Strip Searched at STI airport

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Last week my girlfriend and I traveled from Santiago to FTL on Spirit, I had to go back to Miami to see the doctors because I caught a Staph infection a few weeks after my Aortic Valve Replacement surgery (was born with a biscuspid valve). I was already in pain when my girlfriend drew the SSSS designation on the boarding pass, which I thought was just an extra security search through her belongings.

Turns out they put her in a special room and made her strip completely naked, even the panties down. They even went for a special look, but no probe. She is European and was not a happy camper. In addition, they used some toilet deodorant stick thing and told her it was a Marijuana detector that had detected marijuana on her (after they used it on the ankle - I am not making this up!) This is quite comical, since she has never smoked in her life, and she knew it was one of the dispenser things you use for the toilet. What a bunch of idiotic amateurs.

Anybody else get this treatment?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Really makes flying a pleasure these days, doesn't it?

The seats gets smaller, the baggage allowance less, there is no food to speak of, I think they still give water, right?

but the SECURITY.. particularly going into the US.. THAT is just outrageous..

random strip searching? I have not read about that happening to returning to Americans...

bad enough that you have a full naked body scan and have to throw out any liquids.. can't transport perfume, etc.

I figure that it is lucky that I have seen the USA.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Must not have been nice at all.

My wife travels a lot and has the VIP passes for airports and goes thru a different security and immigration. She never gets stripped searched anymore and is complaining about it and thinks that she is not as attractive as she once was.

I know. Bad joke and not appropriate.

The U.S. has a system that does speed everything up and does whisk you thru everything very quickly and many other countries honor it also. To qualify, they do a background check. Here in POP, they do not but she gets the VIP treatment cause she knows everyone and they know her.

I don't have the "pass" since I don't travel very often but it does confuse everyone when we travel together.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
I believe the search occurred in Santiago. Not the US.

Exactly. It's usually the Latin Americans being strip searched all over the world. Maybe the woman decided "let's grab this gringa and do the same to her that is done to others". That's just my point of view.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I believe the search occurred in Santiago. Not the US.

yeah, that's exactly what i mean. i would not want to be subjected to the strip search just to enter the states. and you know the immigration officer would be fully dressed and no kissing on the mouth involved. and on the way back, if i dared to fly to the states with all the contraband i carry on they'd just present me with a hazmat suit clad squat to exterminate me along with my polish sausages.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They took my Italian salami returning form Italy... that Polish stuff would make the dogs roll over....

Confiscated contraband.... gone like snow in July

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly. i had around 10 kilos of deli stuff with me. plus fruit syrup, honey, cheese and lemons. can you imagine taking that through murica? worse than weapons of mass destruction.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
a woman gave me a stomach xray on my last trip back from santo domingo i never have been checked heading back to the u.s

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I empathize, but at the same time you have to understand that unfortunately The DR has become a huge drug transit hub to Europe and The US and a lot of those drugs are taken inside and or taped to their bodies. If you travel frequently in//out of the country or come in for short stays you'll be stopped at a certain point, because most people don't do that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yeah, that's exactly what i mean. i would not want to be subjected to the strip search just to enter the states. and you know the immigration officer would be fully dressed and no kissing on the mouth involved. and on the way back, if i dared to fly to the states with all the contraband i carry on they'd just present me with a hazmat suit clad squat to exterminate me along with my polish sausages.

Who stole the Kishka?

[video=youtube;EAmLXrMv4-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmLXrMv4-c[/video]

Or was it a kielbasa? Just make sure they don't play hide the kielbasa.

I have never heard of anyone being stripped searched to that extent. Sorry to hear it happened to your girl friend.

May 12, 2005
I empathize, but at the same time you have to understand that unfortunately The DR has become a huge drug transit hub to Europe and The US and a lot of those drugs are taken inside and or taped to their bodies. If you travel frequently in//out of the country or come in for short stays you'll be stopped at a certain point, because most people don't do that.

Also perhaps she fit the profile or description of someone who they were looking for.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sen Edward M Kennedy was pulled aside regularly, believe it or not.

There was an Edward Kennedy on the 'no fly' list.

If they pull him aside after seeing him on TV that morning, it shows that the system ain't perfect - by any stretch of the imagination

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
and people ask me why i won't consider flying home via USA.

Actually the first time I'd ever seen anyone segregated for a strip search was at Heathrow back in '80 when America had virtually no airport security to speak of. They made a Jamaican Woman go into an area set up with portable (translucent) cloth screens which was in the middle of a huge departure hall and everyone sitting with me awaiting our Swissair flight watched her clothes drop to the floor, one by one as her bent silhouette complied. There were two Male officials and one Female attending.

I was humiliated for her. Now is US who direct the high tech strip search and body cavity/ inner organ scans. This is insane.