What legal steps to I need to take to open my business in the DR?

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
HI Guys....
Please accept my apologies if there is already a post about this. There is so much information on this site it can be overwhelming to sift through and the search feature did not bring up any posts.

I am trying to research what I need to do legally to start my business there in the DR. Do I need a permit? Do I need to incorporate? Register with a government agency? I have no clue where to start. Do we need an attorney for all of this? My company here in the US Is an LLC and I set it up myself. Any input you have is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I'm sure there is probably a thread on this in the archive section, but I would recommend an attorney. I have dealt with Guzman and Ariza ( they advertise on this site - click on classifieds on the home page ) I was very happy with their services.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Go directly to a lawyer - do not pass go

you will get a lot of well meaning but potentially misguided advice here.

Yes to the corporation - so you need a lawyer to begin.....

Go with a good reputation - you've been given a good suggestion already

Apr 13, 2011
Has your dominican husband/fiance at least managed a small business in the DR? in the area you are thinking of opening a business? The local "politics" are a very good thing to know (and I do not mean just the politicians)...

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The very first thing you have to do these days is apply for your Cedual and Residency in your home country. Our business license from Turismo has just been renewed and they were quite particular about us being legal.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Correction ... You start by obtaining a visa to visit the dr at Dominican embassy in your country to start your residency process .

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Wow you guys!! This is great!!! Thank you for the advice!! My husband has managed and owned a small business however not in the area where we are looking to open our business. I will look into how we go about getting my visa and I am also entitled to Dominican citizenship because I am married to a Dominican citizen. We will be starting that process as well.

Where did you go to get your business license?? For my visa, there is no embassy here so can I do that when I get there?

We are not opening a bar or restaurant so no worries with that! ;)

Thank you all for your input! It is helping us A LOT!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What embassy are you looking for? I mean where is here?

Last edited:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
It would not be the Embassy here, not living here now correct??...Mercedes need to call her facing Embassy for her State...NY/NJ face Vermont for example...Mercedes, just call any US Embassy, advise them whats doing and they will tell you all of the forms that you need to fill out etc..Now, I wonder if you will need to know Spanish..But a name like Mecedes?? Come on girl, you know right?? LOL..Cool name, had a friend in Freeport NY with the same..is that yoooooU!!

Best of luck to you

Anthony

QUOTE=AnnaC;1326466]What embassy are you looking for? I mean where is here?[/QUOTE]

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Again...thank you all SOOOO much for your help!! AnnaC.....I am in Charlotte NC.

Anthony... You may have me confused with another DR1er. Mercedes is my new married last name. ;) I will call the Santo Domingo Embassy tomorrow and yes....hablo un poco espanol pero necesito aprender mas! RAPIDO! ;)

You guys are awesome!! Muchas gracias!