Six month rule?

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Hi Folks,
Oh heck....before all the new immigration rules went into affect over a year ago, I thought I understood that you may loose your Permanent (or Temp) residencea if you spent 6 or more consecutive months out of the country, and would be required to "start all over again" from scratch. Was I drinking to much cerveza that day? I had to leave the DR this past June, and am on the other side of the planet right now. My "Perm" doesn't expire until July, 2014 but do I have to consider coming back to get my passport stamped soon?
Has anyone tested this rule....or is it just a figment of my small imagination?
See you in February if not sooner.
Thanks,

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is the rule - whether it is being enforced / observed is the question.

Personally, I wouldn't test it.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Hi Folks,
Oh heck....before all the new immigration rules went into affect over a year ago, I thought I understood that you may loose your Permanent (or Temp) residencea if you spent 6 or more consecutive months out of the country, and would be required to "start all over again" from scratch. Was I drinking to much cerveza that day? I had to leave the DR this past June, and am on the other side of the planet right now. My "Perm" doesn't expire until July, 2014 but do I have to consider coming back to get my passport stamped soon?
Has anyone tested this rule....or is it just a figment of my small imagination?
See you in February if not sooner.
Thanks,

No you read the same thing as I did, although when I questioned it, there was much banter back & forth. Apparently, in the new laws, you had to apply to have extended leave from the DR, which in fairness, brings it into line with other nations. For example, my UAE visa expires automatically if I reside out of the Emirates for 6 months.

Whether or not it is or has been enforced I cannot comment, but it was in the new laws for enactment.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want trouble go for an extension, otherwise do nothing and that is what the Government will do . NOTHING.....

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
bayaguanaman....I am in the UAE as well and agree that the Emirates WILL enforce immigration policy to the letter...no deviation. They seem to have their act very much together on this and know who every person inside the country. But.....this is the Dominican Republic we are talking about here. (Absolutely no disrespect intended).
I shot off an email to my abogados in POP for advise. But the more I think about it, doing nothing may be the best thing to do. I hate thinking about flying back just to get the passport stamp.
Stay tuned and THANKS for you comments!!!
Respectfully...

miozio

May 23, 2009
Our permanent res. cards expired a month ago and according to the law, permanent residence status will be in place for 5 years. "If five years elapse after a permanent residence card has expired, technically the applicant loses his residency. Exceptions have been known to be made. "
Seems to be logical to me. Source: DR1 - Legal

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
My question is basically the same. My step-daughter has permanent (10 yr.) U.S. residency. She has lived in the states for a while after getting her 'Green Card'. She returned to the D.R. The question is....does she have to return before 6 months, or before 1 year elapses? I read online that she has one year, but need to confirm.

Thank you

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My question is basically the same. My step-daughter has permanent (10 yr.) U.S. residency. She has lived in the states for a while after getting her 'Green Card'. She returned to the D.R. The question is....does she have to return before 6 months, or before 1 year elapses? I read online that she has one year, but need to confirm.

Thank you

If your daughter wants to keep her green card in the US, she will have to actually live in the US or she will very likely be subject to removal from the US. Returning to the US for a short time before 6 months is over will not be sufficient.

That is a different issue than the topic of this thread in what the DR will do to legal residents if they don't live in the DR which is probably nothing.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
six month rule?

If your daughter wants to keep her green card in the US, she will have to actually live in the US or she will very likely be subject to removal from the US. Returning to the US for a short time before 6 months is over will not be sufficient.

That is a different issue than the topic of this thread in what the DR will do to legal residents if they don't live in the DR which is probably nothing.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread. She returned to the D.R. to attend school for 1 term. My concern is if she has a year before returning to avoid issues, or if she needs to return before 6 months expire. The govt. has a form to complete if you want an extension, but the confusion is with the time period; 6 months, or 1 year.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My Dominican nephew has a US 'green card', and while he was attending university in Santo Domingo he had a waiver from the US Government. After he graduated, he flew to the US and they flagged him at the airport and told him he had to reside in the USA for either 12 or 18 months [I forget which] or lose it. He went back to SD, so I presume he turned it in - both of his parents had done that a couple of years ago, in exchange for 10 year US Visas.

The "old days" of coming and going at will are long gone. Big Brother watches everyone and everything.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

Thank you

She needs to return before the six months is over. My father has a green card(never wanted to
become a US citizen) lives in the DR and has to travel to the states or PR every 6 months(touch
US soil) or will lose US residency. This is what he was told by immigration.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
She needs to return before the six months is over. My father has a green card(never wanted to
become a US citizen) lives in the DR and has to travel to the states or PR every 6 months(touch

That's what it used to be bronzie, in the past couple of years that has changed. If you don't live in the US, you can lose your residency, no more quick trips/weeks in PR do it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They all count the days.... the Airports.

In fact, as a non-resident, if they are watching your days in the country ( to see if you are overstaying and therefore taxable) they will count a plane change in the USA as one day of 'in the country'... counts towards your annual total.

Very fussy these days.....

and they know EVERYTHING about you....

I was stopped for a traffic situation.... they splayed me on the hood of my car w/ guns drawn before questioning me.
They knew my full name - and called me by it.

Why? b/c they saw on my record - before stopping me - that I had a gun licence.

Question #1 - do you have your gun w/ you Mr Webster??
They are very careful w/ gun carriers, I gues

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

That's what it used to be bronzie, in the past couple of years that has changed. If you don't live in the US, you can lose your residency, no more quick trips/weeks in PR do it.

AE is correct, your father or anyone else who just "visits" the US every 6 months, could have his residency pulled at any time because he does not really live in the US. I know two people that had this happen.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Thank you

As far as I know from my relatives living in USA, they dont want you stay out of USA more than 3 months, not anymore like before that they acept 6 months.

The husband of my cousin stayed here for 6 months and returning to USA they want to make troubles to him because of that, he was lucky because was traveling with my cousin and her daughters all american citizens.

they are now keeping records in the computer, they dont care about stamp in your passport, so you better make up your mind and apply for citizenship to avoid all this problems and take a risk to lose your green card if stay 6 months or over.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
AE is correct, your father or anyone else who just "visits" the US every 6 months, could have his residency pulled at any time because he does not really live in the US. I know two people that had this happen.

Oh boy!:cross-eye