Does any have any positive news for tourism in the North Coast?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Well it's been six months now. I had to return to the UK for work as there was none for me as an aircraft engineer in POP.

7 Years ago I landed the dream job of my profession. My own base in the Caribbean working for a UK charter airline. I fell in love with my new home and made my move to the DR permanent. Bought a nice house and settled down with a wonderful Dominican who has since blessed me with two beautiful twins Unfortunately that airline doesn't fly to POP any more and I was given the choice of redundancy or a move back to the UK. I chose redundancy and made a go of it on my own here. I spent most of my redundancy in creating my own aviation maintenance business and partnered up with another European company to provide support to all the European airlines. Initially business was okay, but one-by-one the European airlines stopped flying to POP. The only regulars that remain are Thomson from the UK, Air Berlin and Condor from Germany. Thomson and Air Berlin have their own guys looking after their planes, so that left me with Condor. Which is not enough to support my business alone.

The airlines that used to fly to POP, but have recently withdrawn are:
Thomas Cook - UK
Thomas Cook - Scandinavia
Transaero - Russia
Edelweiss - Switzerland
XL France
Finnair
Martinair - Netherlands
Arkefly - Netherlands (they may come back)
Jet Air - Belgium
Air Europa - Spain
Corsair - France

However, most of these still fly to PUJ. Why?

Well the price of jet fuel in POP is possibly the most expensive fuel in the Caribbean. The airport fees imposed by Aerodom, the owners of POP airport are almost downright extortionate. Even though they have invested a small fortune in recent refurbishments. But they are still extremely high and there is a huge amount of speculation about corruption and misappropriation of public funds.

But mainly by lack of promotion by the tour operators. Where would all these passengers stay if the airlines came back? Why would they want to stay in run-down 20 year old hotels and resorts with very little to offer compared to the new shiny resorts of Punta Cana. If you look at the holiday brochures, those that do operate in both POP and PUJ are actually offering much cheaper deals to go to PUJ and stay in a much nicer and newer resort.

I try to look ahead with some optimism, but I can't help feeling that the writing is on the wall for POP and the North Coast. I am looking at the reality that if I want to stay and work in this country then I would have to sell up and move to PUJ. But even then, I can't imagine my house selling overnight, unless I gave it away.

Is Danilo intending on accommodating all his 10 million tourists in PUJ, where his predecessor built his fancy hotels and is now reaping his own benefits? It's no secret that Lionel invested heavily his own personal fortune in these East Coast projects. And If Danilo is the economist, what are his plans for the North Coast?

What about this new cruise ship terminal in Maimon? What would be the reality of it becoming a transit port using the connection with POP airport?

I need some good news, but alas I fear I will not be getting any for the foreseeable future.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Very informative with your insightful thoughts. Well done. Sorry that I don't have anything that would be encouraging.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Unfortunately what happen to POP is that other parts of the DR have more too offer in way of tourism. I stayed at AIs in POP 20 years ago and even then they were run down. Punta Cana and Las Terrenas are now the hot spots for tourism. It is said to say but with all the competition within the DR and around the world I can't see how POP will ever recover to the point where is will be thriving again. Yes, I'm sure many politicos in the DR have stuffed their pockets from the benefits of new development. The DR will have to change their pricing on flights into the country or North Americans and Europeans will find other alternatives.

LTSTeve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Unfortunately what happen to POP is that other parts of the DR have more too offer in way of tourism. I stayed at AIs in POP 20 years ago and even then they were run down. Punta Cana and Las Terrenas are now the hot spots for tourism. It is said to say but with all the competition within the DR and around the world I can't see how POP will ever recover to the point where is will be thriving again. Yes, I'm sure many politicos in the DR have stuffed their pockets from the benefits of new development. The DR will have to change their pricing on flights into the country or North Americans and Europeans will find other alternatives.

LTSTeve

the problem of analysis that i see regarding tourism in POP is that people make the same mistake of saying that PC and Las Terrenas have just about killed POP.

yeah? and what about the competition from outside the DR? it seems that people have tuned in to the hype that the DR is the number 1 in the caribbean, because they get the highest footfall. quantity; yes. quality; doubtful.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a lot of talk along the north coast of upcoming activity but only two actual projects underway.... both at Playa Grande.
Search Dolphin Capital for more info.

Rumors of other projects from Gaspar Hernandez to RSJ are heard and small indications may be seen, but nothing to hang your hat on yet.

In classic RD manner, the brand new airport , AZS, is severely underutilized.
One has to think that will not always be the case.

Airport, toll road -- good infrastructure is in place but not enough development - yet!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I feel you there Beeza I am too looking to get out of here in the new year Im busy emailing my resume to companies in the UK Europe and Middke East for soime Shotcrete work in the tunnel industry as I do not see things impriovig here on the NC just les tourism and more expats leaving I still love this country but I gotta go make $$ for my wife and son. By the way I never did fix the table tennis table still got the chassis in the back !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Of course there is the Cruise Ship port at Maimon being worked on as we speak. That alone will cause a miracle of rebirth on the north coast. (I am joking.) In the future, it may lead to some people on those cruises returning to the DR if they like the experience.

The north coast is going the "residential route". Hotels replaced by condos as the hotel owners saw occupancy rates drop, they converted or went out of business. Condo owners don't travel as often as vacationers on 2 week trips. That is a result and a cause for fewer passengers along with the exorbitant flight costs as travellers decrease in numbers. And don't forget, there are few economies in the world doing well now which means less money for people to pay for more expensive flights.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Windguy has an excellent point that I agree is a bullseye. The N.C. is all about villa and condo development at the moment. Look at all the high end properties just in the Sosua area alone. Also the rental market is very good for condos, I can personally attest for this. All in all the the N.C. is redefining its self in multiple ways. What the end product will be who knows. Less A.I. That's a safe bet.

drescape24

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Beeza, I wasn't aware about Leonel's investments in Punta Cana. One has to wonder if he has any 'connection' to Aerodom - make POP fail, to steer tourists to PC.

I've noticed the AI Hotel & air packages to PC are often less expensive than buying just a flight into Santo Domingo.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Beeza, I wasn't aware about Leonel's investments in Punta Cana. One has to wonder if he has any 'connection' to Aerodom - make POP fail, to steer tourists to PC.

No coincidence Grupo Abrisa, Hazoury owns Aerodom and Cap Cana?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's such a shame and a real waste.

You only have to go back five or six years ago. I remember Cabarete beach in it's hayday. The beach would be full of revellers until the sun came up. All the bars and businesses were booming. The planes were full and the hotels were full.

My wife went to Cabarete beach last night to meet up with a friend and have a few drinks in Ojo's and Onno's. She reported that there was not a gringo in sight. The bars were full of hookers who were just sat there in the vain hope of a john, nursing one drink all night long. Maybe these were the girls that have been kicked out of Sosua by Iliana's clean up.

This decline has been so drastic in such a short time. Really really sad.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Why you don't try to get work in Miami? At least you would be much closer to the DR...

I'm not American! I think my Dominican wife would have a better chance of getting a green card than me. Especially as I would be stealing an American's job!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Can the "conspiracy theory" of tourists deliberately being driven away from the north coast by Aerodom be true? It seems farfetched, but you never know here. It would seem obvious that if lowering the fees would increase traffic, that would make them more money in the long run.

It's certainly true that the north coast is changing from a package tour destination to a self-catering villa/condo residency.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I know you are from the UK. I've thought they might be an opportunity like you had before with a UK airline maybe...

I'm not American! I think my Dominican wife would have a better chance of getting a green card than me. Especially as I would be stealing an American's job!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
The DR is not alone, quite a few airlines that once flew to their normal destinations has also changed, started with JAL about 3 Years ago and once again you can blame the cost of fuel...If you think the DR has its issues with the current president, I'm not so sure its him, its most likely from the BS Wars that continue to go and the uncertainty of the direction that Iran is going in with its Nukes Program..There is a lot at stake, so the Middle east as I'm sure you know, has a great impact on costs of Oil. Now, as with the President of the USA, that dip **** does have the power to hit the reserves so the price drops, Bush has always done that when we got hit with the so called spike in cost..So far, I have not heard of this Obozo doing so and he damn well has the power or just draw up one more of his many executive orders to get what he wants..I wonder if the DR President has the same power or is there any reserves here in the DR, no idea.. But who supplies the DR? Venezuela?

Overall, whatever President,its not just their responsibility to help control the cost of our Oil, but to make sure that jobs are not affected by it as well..I mean come on! If all of the sudden we are paying a buck extra for a gallon of gas, I would be very concerned at the other things that depend on it as well..The first thing that comes to my mind are airlines..but hey! the US President goes out for joy rides in Air Force One, he could care less and he does, tells us so

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Having lived many years in the North Coast and about 3 plus in Punta Cana I can tell you that Punta Cana, Bavaro area is the place to go if you are in the tourist or airline business. The flights in and out of PUJ are incredible. Also they are building new roads like crazy here.

It is apparent that the resources of the DR Govt. are in Punta Cana now. Having said that I loved the North Coast for living, and go back from time to time. But for tourism or to make money in tourism, or tourism related business there is only one place to go in the DR. Las Terranas a distant second.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The DR is not alone, quite a few airlines that once flew to their normal destinations has also changed, started with JAL about 3 Years ago and once again you can blame the cost of fuel...If you think the DR has its issues with the current president, I'm not so sure its him, its most likely from the BS Wars that continue to go and the uncertainty of the direction that Iran is going in with its Nukes Program..There is a lot at stake, so the Middle east as I'm sure you know, has a great impact on costs of Oil. Now, as with the President of the USA, that dip **** does have the power to hit the reserves so the price drops, Bush has always done that when we got hit with the so called spike in cost..So far, I have not heard of this Obozo doing so and he damn well has the power or just draw up one more of his many executive orders to get what he wants..I wonder if the DR President has the same power or is there any reserves here in the DR, no idea.. But who supplies the DR? Venezuela?

Overall, whatever President,its not just their responsibility to help control the cost of our Oil, but to make sure that jobs are not affected by it as well..I mean come on! If all of the sudden we are paying a buck extra for a gallon of gas, I would be very concerned at the other things that depend on it as well..The first thing that comes to my mind are airlines..but hey! the US President goes out for joy rides in Air Force One, he could care less and he does, tells us so

Keep cashing those disability checks in paradise mate.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Having lived many years in the North Coast and about 3 plus in Punta Cana I can tell you that Punta Cana, Bavaro area is the place to go if you are in the tourist or airline business. The flights in and out of PUJ are incredible. Also they are building new roads like crazy here.

It is apparent that the resources of the DR Govt. are in Punta Cana now. Having said that I loved the North Coast for living, and go back from time to time. But for tourism or to make money in tourism, or tourism related business there is only one place to go in the DR. Las Terranas a distant second.

I hear you SKY. That's what everyone is saying. But what is it like to live there as a family? My missus is concerned that there would be nothing for her to do there. Has the infrastructure grown enough to support residents in that area? I've heard that the cost of living is substantially higher too.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Having lived many years in the North Coast and about 3 plus in Punta Cana"

Same here. :)

Here is really everything moving on. When we came here there was no (big) supermarket. Now we have Pola, Nacional, Plaza Lama. There were no sidewalks, now there are miles and miles of it. A "Town Center" is being build. Etc. etc.

There are 2 cinemas, good schools, Baseball and Football academies for the kids. Water park at one of the hotels. Not the nice landscape you find on the NC though...

Didn't see that much going on in 12 years on the NC what I have seen here in 3 years.