Sharing a taxi

backpacker

Aug 29, 2013
Please be gentle. I am landing at STI, yes because it is the cheapest airport into DR, and would like to know how easy/difficult it is to find someone(s) to share a taxi with to Cabarete. Are people approached at the airport by other travellers asking to share a taxi?

Based on my research, it appears as though the cheapest alternative for me is to wait until the sun comes up and head out of the airport and wait for a cab to the Metro/Caribe station for a bus to Sosua and then on to Caberete. I appreciate the majority of posters on this forum would fly directly into POP and then cab it to Caberete or even taxi directly from STI.

First time to the DR and I do like to backpack so travelling with locals is part of the fun for me. Taking a taxi directly from the airport for $100 is something I won't entertain. I know the country is not backpack friendly but I want to experience this land that a lot of you love.

I would love any suggestions other than telling me to save more money.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Hey , if you land between monday and friday you can sleep in pegasus caba?a in santiago its neat from 8 pm to 8 am deal for 400 peso. Emi taxi service brings you to cabarete for 3000 peso if you call them. Remember if you spend the night in santiago you also have to pay a cab to bring you to pegasus then take caribe tours to cabarete its only 160 peso from santiago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
taxi sharing is rare, i would think, unless you find a fellow backpacker. screen arriving folks and you may find a friendly soul. your cheapest option is as you described. go to the city and take a guagua. i would stay away from metro or caribe because they go on schedule and start late. try smaller companies, they usually leave at 5am or so. cheap and cheerful.

Aug 6, 2006
All you need to do is get to the highway, go to Santiago, then take a bus or guagua to Cabarete. Try finding a short ride to the highway from the arrival deck of the airport. I have not been there, but you can ask.

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
Take a taxi to Caribe Tours bus station to Cabarete.

- Taxi $1000 DOP
- Caribe Tours Ticket to Sosua $160.00 DOP
- Another bus from there to Cabarete $130.00 DOP

Hopefully prices have not changed since the last time that I went there. Is like $35.00 USD

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Take a taxi to Caribe Tours bus station to Cabarete.

- Taxi $1000 DOP
- Caribe Tours Ticket to Sosua $160.00 DOP
- Another bus from there to Cabarete $130.00 DOP

Hopefully prices have not changed since the last time that I went there. Is like $35.00 USD

Hopefully???? its 25 pesos Sosua to Cabarete.....if you go Metro, they stop right in front of the carito publico and its still 25 pesos Sosua - Cabarete......

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
H conscience is right! Late night arrival, its better to stay in a cabana till the next day a rest. The airport is out of the city and the cabanas are between the airport and the city. Take a taxi to a cabana, spend the night and relax, and then take another taxi to Metro or Caribe tours the next day, you might even want to check out santiago ....

Informacion General - Aeropuerto Internacional del Cibao

Metro ST Autobuses

Caribe Tours | Listado de Precios por Rutas

as far as cabanas go, i couldnt tell you where to go, havent been in cabanas over there in a while...

Good Luck and be careful!