Travelling around the country

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Well I did it. I finally did what I have been trying to see if I could do for a long time...I took guaguas all over the country... and saw so much ... albeit the trips took forever.. but the memories I have of the bone=shaking trips in guaguas are priceless..... from Mao to Puerto Plata to Rio San Juan( the coastline views I had been hoping to see were not what I thought they would be) and on via Nagua and Sanchez to las Terrenas... overnight......300 pesos.. three guaguas..... 6 hours!!.. from las Terrenas to Santiago via san Francisco de Marcoris and La vega another 300 pesos... Santiago to Santo domingo 220 pesos...stayed at Vista Hotel in la Espana 800 pesos a night... very nice,.....( actually a cabana but very nice indeed).. next day to san Pedro de Marcoris,on to Seibo and saw some of the most shocking Haitian poverty slums I had ever seen... then off to La Romana and Bayahibe, returning next day to Jarabacoa.....I love travelling like this... real people, real fun, singing, music, vendors, true adventure..... and genuine courtesy.. God I so love the DR.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i must say that i really appreciate getting around in the comfort of my own car. but back in the day when i used guaguas i always enjoyed that. it was always fun. i was never bothered by the noise, crowds and strange goods carried by passengers. each trip was a small adventure. so i get the drift. glad you enjoyed it :)

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I just did it til O'Kap. Ok, was with caribe, but next time with taptap all the way. I love it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I prefer it the other way round: trips around the island in pickup ( u can always sleep in it-which we ve done a lot), shopping, visiting, trips to Sdq, administrive in guagua, carro publico, motoconcho. And I love it too....

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Seeing the "Island" from another view...would love to hear more about your trip.

Aug 19, 2004
And still plenty of country to do!

I once remember being in Barahona and think I could wait 3 hours for the Caribe Tour bus or catch the next guagua - Took the guagua but Caribe tours was still faster.

On the London Underground people try to visit all stations in the quickest amount of time - I think a new record has just been set.

Perhaps DR1 could sponsor something similar for the DR - from Santo Domingo visit Monte Cristi, Perdenales, Bavaro and Samana Town in the quickest time by guagua!

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
And still plenty of country to do!

I once remember being in Barahona and think I could wait 3 hours for the Caribe Tour bus or catch the next guagua - Took the guagua but Caribe tours was still faster.

On the London Underground people try to visit all stations in the quickest amount of time - I think a new record has just been set.

Perhaps DR1 could sponsor something similar for the DR - from Santo Domingo visit Monte Cristi, Perdenales, Bavaro and Samana Town in the quickest time by guagua!

barahona is next on my list when I get back in December... but I am unsure how to go about that one... I d love to go SDQ tp Barahona, pedernales, and up along the frontier to Monti Cristi but fear I may have issues due to terrain... any ideas??

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Sounds like fun, I've also been wanting to do this, but with a group of at least three people. Hopefully I'll do it on my next vacation, just gotta find the other people who would be willing to join me, which wont be easy, the average Dominican is not too fond of such adventures.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We're taking a trek to Barahona late Feb/early March, six of us so far: two Dominicans, three Americans and a Brit. Should be fun!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
We're taking a trek to Barahona late Feb/early March, six of us so far: two Dominicans, three Americans and a Brit. Should be fun!

Stretch it a little bit into Pedernales if you can. Bahia de las Aguilas is something else.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Stretch it a little bit into Pedernales if you can. Bahia de las Aguilas is something else.

We do plan to go to Bahia del las Aguilas. Not sure there will be enough time this trip for Pedernales, one of the others has to work [unless we can convince her to get a sub] :cheeky:

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
We do plan to go to Bahia del las Aguilas. Not sure there will be enough time this trip for Pedernales, one of the others has to work [unless we can convince her to get a sub] :cheeky:

is it possible to go up the whole frontier by guagua from Pedernales?