Power Outages

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
I have read that most hotels there have generators to deal with power outages. Would you
guys comments on weather condos in Sosua have generators. For example, are generators
limited mostly to condos located in the more upscale gated communities?

Thanks
Harry

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
I imagine any building with a number of floors above x value [5?] is required to have an elevator... building regulations. If so, a generator could also be required by regulations,

considering seniors and people with disabilities.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you sound familiar. have we met on dr1 before, empiric?

72gls1.gif

generators are not so popular due to the cost of running and/or noise. inversors, yes, more common and good enough for normal power outage. look for a place with working inversor and a set of batteries.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I imagine any building with a number of floors above x value [5?] is required to have an elevator... building regulations. If so, a generator could also be required by regulations,

considering seniors and people with disabilities.

Thats the funniest thing I have read in a while.......LOL....regulations.....LOL.....
Hey why don't you come live here for a while and then you can talk about regulations....again LOL.....

Back to the OP, most condos have back up power, and most houses have an inversor, if it's a rental property.......

regulations.....LOL

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I wonder, where is the main power plant located in DR? I tried look for one in Google Maps but I couldnt find it ... Someone told me its next to SD unless I am mistaken, please guide me where it is.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Please dont blow up a power station, its already bad enough now.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
There is more than one generating station in the DR, there are even a couple of Hydro-electric plants as well.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
i learned here pretty quick that properties here dont come with anything that you would expect them to come with if you are a gringo. even rental properties. stove or range? nope. fridge? nope. A/C? nope. a rental that I used to live at with my wife didnt even have shower heads, shower curtain rods or closet rods. Our upscale new construction condo had a shower head but thats it.
everything else i had to buy.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
I have read that most hotels there have generators to deal with power outages. Would you
guys comments on weather condos in Sosua have generators. For example, are generators
limited mostly to condos located in the more upscale gated communities?

Thanks
Harry

Weather????? Are you sure?????

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
As my English teacher used to say, "We'll weather the weather whatever the weather WHETHER we like it or not........"

Most big complexes have generators as it works out cheaper than having lots of individual inverters

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
LOL. I'm amazed at the above posts.

1. Just about ALL reputable condos/apts. will have a gen.
2. Ask the condo/apts that have web sites that you are looking at for that info if not on their site.
3. Asking here is.... see 1 and 2 above.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
i learned here pretty quick that properties here dont come with anything that you would expect them to come with if you are a gringo. even rental properties. stove or range? nope. fridge? nope. A/C? nope. a rental that I used to live at with my wife didnt even have shower heads, shower curtain rods or closet rods. Our upscale new construction condo had a shower head but thats it.
everything else i had to buy.

It all depends at what you are looking for and where. And how much you know about the before sentence.

If you can not do a "walk through" and figure it out...I don't feel sorry for you at all.