Foreign Driving Licence Validity (Attn Senor Guzman)

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Senor Guzman,

I understand that Ley 241 states that a foreigner may legally drive in the Dominican Republic for 90 days from their arrival in the country, providing they have a valid driving licence in their own country.

Toda persona que este debidamente autorizada para conducir un veh?culo de motor en cualquier pa?s extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a los establecidos por esta ley para la concesi?n de Licencias de Conductor, y que posea y lleve consigo una Licencia y en vigor en dicho pa?s extranjero, estar? autorizada para conducir tal tipo de veh?culos de motor en la Rep?blica Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) d?as desde su arribo.

If I stay longer than 30 days and have not extended my tourist card is it still legal to drive on my foreign licence, or would I need to extend my tourist card?

Thank you for your help.

Adrian

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Legally speaking, I dont think your 90 days is contingent to the 30 days tourist card. Actually most likely two different laws and two different departments [ministry?] are involved, inmigration and the one regulating driving permits.

When you leave they will make you pay if you never renewed the card.

the right to use your driving licence is two issues

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
most likely two different laws and two different departments [ministry?] are involved, inmigration and the one regulating driving permits.

And never the twain shall meet...

Even if you got into an accident, would anybody actually check your passport for stamp dates? I kind of doubt it.

I once made up a fake DL by taking a color photo copy of my license, then laminating it to avoid losing my real one while at beach, etc. It was obviously fake. Got pulled over by AMet and he said "This is fake, where's your real one?"
Me - "It's in my condo." He looked at me for a second and says "Please go"

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Adrian, You have been here a long time to ask that question and I would have thought you would know all the tricks!
But here is one - you get and international driving license card from you country that is good for one year - cost a few bucks - and then you show it when asked. It has a spanish section usually so it is readable for AMET . This solves the problem of the 90 day requirement on your country license and seems to work. Especially if you are down here for say 6 -7 months!

Olly and the Team

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Adrian, You have been here a long time to ask that question and I would have thought you would know all the tricks!
But here is one - you get and international driving license card from you country that is good for one year - cost a few bucks - and then you show it when asked. It has a spanish section usually so it is readable for AMET . This solves the problem of the 90 day requirement on your country license and seems to work. Especially if you are down here for say 6 -7 months!

Olly and the Team

Exactly Olly. I travel for work to many islands in the Caribbean, and I currently live in the DR. I have an international drivers license, and the only island where I have to get an additional license is Anguilla. A 90 day license there cost $25.00 / US. You can't rent a car in Anguilla without an Anguillan DL.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I just emailed the Canadian Consulate for clarification on international drivers licence and insurance .If I am driving another auto with a valid licence , are we I covered by the insured's policy

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You don't need not license, just keep a visible US $10. Dollars bills, put it halfway in the ashtray of your car while driving.

Don't leave it over there when the car is unattended, someone will brake the window!

Cosas de mi pais!:p

JJ

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I think this question is best put to an insurance company, which is what will count most. The question is whether the insurance company would pay if you are in an accident driving after the 30 days of your tourist card has expired. When you leave the country you will have to pay the difference anyway, so it makes sense to extend your tourist card so you have legal status at all times while driving here.

Last edited:

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I failed the license video exam because it is in castellano and I don't understand the Spanish from Spain.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I just emailed the Canadian Consulate for clarification on international drivers licence and insurance .If I am driving another auto with a valid licence , are we I covered by the insured's policy

I once had an accident while driving with a Canadian drivers' license during the 4th month of my stay in DR. I paid for the rental with a Canadian Visa card (TD Visa) and got in touch with them after the accident (the damage to my car was ~$1,200). They needed an official police report if the damage was over $1,000. I filled in the paperwork and emailed them, and got the cheque in mail 2-3 months later. Neither the DR police nor the insurance company were interested in how long I was in the country at that point. fwiw.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
ONCE UPON a time doesnt matter any more !.... New ball game, for a few bucks to extend tourist card For op is ridiculous risk for not doing this ... With tight times here and world wide , insurance companies look for anything to deny claims

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exactly Olly. I travel for work to many islands in the Caribbean, and I currently live in the DR. I have an international drivers license, and the only island where I have to get an additional license is Anguilla. A 90 day license there cost $25.00 / US. You can't rent a car in Anguilla without an Anguillan DL.

It is my understanding that "an international driver's license" is NOT recognized in the DR.
Dr. Guzman?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
My understanding is an international license is nothing more than a translation of your current license, therefore not valid to drive with any longer than your normal license. I seem to remember from the Manual de Transito that the DR does recognize the license but only in conjunction with you normal license.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
ONCE UPON a time doesnt matter any more !.... New ball game, for a few bucks to extend tourist card For op is ridiculous risk for not doing this ... With tight times here and world wide , insurance companies look for anything to deny claims

Off topic but where can you extend your tourist card in the North Coast ? And how much it costs ?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

Olly and the Team

Question to Olly and/or the Team: have you actually used the international licence to show to the police etc and were they satisfied?
Also, I believe you are British. Can you get an international licence from here or do you have to return to the UK to get it?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My understanding is an international license is nothing more than a translation of your current license, therefore not valid to drive with any longer than your normal license. I seem to remember from the Manual de Transito that the DR does recognize the license but only in conjunction with you normal license.

My guess is that when 'Push comes to Shove'... they can refuse any license, or at least make it very difficult.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.... if the mud is that deep from whatever problem arises, you'll have bigger things to concern yourself about.

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
It sure would be nice to have proper legal opinion

That is why I posted it in the legal section :)

To summarise and to try and get the thread back on topic (possibly a forlorn hope on DR1!) it would be helpful to have a legal opinion on:

1. Is it legal to drive on a foreign driving licence for 90 days if the licence holder's tourist card has expired?

2. Might an insurance company have the legal right to refuse an insurance claim if the driver's tourist card has expired?

3. How long is one permitted to drive on an international driving licence?

Adrian