apologist for everything Dominican. so, someone says there are labor abuses, and he wants proof. there is copious literature about this matter, not to mention video documentaries. he does not want to open his eyes, because he might see things that he does not want to.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
CCC, bob is an apologist for everything Dominican. so, someone says there are labor abuses, and he wants proof. there is copious literature about this matter, not to mention video documentaries. he does not want to open his eyes, because he might see things that he does not want to.

Accusations of the level that we are talking here have to be support by real evidence not hearsay. I see child labour everyday, usually by parents. Most of the evidence you are referring to was pre CAFTA. Can you post a recent factual report- sugarcane related.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND, the DR is always in int. courts for breaking the DRCAFTA rules anyway.
Trying to deny "Child Abuses" here in the DR, is like trying to deny the HOLOCOST!!!!!!
I wasn't in Germany, or Poland back then, but I have seen more than enough proof to make a judgement about whether or not it took place.
Take it easy Bob, Chip will be back from his "Ban" on Tuesday to agree with everything you post!!!!!!!!
Paint the school "Rosy Colored", since that's how you see everything here already.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
DR CAFTA came about in 2005. this report is from 2011

http://www.dol.gov/ilab/reports/child-labor/dom_republic.htm

From the report: SET employs 207 labor inspectors who receive training to detect child labor.(27, 52) The Government of the Dominican Republic reported that over 72,000 labor inspections were conducted in 2011 to verify compliance with labor laws, including child labor laws.(27, 53) From January 2011 through February 2012, labor inspections revealed 141 child labor violations, resulting in the removal of those children from work sites, evaluations of the children, and some referrals to CONANI shelters.( 27) In the first quarter of 2012, SET's inspections removed 17 minors from tomato plantations, 43 from rice fields, and 2 from construction sites; all the violators received sanctions.( 27) In the same time period, 77 children were removed from hazardous work in landfills.( 27) Although some information on sectors and geographic areas in which inspections are conducted is available, specific information on sanctions imposed for violations was not available.(51, 53-55)
--------------------------------
So yes there is some child labor, but the government is doing something about it. The report seems to focus on the Haitian descended children.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
AND, the DR is always in int. courts for breaking the DRCAFTA rules anyway.
Trying to deny "Child Abuses" here in the DR, is like trying to deny the HOLOCOST!!!!!!
I wasn't in Germany, or Poland back then, but I have seen more than enough proof to make a judgement about whether or not it took place.
Take it easy Bob, Chip will be back from his "Ban" on Tuesday to agree with everything you post!!!!!!!!
Paint the school "Rosy Colored", since that's how you see everything here already.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ccccccccccccccc as per normal, criticizes without reading.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From the report: SET employs 207 labor inspectors who receive training to detect child labor.(27, 52) The Government of the Dominican Republic reported that over 72,000 labor inspections were conducted in 2011 to verify compliance with labor laws, including child labor laws.(27, 53) From January 2011 through February 2012, labor inspections revealed 141 child labor violations, resulting in the removal of those children from work sites, evaluations of the children, and some referrals to CONANI shelters.( 27) In the first quarter of 2012, SET's inspections removed 17 minors from tomato plantations, 43 from rice fields, and 2 from construction sites; all the violators received sanctions.( 27) In the same time period, 77 children were removed from hazardous work in landfills.( 27) Although some information on sectors and geographic areas in which inspections are conducted is available, specific information on sanctions imposed for violations was not available.(51, 53-55)
--------------------------------
So yes there is some child labor, but the government is doing something about it. The report seems to focus on the Haitian descended children.

i notice that you left out the part that says the advances are minimal. i read the report. i posted the url.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
i notice that you left out the part that says the advances are minimal. i read the report. i posted the url.

Slavery exists on the DR alright. But it seems to me the US is being hypocritical in their denouncing this now, when they aided this very same order of things to continue by when they sent 42,000 marines here in 1965 to prevent the return of the man that wanted precisely to abolish those conditions. Are you going to say they're getting buyer's remorse now?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Slavery exists on the DR alright. But it seems to me the US is being hypocritical in their denouncing this now, when they aided this very same order of things to continue by when they sent 42,000 marines here in 1965 to prevent the return of the man that wanted precisely to abolish those conditions. Are you going to say they're getting buyer's remorse now?

NS, i would never absolve the US from its complicity in the misery that people endure on a daily basis in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
NS, i would never absolve the US from its complicity in the misery that people endure on a daily basis in the DR.

Aside from the very negative impact of the USA's failed "war on drugs" on the DR, to what other policies of the USA do you refer in causing the people of the DR misery?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Aside from the very negative impact of the USA's failed "war on drugs" on the DR, to what other policies of the USA do you refer in causing the people of the DR misery?

support for Trujillo, and the initiatives to bring in cheap Haitian labor to work on Dominican soil, to name just two.