Removing a commercial tenant???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Has anyone ever had the experience of getting a business to vacate a property in SD when they are not paying their rent?

I know it's almost impossible to get rid of a family when they don't pay.

What is the law as regards a business?

Is there any legal recourse?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Has anyone ever had the experience of getting a business to vacate a property in SD when they are not paying their rent?

i hope you are not the one with the problem. tenants are more trouble than they are worth. when i had my 2 family house in NYC, i locked up the bottom floor for 3 years, and decided that the 1200 dollars per month that i lost by not renting it was a small price top pay for avoiding the antics of tenants.

if it is your problem, i wish you well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, it's my problem. We leased part of a property to a fancy hair salon back in December, and they haven't paid rent since May.
One of the properties behind this has tenants there for 15 YEARS not paying rent, and they can't get them out.

I want to know if there is a difference when it's a business - as opposed to a place of residence.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, it's my problem. We leased part of a property to a fancy hair salon back in December, and they haven't paid rent since May.
One of the properties behind this has tenants there for 15 YEARS not paying rent, and they can't get them out.

I want to know if there is a difference when it's a business - as opposed to a place of residence.

my wishes are with you. tenants are the scum of the earth, and i would never want to ever have to deal with them again. i rented to a guy once, and had to take him to court to get him out.. he filled the refrigerator with all kinds of meat, and plugged it out. you cannot imaging the smell when went in the apartment. his wife used wigs to jam the toilet. it cost me thousands to repair the place. that is when i decided i would never rent again.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Non-paying commercial tenants have to be taken to court, to be evicted, which can take many months and in most cases years. Many landlords are putting arbitration clauses into leases, which brings down the time. Arbitration is managed by the Chamber of Commerce and apparently its handled quite fair and efficiently, but I cannot talk from experience. So options to get tenants to leave range from paying them to leave, to more drastic dominican measures, where certain pressures are applied to the tenants business.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Do you have anything in the rental contract about penalties for failure to pay, including termination of the contract?

Is the contract open ended or is it for one year and must be renegotiated if the tenant wants a another year?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Of course you have legal recourse. You just need to get the contract and details to you atty. It took us 3 months to get ours out using the suggested firm here on DR1. The problem was tracking and corning our "renters" to serve the papers and the needed legal people to collect the keys and get them to sign a paper. They had run up bills that others wanted us to pay..... more time and legal expense but got it done.

IF the electric is in your name, as we do now along with water so that gives us leverage. Review your contract and even if you are all good, expect retribution.

Key here is................ LAWYER.

Good luck

I'd personally send my own "you are outta here" squad.