Purchasing an apartment.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
Is it better to finance an apartment thru a bank here or the US? I think I recalled a bank here that supports financing for home purchase only too. Here, is there a penalty for paying off you mortgage early? Thanks.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
That my friend is a no brainer. do the financing in the us....unless you intend to buy it in dominican pesos, and pay it off quickly, otherwise.... usa all the way.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Generally interest rates in the US are very low compared to the DR. I do not know about any US banks that will loan money on a property in the DR. I have heard that Scotiabank will finance but I do not know about that for sure.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I doubt a US bank will give you a mortgage on a property in the DR. Are you taking a first or second mortgage on a property in the US or a home equity loan? I believe interest rates in the DR are between 6-8% for a loan on real estate. The term on the loan might be shorter.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you can get a Home Equity Loan in the US, that's the way to go, very low interest in comparison to the DR. When we wanted to buy a building in Atlantic City for our business back in the 90s, commercial mortgages were about 12-15%, so we took a Home Equity Line of Credit, which was about 5-6% at the time. Mortgage rates in DR are very, very high.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
You can get a loan from Scotia bank for any amount. You of course must be able to prove your economic solvency. The terms will depend on your financial situation and your credit worthiness.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's a gamble, unless you have some inside info.
A loan in the US will of course be in dollars. A loan in DR will of course be in pesos. If the exchange rate remains stable, the lower interest loan is better. If the dollar exchange rate climbs too much, then a loan in pesos will be better.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's a gamble, unless you have some inside info.
A loan in the US will of course be in dollars. A loan in DR will of course be in pesos. If the exchange rate remains stable, the lower interest loan is better. If the dollar exchange rate climbs too much, then a loan in pesos will be better.

Good point. We took a mortgage on a property in Santo Domingo when the peso was 32. Costs us a lot less dollars now with 42.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I doubt a US bank will give you a mortgage on a property in the DR. Are you taking a first or second mortgage on a property in the US or a home equity loan? I believe interest rates in the DR are between 6-8% for a loan on real estate. The term on the loan might be shorter.

LTSteve
Never heart about less the 9% in DR

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
minor point about Scotia Bank

This is borderline nitpicking but Scotia Bank is Canadian.

Generally interest rates in the US are very low compared to the DR. I do not know about any US banks that will loan money on a property in the DR. I have heard that Scotiabank will finance but I do not know about that for sure.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
This is borderline nitpicking but Scotia Bank is Canadian.

Yes it is a Canadian bank. However if you are from the U.S, they will loan you any amount. You of course must have the means and documentation to show your credit worthiness.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Scotia Bank in Dr is owned by the Canadian Scotia Bank but it is operated as a completely separate entity.