Car trade in and purchase advise, what is the paperwork process here in the DR?

namahs

Oct 3, 2011
Hello,
I want to trade in my car for a newer one. I went to Santiago and found the car I would like to get. I have negotiated the price and the price for my trade in. My question is..... What is the process for trading in a car in regards to the payment and the paperwork? Here is what the dealer is telling me.

I need to pay for the difference between the value of my car and the car I want when we meet at the lawyers office.
The dealer will write me a receipt (contract) and it will be notarized by a lawyer at the lawyers office.
I need to give the dealer my original matricula (title) for the car that I am trading in.
I can take the new car home that day.
The matricula (title) for the new car will be ready in 3 days and will be put into my name. I can pick it up from him.

Does this sound right? I thought he would just give me the original matricula in his name, he would sign the back, and then I would transfer it myself with the notarized bill of sale that we got at the lawyers office.

Thanks!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It sounds right to me. It is much easier for you if the dealer does the paperwork for the matricula for you. I suppose the only question is whether the lawyer is legit.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I was under the impression that if you bought and sold through a dealer that no lawyer was needed

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What he is telling you is correct. Much better to let the dealer handle the paperwork. As long as he is reputable.

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
I was under the impression that if you bought and sold through a dealer that no lawyer was needed

You don t ever need a LAWYER when buying/selling a car. However, the sales contract must be legalized by a notary public. And i agree, let the agency do the paperwork, just make sure they don t overcharge you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You don t ever need a LAWYER when buying/selling a car. However, the sales contract must be legalized by a notary public. And i agree, let the agency do the paperwork, just make sure they don t overcharge you.

In order to be a Notary Public in the DR, you have to be a Lawyer. So if you need a Notary Public, you in fact need a Lawyer.