License plate renewal, new law needed

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
you should renew based on your birthdate, purchase date or some other personal date

it is crazy everyone has to renew at the same time,

same for other nation wide dateline, renewal etc

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Its NOT the license plate. It's the marbete. Whole different thing.

Actually, it's a hassle free, fast process if you don't wait till the last 3 days. Doesn't take 5 minutes.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Its NOT the license plate. It's the marbete. Whole different thing.

Actually, it's a hassle free, fast process if you don't wait till the last 3 days. Doesn't take 5 minutes.

you mean stikers?

explain the difference, it is the same to me

do you mean the actual system is more efficient than "my proposal"? :confused:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I got my Marbete today in Fruisa. Took all of 5 minutes. No line, no nothing.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
you mean stikers?

Stickers or "marbetes" are for cars, not people. Cars can have different owners within any given year. Cars can be owned by companies.
Furthermore, the marbetes are enforced by special police operations, that cannot be held year around. They focus on the first 1 or 2 months after the renewal deadline. Also, the resources used for the period of renewals (IVRs, phone lines, employees) are usually seasonal, and not owned by DGII.
And last but not least, it is pretty efficient right now, why change it?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
you mean stikers?

The license plate is what you have on the back of your car. The metal plate. If the government really needs money, they will also invent that everybody has to change their license plate. (I think Hipolito did that in 2002).

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Stickers or "marbetes" are for cars, not people. Cars can have different owners within any given year. Cars can be owned by companies.
Furthermore, the marbetes are enforced by special police operations, that cannot be held year around. They focus on the first 1 or 2 months after the renewal deadline. Also, the resources used for the period of renewals (IVRs, phone lines, employees) are usually seasonal, and not owned by DGII.

He KNOWs it's for cars. I don't know of anyone that walks around with a license plate around their neck.

He asked a question and didn't understand the logic and that has been somewhat explained.

Though it does appear to by seasonal, "special police operations" for the marbetes?

And it IS around someones birthday. His is the week after all the money has been collected and then he disappears for several months and has forgotten to order the new stickers for the next year.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
He KNOWs it's for cars. I don't know of anyone that walks around with a license plate around their neck.

He asked a question and didn't understand the logic and that has been somewhat explained.

Though it does appear to by seasonal, "special police operations" for the marbetes?

And it IS around someones birthday. His is the week after all the money has been collected and then he disappears for several months and has forgotten to order the new stickers for the next year.

My answer was to the last of his questions. Maybe I should have quoted just that part.
I just put it that way because it should be clear that personal documents are ok to expire on your birthday. But a car has its own legal existence and hence cannot be attached to a specific person, as it can belong to different people within a year and hence would collect the same tax more than once.

And yes, there are heavy special police operations, at least in SD, the first weeks after renewal deadlines. It's the only way to make sure everybody renews their marbete, as otherwise almost nobody would.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
license plate renewal, marbete, stiker it all the same thing

AMET works 24/7/365, more or less :)

so 1 or 2 month after the renewal dead line is time to ride without stiker, so hide during those two month only...

why change? because it is not an smooth year round operation, it is a system dating back when there were only a couple of thousand cars in dr

even later computers only did batch operations,

now all computer operations are online and in real time

with a cel phone AMET should be able to know if you did renew, even if you have a funny stiker, just by entering your plate number and accesing a data-base, if the gov allowed them to do it, they can ask for more "tips" and the gov will not be pressed to increase their salary, fun but real, that is how it is right now

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
so 1 or 2 month after the renewal dead line is time to ride without stiker, so hide during those two month only...

That's exactly what happens today. However, not many people can afford to live 2 months without their cars.

why change? because it is not an smooth year round operation, it is a system dating back when there were only a couple of thousand cars in dr

I don't know how long it's been going on, but it works fine except for the lazy asses who leave it for the last couple of days before deadline.

with a cel phone AMET should be able to know if you did renew, even if you have a funny stiker, just by entering your plate number and accesing a data-base

Stickers work because they can be seen from a distance, even if the car is moving. Otherwise AMET would have to stop everyone, take out their cel phone and check. It doesn't make any sense to me. DR does not have the resouces to keep such system online, let alone giving every AMET officer a smartphone with data service.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
ok, use the original registration date for the vehicle as the renewal date

if you use the birthdate of the owner, just change the date when the official ownership changes

i heard of the rush during the last day of renewal, you know dominican style, everything for the last minute, which is the time when they finally got the money

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Castle,

either, i am not explaining myself or you are following my line of reasoning

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Castle,

either, i am not explaining myself or you are following my line of reasoning

Maybe.
What I don't understand is why you want to change it. It works. Everybody seems happy with the way it is. You can pay online and they deliver the marbete to your house. You can use over 700 small banks that never have any lines. You are right, I fail to see why changing the system is good, what the benefits are

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
license plate renewal, marbete, stiker it all the same thing

Again, no it's not.

THIS is a license plate:
dominicanrepYEL.jpg

This is the marbete:
marbete-2010-300x225.jpg

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
This is THE easiest process you can do in this country. It's even easier than renewing your driver's license. Just get it done now and don't wait til the last minute as you know if you're not paying online that you'll have a nice line at the bank.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
mauricio,

license plate RENEWAL and license plate is not the same thing, please...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
mauricio,

license plate RENEWAL and license plate is not the same thing, please...

License plate RENEWAL is still another thing that getting a new marbete. Once every so many years you will have to renew your license plate as well. That's license plate renewal.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
License plate RENEWAL is still another thing that getting a new marbete. Once every so many years you will have to renew your license plate as well. That's license plate renewal.

how many years?

do you mean a new plate with a different number?

that is a physica [not license] replacement for a reason you will explain me

but I imagine it is because they get old and unreadable, cant see any other reason so far