Do I have to set up a Limited company to run a biz in the DR?

KQsuited

Oct 20, 2013
I have been offered to run a small business in the DR, is it possible to simply run it in own name or, does a foreigner (me: German national) HAVE to set up a Sociedad Limitada to do so?
Of course I am aware that an Ltd. will limit my risk and all that, but in my case that is not such a factor.

What is the exact procedure, do I have to register the business and where (tax office, chamber of commerce etc?).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Depends on what you will do. As an independent plumber or likewise service it's not necessary, you can get an RNC (your cedula) and your customers will have to deduct 10% + 18% from your fee when paying you (if they want to be able to report the costs to the dgii.

The process to start a SRL or EIRL is hassle free though and cheap, and will give you the benefits to report itbis on company spendings, but of course will make you have to pay tax.

KQsuited

Oct 20, 2013
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that the biz would include having 3-4 employees. Just found that document from Guzman abogados about the various forms of corporations here, so it looks like the EIRL is the way to go for me. Only thing I need to find out how complicated it is to close the company later on. Opening one seems very straightforward and cheap alright.
But I had recent experience (in Turkey), where opening a LTD is easy and cheap, but closing is a nightmare and 10 times more expensive. Don't want to go through that again...