Rental Car v. Taxi -- HELP

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Seeking advice on whether to rent a car when I arrive in Santiago next Thursday morning, or just suck up the cost of taxis. I shuttle about monthly between the airport and Costambar (yes I fly to Santiago and make the long drive because the flights into STI are much more time accomodating), but this trip has me stopping in Imbert for the better part of the daytime on my way north and the same on my way south back to the airport. I sense the cost of taxis v. renting a car will not be wildly different (after you consider gas and insurance for the rental). I have been driving in New York City for 20 years so I am used to aggressive driving habits, unless someone tells me the drivers along the Santiago-Puerto Plata route are worse. I only lean to a rental car because I've been told that there may not be a taxi service in Imbert that I can call late in the afternoon to get me to Costambar. I can't take a moto and a guagua isn't practical given I have luggage with me. Alternatively, if someone knows a trustworthy, English speaking (or someone patient enough to tolerate my so-so Spanish) driver would quote me an honest day rate for my first day (Oct. 10) I would love to hear from you, as the case for car v. taxi is really around my not wanting to get stuck in Imbert. I would basically be asking the driver to hang around in Imbert all day until I'm ready to leave at 5 pm or so. Sorry for the ramble and thanks for the help.

RMS

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Go with the Taxi, try to find an English speaker if you can, maybe call a company or two and ask for one, then get the cellphone of the driver, call him whenever you need him...The rate here in POP for a taxi runs between 130 - 150 pesos, SD is 150- 170 pesos, Santiago is about the same as POP from my few times going there. Another plus for the Taxi, he knows the area, people, places and things..As for driving around here? HA! forget it, be on the defensive at all times and watch the red lights for they are really green for most people here, right through them, especially the Motos..If you happen to hit POP, I have two Taxis that I use, one his name is Fabio, have his number, little English..other is Johnny, speaks English like he was from YO BROOKLYN! have his number as well..If you could take a Moto, I use Alfredo, some English, have his number too..

Overall. renting a car would be overkill in $$$$ VS Taxi hands down..Is there a reason you can't go moto?? I have a very bad back & neck, it does bother me, but Alfredo knows, so he drives more with respect when I'm on. Let me know if you want those numbers..At least you can be sure you will be safe as well and good prices..

Anthony

RGLRM

Jun 25, 2013
Do you just need transportation to and from airport or will you be paying for taxis or using the rental car in Costambar?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My sugestion is if you rent a car and the most of the time will be parked better to pay taxi, usually the cheaprest rate is 50.00 Dollars at least in the airport rent cars, not sure about other small rent car, maybe are cheaper but i had heard that sometimes they dont pay car ensurances, so if you are going to rent in one of those small companies you better verify very well about the car ensurance and policy on accidents and what you have to do if happend. At the airport rent car big companies you just have to make the report at the transit police and take the report to the rent car and they do the rest. (note they do not cover damage to 3rd. persons.)

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I always go with the Taxis....so easy and stress free. Get into an accident with your rental car in this country and who the h...knows what your liability will be with the company and the local guy you hit.

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Both. I need wheels from Santiago to Imbert, Imbert to Costambar and then in reverse a few days later. I have to make a trip to La Sirena one day. Only nits are that I need a driver willing to be in Imbert until I'm ready to leave both on the day I arrive in la RD and the day I leave.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Both. I need wheels from Santiago to Imbert, Imbert to Costambar and then in reverse a few days later. I have to make a trip to La Sirena one day. Only nits are that I need a driver willing to be in Imbert until I'm ready to leave both on the day I arrive in la RD and the day I leave.

So pay for his time/meals/lodging, what's the big deal?

RGLRM

Jun 25, 2013
Taking taxis is probably less risky but if you want to try a good rental car company check out Nelly's. They are the least expensive and still reliable. I have rented a car and done the Santiago to Costambar and Santo Domingo to La Romana round trips several times each. My suggestions are pay with a credit card that has rental car insurance coverage, always wear your seatbelt, try to drive as little as possible at night and always signal and look several times before turning for motos coming up on the side. Hope this helps.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I regularly take a taxi to santiago from sosua/cabarete area and I pay $75 -$100 for the day. there and back. The driver guy will happily sleep in the car for four hours if i am doing something somewhere else.........

I get to sit in the back of an SUV and relax, let him drive, and yes always wear a seatbelt. That's my choice. Costs a little more but works for me!

dave