Dirty money behind Dominican Republic?s economic thrust: experts

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Santo Domingo.- Three legal experts on money-laundering on Thursday referred openly to "dirty money’s" impact on the economy and on the political class.

The experts, who participated in the program Enfoque Matinal, on the CDN TV network, stressed an element that many perceive but very few dare refer to.

The only economist who cited money laundering’s impact in detail, especially drug money, was the economist and priest Jos? Luis Alem?n.

The experts all agree however that no one should doubt: that dirty money “is what explains the economic dynamism boasted by this country, despite its low productivity and competitiveness."

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...d-Dominican-Republics-economic-thrust-experts

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Mystery solved!
This guy, sure, knows what he is talking about! What country in the world, with low productivity, people drinking PRESIDENTE every day, is high in productivity? If there is one, please let me know

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I am not 100% aligned with the comments. There is also a fair amount of clean money around, in fact, the Banco Santa Cruz cash dispenser in Bayaguana only spits out new notes, crisp & fragrant. I keep my observations on this silent as it assist me in my attempts to track when the one that must be obeyed has been to the dispenser !! In addition the possibility of my evidence gathering technique could easily be used against me as well should I care to disclose by making a fuss or comment etc. :eek:gre:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wholeheartedly disagree. ever since they recalled 10 pesos note and introduced the plastic 20 pesos you will find no dirty money in DR. 10 pesos were routinely used to wipe the ass if the nature called and no suitable material was found. no one with a sound mind will use 50 pesos for that, that's one small beer right there. and 20 pesos notes, sadly, make poor wiping material, being slippery and such. easy to slip the finger into the abyss, if you get my drift.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
i wholeheartedly disagree. ever since they recalled 10 pesos note and introduced the plastic 20 pesos you will find no dirty money in DR. 10 pesos were routinely used to wipe the ass if the nature called and no suitable material was found. no one with a sound mind will use 50 pesos for that, that's one small beer right there. and 20 pesos notes, sadly, make poor wiping material, being slippery and such. easy to slip the finger into the abyss, if you get my drift.

Bit like committing perjury, one slight loss of concentration and or direction and you may well find yourself in deep sh*t !!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one good thing about 20 pesos is that it is completely washable. so after a failed wipe you can still refresh the cash as if nothing happened. think about it next time you are handled a twenty.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
BIG dirty money started coming here about 10 years ago. The laundry system has not worked for them since the cost of doing laundry has gone up... and up.... and out of sight. Those that thought that they knew it all and brought their laundry are now going broke and the partners back "home" have cut them off.

Should be interesting to watch what happens in the next few months up my way.

I love it when the D.R. comments of stuff that is over 10 years old.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A "Fast Boat" was apprehended off "Bani" this week.
1,100 kilos of cocain on board.
Along with a Colombian, a Venezuelan, and a Dominicano.
They were only missing a Mexican to have all 3 foreign drug cartels represented!!!!
Ever ask yourself WHY, there are so many Venezuelan "Shopping Malls", and high rise apartment building being built here these days???????
DON"T!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A "Fast Boat" was apprehended off "Bani" this week.
1,100 kilos of cocain on board.
Along with a Colombian, a Venezuelan, and a Dominicano.
They were only missing a Mexican to have all 3 foreign drug cartels represented!!!!
Ever ask yourself WHY, there are so many Venezuelan "Shopping Malls", and high rise apartment building being built here these days???????
DON"T!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Because Sambil is an extremely rich Venezuelan Jew and the climate in Venezuela wasn't too healthy for investment or Jews.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Well, my question is still hanging! Tell me a country where people drink beers all day behind the wheels, at all corners, but that country is highly productive? Please, tell me one if you think the ECONOMIST IS WRONG!
I am waiting........

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
If you compare construction prices for homes with the renting prices and know that the min. rent you can get money from a dominican bank is 9% than it must be black money in it.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Holy sanitation DV8, time to break out the checkbook again and carry super dee duper hand disinfectant gel at all times...Wonder Twin powers, Activate!

So glad I clicked here..:ermm:

one good thing about 20 pesos is that it is completely washable. so after a failed wipe you can still refresh the cash as if nothing happened. think about it next time you are handled a twenty.