Boat sinks off Dominican Republic north east coast, 12 dead, 39 missing

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Sabana de la Mar, Dominican Republic.- The chase for the American Dream has again met with death for many of the around 65 boatpeople on a makeshift craft that sank near Samana?s coast while trying to reach Puerto Rico Saturday morning, as the overloaded boat broke up from the high waves, leaving 12 dead, 14 injured and 39 missing and presumed drowned.

Local medina of the Atlantic coast towns of Nagua, Samana and Sabana de la Mar report that the undocumented travelers paid a total of around RD$1.5 million in cash to board the boat called a yola, whose captain, identified only as Berto, allegedly organizes illegal crossings, said the survivor Rey David Cepeda, quoted by diariode3.com.

The coroner Santini Calder?n Gast?n said 12 bodies have been recovered thus far, including 30 year old Enny Altagracia Morrobel Lopez, who was pregnant.

The injured, from 23 to 50 years of age, and the bodies were taken to Elupina Cordero Hospital at Sabana de la Mar, where the search and rescue operation contiues.

Among the dead figure five women and seven men, which the authorities have yet to identify

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...nican-Republic-north-coast-12-dead-39-missing

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we were talking about this passage (between DR and PR) on saturday. apparently this is a very difficult area to cross. and so many dominicans cannot swim. in many cases help arrives quickly and just being able to float would mean surviving...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
My Puerto Rican-American paisano tells of his adventure to explore La Mona. He anchored off-shore but the waves become so high and ominous that he had to weigh anchor. His anchor, however, was got stuck. With his wife and daughter onboard, he tells of the fear of capsizing and losing his family and life. He thought to cut the anchor rope and made it back safe to port in PR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Like WHERE?????
Any place that lets in poverty stricken Dominican "Campesinos", and deported drug dealers, ain't any better than here!
Although being able to "Swim" is always a plus, the Sharks will be more than happy to dine on "Sushi Dominicano" just the same!
These poor souls need to have a "Sit Down" with "chip', and "Bob" before they leave!
They will enlighten them to what a Paradise the DR really is!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Like WHERE?????
Any place that lets in poverty stricken Dominican "Campesinos", and deported drug dealers, ain't any better than here!
Although being able to "Swim" is always a plus, the Sharks will be more than happy to dine on "Sushi Dominicano" just the same!
These poor souls need to have a "Sit Down" with "chip', and "Bob" before they leave!
They will enlighten them to what a Paradise the DR really is!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Grass is always greener on the other side. My wife has talked several people out of trying this. Her own cousin flew to Mexico and got across the border at Brownville 30 years ago and became an American about five years ago after getting the last amnesty.

May 5, 2007
Grass is always greener on the other side. My wife has talked several people out of trying this. Her own cousin flew to Mexico and got across the border at Brownville 30 years ago and became an American about five years ago after getting the last amnesty.

What do the people pay the "Coyotes" or whatever they are called to take them across the passage? I have heard crazy sums like $10k USD

A few of them should get together and hire a pilot that wants to make some bucks, a private plane from DR to USA is insanely easy (Not endorsing it, simply seems to make more sense)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What do the people pay the "Coyotes" or whatever they are called to take them across the passage? I have heard crazy sums like $10k USD

i do not think it's that much. but yeah, they could make much better use of whatever money they pay for that: start a hot dog cart, open a tiny salon, buy few washing machines for rent and so on. much better than face to face date with a shark.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i do not think it's that much. but yeah, they could make much better use of whatever money they pay for that: start a hot dog cart, open a tiny salon, buy few washing machines for rent and so on. much better than face to face date with a shark.

problem is, dv8, they have dreams that are bigger than reality. they see ballplayers coming home for vacation with all the bling, and will never be satisfied with just a normal day to day struggle. they believe that if they get to Nueba Yol, they too will be driving a Lexus before Christmas.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've seen three times newly arrove latinas in Miami going to the Mercedes dealer to have a pic taken in a new Mercedes to send back home with "Look what my Gringo bought me."

Caribbean people do it all the time. they rent suits and all kinds of things, take pictures in them, and send to family back home. they are working as parking garage attendants, and get friends to take pictures of them in expensive cars, an email the photos to family members back home in the outback..

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Caribbean people do it all the time. they rent suits and all kinds of things, take pictures in them, and send to family back home. they are working as parking garage attendants, and get friends to take pictures of them in expensive cars, an email the photos to family members back home in the outback..

Excessive love of display seems to be the proverbial tie that binds us, of sorts. Although that kind of behavior can be very dangerous among the wrong crowd these days.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Love of display seems to be the tie that binds us, of sorts. Although that kind of behavior can be very dangerous among the wrong crowd these days.

Caribbean people love the show, and appearance of affluence. when i was a kid growing up, my mother would ask me my shoe size, walk into Thom McAn, and buy what she chose. nowadays, if parents don't bring home the Air Jordans, the kids don't want to wear what mom or dad bought. i say let them go work and buy what they want.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Caribbean people love the show, and appearance of affluence. when i was a kid growing up, my mother would ask me my shoe size, walk into Thom McAn, and buy what she chose. nowadays, if parents don't bring home the Air Jordans, the kids don't want to wear what mom or dad bought. i say let them go work and buy what they want.

Kind of reminds me of this book:

No Logo

Brands seem to be more important than functionality. :tired:

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

Wow Thom McCan! You're going waaayyyy bbbaaaaacckk. I remember using the string to measure my foot and sending it to my mother; already living in the States. Even the cardboard cut outs :)))

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Everyone does it, including the gringos. Run up the credit cards, take out the equity from our homes, take a picture of the nice vacation and sweet wheels. Look at me!!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wow Thom McCan! You're going waaayyyy bbbaaaaacckk. I remember using the string to measure my foot and sending it to my mother; already living in the States. Even the cardboard cut outs :)))

dude, i go waaaaay back. remember the first Hush Puppies?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Some think that the streets in the US are paved with gold just waiting for them. And when and if they do make it to the US reality sinks in. Many live worse in the US than they did here in the DR. A lot just want that quick money anyway they can get it and because of that many find themselves going back to the DR in a wooden box or on that monthly flight that brings back the deportees. It takes a lot of sacrifice to make a good life in the US and many are not willing to do that. But that does not stop them from trying to get to the US by any means possible.